What's new

Draft is tommorrow!

Teal Shadow

Muckdog
Reaction score
I have no I idea... but I hope for one of this two kids will be there:
1.RHP Jeff Allison, Veterans Memorial (Mass.) HS
2.LHP John Danks, Round Rock (Texas) HS
This two kids will be have least about of ? going into the draft and could be pitching in ML in three years.

*The hometown favorite is LHP Andrew Miller, Buchholz (Fla.) HS has control problems but could be the Malrins top selection.

*Marlins connection SS Sean Rodriguez, Braddock (Fla.) HS is the son of Marlin coach Johnny Rodriguez (hitting instructor for the gulf coast Marlins) could taken by the Marlins in second or third

*Lowell replacement? 3B Ian Stewart, La Quinta (Calif.) HS is the top 3B in the draft and could be there at 16th

*DLee replacement? 1B Michael Aubrey, Tulane the top 1B in the draft Todd Helton clone a hitting machine similar hype to Pat Burrell coming out of Miami

Best Fastball? RHP Craig Whitaker, Lufkin (Texas) HS at topping at 98 mph in his last HS start another big texas pitcher and has one of best curveball

Mock Draft
1. Baseball America Marlins taking LHP Andrew Miller
2. Teamonebaseball Marlins taking RHP Craig Whitaker
3. Prospectreport Marlins taking LHP Andrew Miller

I hope they take a lefty that's all.... :D

Das Texan

Loria can kiss my ass
VIP
Reaction score
more infatuation with high school players....

come on.

Teal Shadow

Muckdog
Reaction score
pete gammons has a nice article on the upcoming draft, also alot of attention about how the A's were build through good draft and scouting. Pete has a nice write up on how Twins did it. Also pete takes his almost weekly shot at the Marlins with Beckett 5yrs in with only 10wins and Zito with 53

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/gammons/story?id=1561843

Wild Card

Muckdog
Reaction score
Also pete takes his almost weekly shot at the Marlins with Beckett 5yrs in with only 10wins and Zito with 53
Like Beckett is bad or something?

C'mon Pete... :banghead

Marlins Bandit

Muckdog
Reaction score
I am hoping for either Ian Stewart, Lastings Milledge or Jeff Allison.

While all three may be gone when we select, almost certain Allison will be, it would be great to nab one.

--Allison has been compared to Beckett and maybe an even better prospect than Beckett was coming out of HS. He is 6'2'', 195. Look at his final numbers this year: 7-0, 51 IP, 118 K, 9 BB, 7 H, 0.00 ERA
Here is his Bio:
Scouting Report: Allison was the ace of Team USA's junior national team that finished third at the world junior championship in Sherbrooke, Quebec, last summer. He had 17 strikeouts in 14 innings, and threw a complete-game four-hitter against Venezuela. He has been even more dominating this spring and had the second highest grade turned in by the Major League Scouting Bureau at one point this year. Allison was a perfect 6-0, 0.00 with 102 strikeouts in 44 innings. He had allowed only five hits and seven walks. Allison's raw stuff is electric, which has made him the top high school pitching prospect in the draft. He has a lean athletic body with a weak upper half, long lanky arms, and muscular legs. He has a no windup delivery and generates serious arm speed from a three-quarters slot which enables him to run his fastball up into the 96-97 mph range with nasty movement. He complements his heater with an above average 86-88 mph tilted slider and a 82-84 mph curve with excellent spin, bite, and two-plane break. He shows an occasional 76-77 mph change and does an excellent job of repeating his delivery and commanding both sides of the plate. Allison has some minor mechanical faults that need to be addressed. At times, he rushes through his balance point in his delivery, causing his arm to drag. He also lands on a stiff front leg, hyper-extending his knee, and has some recoil in his delivery. Scouts say he's cocky, to a point of being uncoachable at times.

--Stewart is a 3B who has been compared to Eric Chavez (a better comparison than last year's bum Hermida). He has a great stroke and can hit for average and power. He is a solid 6'3'', 195 and can add more weight as he fills out. If we take him he can play 3B and move Cabrera to OF. His stats are: .487 with 15 HR
Scouting Report: Even though he was the star player on the nation's No. 1 high school team at the start of the season, Stewart has actually improved his stock. He was a borderline first-round pick coming in but now ranks as a fringe top 10 pick overall. He has exceptional bat speed and more power even than Delmon Young, according to some scouts. Though his swing is flat and lacks tilt, he projects 35-40 homers a year in the big leagues. His power is to all fields. On the season, Stewart was hitting .487-15-60. A Southern California recruit, Stewart's bat compares favorably to two former Trojan lefthanded-hitting third base recruits: the A's Eric Chavez and the Padres' Sean Burroughs, both former first-rounders. The 6-foot-3, 205-pound Stewart would be a certain top 10 talent if scouts were convinced he could play third base down the road, though he'll likely be given every chance to play his way off the position. More than likely, he'll end up at first base or left field.

