What's new

Droppin knowledge...

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
So I was in contact with someone who will be chiming in with his thoughts for the draft and other stuff with the Marlins... I learned 3 things today
  • Brett Hayes is less than a year away. Defensively he is ready. If there was an injury to John Baker, he would be next in line. If not this year, we will see him in 2008 if the offense is even remotely adequate.
  • Brett Carroll hasn't looked this good since the day we signed him. He is showing power to all fields and his arm is fantastic. If things continue to progress like they have in CF for the Marlins, Brett will get his chance to shine sooner than later
  • My question was "if Wieters is there at 12, will we take him"... the reply was delayed by nervous laughter and then a "I guess we'll see"
  • I fired out 2 other questions to him. First, "if you were a team who needed a major league arm out of the Marlins minors, who would you grab"? His answer was Gaby Hernandez. Second was "for the long term, who's your arm?". The answer was Aaron Thompson.

Hollyberry

Muckdog
Reaction score
Thanks for all the info.

Hayes - When you say he is a year away do you mean major leagues? (I just want to make sure). And for Carroll, did you hear anything about the Marlins thinking about bringing him up?

Thanks.

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
yes Holly, a year away

as for Carroll, he's atleast a few weeks away

So looks like Hayes might be the starter next year afterall, presumably having to win the job in ST.

The_Godfather

Muckdog
Reaction score
next year could we be looking at a hayes-baker combo?

My god I hope so. I've been calling Hayes the 2008 starter for awhile now. Ramp, did he drop any names of who they they might be targeting in the draft?

Nny

Muckdog
Reaction score
What is considered "remotely adequate"? sub-.650 OPS good enough?

Considering his Jamestown and Greensboro numbers, really points to him being a black hole. His AA numbers look good, until you look at the splits (.182 baa against righties)...but he lit up Jupiter and his Greensboro splits weren't that far off one another. I'll still take a 24 year old deffensive minded catcher next year though, expecially since pitching is the strong suit of the orginzation.

Does this mean the FO is banking on him for being the catcher out of ST next year then? I mean, I know it's a long way away and things change, but "If the offense is even remotely adequate" sounds like they're banking on him. Or is it more of just a "If he's ready, he's ready. If he's not, he's not." type of situation

Bucklin12

Muckdog
Reaction score
I bet we see Carroll soon after the All-Star break, since De Aza doesn't look close... even then, I bet Carroll could keep the job.

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
next year could we be looking at a hayes-baker combo?

My god I hope so. I've been calling Hayes the 2008 starter for awhile now. Ramp, did he drop any names of who they they might be targeting in the draft?
Really wouldn't say much about the draft... and understandably too

Hollyberry

Muckdog
Reaction score
I was not sure where to put this but I am "watching" gameday (Albuquerque) and Brett Carroll is not starting tonight... Could this be a day off for Brett or should we think something else might be going on?

*I think too much about this when I am bored and doing homework*

TSwift25

Muckdog
Reaction score
Assuming Tampa takes Price #1 (I'd be shocked if they didn't) I can see KC pass on Weiters and take Porcello, but I can't see Weiter pass Baltimore at 5 or San Fran at 10...even with the Boras factor.

Don't we have an unofficial no Boras policy on draft day anyway? After Hansen I was under that impression.

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
Coghlan was a Boras guy

anyway, if we go with pitching, I pray it's Jarrod Parker

The_Godfather

Muckdog
Reaction score
Coghlan was a Boras guy

anyway, if we go with pitching, I pray it's Jarrod Parker

After watching some video I really like Parker too, but I'm not sure he will drop to us. I bet we end up with a Blake Beaven, who I had ranked higher than Parker until I saw Jarrod's video. Parker's fastball just explodes late and he has such a clean delivery. Also, I saw Moustakas video, and now I am hoping he does NOT fall to us. He has bust written all over him and I am judging simply by his size. He is listed at 6 feet, but he looks about 5'10'' and a frumpy 210-215. No thanks!

Fishfan79

Muckdog
Reaction score
Caroll hasnt done it at any other level before this, what caused this big change?

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
Caroll hasnt done it at any other level before this, what caused this big change?
well he was having a fine year in AA

sometimes things just "click"

or maybe it's just a hotstreak

Top Bottom