--Milledge is a classic "tools" player with pluses across the board. He has questionable character but was the top HS player just 6 months ago.
6'1'', 185. Stats are .414 with 10 HR.
Scouting Report: Milledge's tools stack up well against fellow Florida outfielder Ryan Harvey's, though they come in a smaller package (6-foot-1, 185 pounds). He has one of the quickest bats in the draft, and his arm and speed both rate 70s on the 20-80 scouting scale. He emerged as a prospect before Harvey did and has had a hard time living up to the excessive hype?an almost impossible task in any case. After tying Delmon Young for the Team USA juniors batting lead at .474 last summer, he struggled at the Baseball America/Perfect Game World Wood Bat showcase last October. At times this spring, he showed holes against breaking pitches and an inability to adjust against top pitchers. In 2002, he was investigated for improper conduct with a female minor, and though he never was formally charged, the incident has scared off some clubs. Milledge was gaining momentum as the draft approached and helped his cause with a homer off Sarasota High ace James Houser in mid-April. Milledge could go as high as eighth overall to the Pirates, and he also could drop to the second half of the first round if there's a run on college players.

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
i think Milledge will go in the top 8

Stewart and Allison will be closer to our pick and we may come up short(i hope not)

from what I have heard/read, Delmon Young is gonna be some player

Marlins Bandit

Muckdog
Reaction score
i think Milledge will go in the top 8

Stewart and Allison will be closer to our pick and we may come up short(i hope not)

from what I have heard/read, Delmon Young is gonna be some player
Yeah Young is supposed to be a great player. Ryan Harvey's ceiling may be just as high and I think Richie Weeks will be great too. I think Allison, if healthy, will end up being the best player in the entire draft.

However, I do not think we will have any shot at him. Of the three players I mentioned, Allison is most likely to be gone before we pick. I would be very surprised if he got past the Pirates at #8 from what I am hearing. That might be some combo if they all make it: Sean Burnett, Bobby Bradley, Jeff Allison, Kris Benson, and John VanBenschoten. The Pirates may opt somehow for Stewart maybe or even Maholm.

As far as Stewart, the Rockies seem to be most likely for him to be selected and I believe they select 10th.

As far as Milledge, the earliest I see him going, which is very likely, is #9 to Texas. However, if he slips past Texas then there is a real shot of him making it to #16.

Wild Card

Muckdog
Reaction score
And the "Mel Kipper JR" award of excellent draft analysis for Baseball is...

Marlins Bandit! *(everyone acts shocked and happy)* :p ;)

Das Texan

Loria can kiss my ass
VIP
Reaction score
Nobody really gives a damn about the baseball draft.....

When some global concrete rules are established then maybe people will care.

Marlins Bandit

Muckdog
Reaction score
And the "Mel Kipper JR" award of excellent draft analysis for Baseball is...

Marlins Bandit! *(everyone acts shocked and happy)* :p ;)
Thanks, I take this award with great pride

Marlins Bandit

Muckdog
Reaction score
Nobody really gives a damn about the baseball draft.....

When some global concrete rules are established then maybe people will care.
Always the optimist, ladies and gentlemen, Das Texan has arrived.

Actually, contrary to your (surprise, surprise) negative beliefs, some people do care and adding a globalness to the draft may make even more people care.

Das Texan

Loria can kiss my ass
VIP
Reaction score
Yes I know some people care about the draft.

Unfortunately that percentage is vastly, vastly behind their basketball and football brothers.

Making the draft global and working out a television deal would make people care more. The everyday fan knows jack about the players drafted before and after the draft....

RossInfoMan

Muckdog
Reaction score
I dont think its pessimistic to say there is no interest in the baseball draft, its the truth. Not one pick ever of a baseball draft has ever been televised. The NHL draft, where most Americans have not even heard of the top pick, is shown throughout North America. Even the WNBA draft, no slant against womens sports intended, is shown live. I think the fact that there are so many players drafted and such a small percentage make the majors, even less with the team they were drafted by has a lot to do with it.

Das Texan

Loria can kiss my ass
VIP
Reaction score
I am realistic people.

I am not trying to sugarcoat things.

What makes you think people care about the baseball draft?

Question

minus

Muckdog
Reaction score
I am realistic people.

I am not trying to sugarcoat things.

What makes you think people care about the baseball draft?

Question
You're right .......

Who cares about Baseball draft.

Hotcorner

Muckdog
Reaction score
Actually, contrary to your (surprise, surprise) negative beliefs, some people do care and adding a globalness to the draft may make even more people care.
the baseball draft is so much of a crap shoot, seems like after the first round you're just as likely to get a good player in the 8th round than in the 2nd....

Mephisto

Muckdog
Reaction score
pete gammons has a nice article on the upcoming draft, also alot of attention about how the A's were build through good draft and scouting. Pete has a nice write up on how Twins did it. Also pete takes his almost weekly shot at the Marlins with Beckett 5yrs in with only 10wins and Zito with 53

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/gammons/story?id=1561843
It was not Gammons that said that it was some GM.

BTW: I think Allison will slide in the draft because GMs and scounts are going with Collage pithchers instead of HS pithchers and because Allison's delivery gives him a good chance of getting injured which off course will scare some teams including the marlins.

Top Bottom