What's new

Duncan wins MVP again

Credit ESPN.com

Tim Duncan of the San Antonio Spurs has won the balloting for the NBA's Most Valuable Player award, The Associated Press learned Saturday.

Duncan becomes the first player since Michael Jordan in 1991 and 1992 to win the league's most coveted individual award in consecutive seasons.

The San Antonio Express-News was the first news organization to learn of Duncan's selection, reporting the news on its Web site early Saturday. A basketball source with knowledge of the final vote totals, speaking on condition of anonymity, confirmed to the AP that Duncan had indeed won the award.

An official announcement is to be made Sunday on ABC.

Duncan led the Spurs to the league's best record, 60-22, while averaging 23.3 points and career highs in rebounds (12.9), assists (3.9) and blocks (2.92).

He beat a number of worthy candidates, including Minnesota's Kevin Garnett, Orlando's Tracy McGrady, Allen Iverson of Philadelphia and Kobe Bryant and Shaquille O'Neal of the three-time defending champion Los Angeles Lakers.

Writers and broadcasters from the 29 NBA cities voted on the MVP award, sending their ballots in at the conclusion of the regular season.

Duncan is the seventh player to win the award in consecutive seasons, joining Jordan, Magic Johnson, Admin Bird, Moses Malone, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Wilt Chamberlain and Bill Russell.

Duncan will receive his trophy one day before the Spurs open the second round of the playoffs against the Lakers.

Los Angeles has knocked San Antonio out of the postseason in each of the past two seasons, needing only four games to do so in 2000-01 and five games to do it last season.

Duncan, in his sixth NBA season, will be a member of the U.S. Olympic team in 2004. He was supposed to be on the 2000 Olympic team a year after winning the NBA championship with the Spurs, but an injury forced him to withdraw from the squad that won the gold medal in Sydney.

Duncan, 27, is a five-time All-Star and was chosen Most Valuable Player of the 1999 NBA Finals.

Das Texan

Loria can kiss my ass
VIP
Dasshole
Reaction score
allright....

great to hear that timmy is joining truly elite company with this award.

next on the list....

lakers.

Phlub

Muckdog
Reaction score
What crap that is!

Look at Kevin Garnetts stats...

Put them head to head with Tim Duncan's, KG wins the stat battle against every single one of the MVP candidates.

He carried the Wolves to their best season ever, best record ever, best playoff seeding ever, and almost beat the 3 time champs who are now on their way to a 4th, sorry Das Texan.

But the Lakers will beat you guys and KG is truely the MVP. But I have learned not to get worked up about this stuff, like this year Brett Favre in football was unquestionably the MVP but of course since Gannon was on the Raiders a bigger name team, and had Brown and Rice he won it.

Das Texan

Loria can kiss my ass
VIP
Dasshole
Reaction score
I wanted the Puppies to win that series also...I really did.

But the Lakers are going down, just you watch.

Phlub

Muckdog
Reaction score
Well I'm a HUGE Wolves fan.

And all I wanted was for them to win just one series. Just one. And well they didn't.

I am cheering for the Spurs man, no doubt, but the Lakers are going to win it all again. You watch.

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
like this year Brett Favre in football was unquestionably the MVP but of course since Gannon was on the Raiders a bigger name team, and had Brown and Rice he won it.
Raiders a bigger name team than the Packers?

what are you :hat ?

Rune

Muckdog
Reaction score
Duncan's winning again hopefully show's the drones of youth who want to be Pro's that you do not need to be flashy or cause controversy to win.

Maxx

Chief Operating Officer
Reaction score
like this year Brett Favre in football was unquestionably the MVP but of course since Gannon was on the Raiders a bigger name team, and had Brown and Rice he won it.
Raiders a bigger name team than the Packers?

what are you :hat ? Same thing I was thinking. Packers pretty much signify football.

Das Texan

Loria can kiss my ass
VIP
Dasshole
Reaction score
Duncan's winning again hopefully show's the drones of youth who want to be Pro's that you do not need to be flashy or cause controversy to win.
excellent point Rune.

Phlub

Muckdog
Reaction score
I love the Packers more then life itself. My bedroom is painted green and gold and decorated with Packers trim, posters, hats, auotgraphed photos, etc., etc.

But they talk way more of the Raiders then they do my beloved Green Bay Packers. The Packers aren't that say "popular" with the media.

Despite the fact that according to the Harris Poll (the poll that does the Presidents approval ratings) Green Bay has the most fans. And according to ESPN they are the Ultimate Team in sports.

Okay thats fine and dandy, but my Pack I just don't think gets the recognition they deserve even though they have the greatest football player of all time in Favre and 12 World Championships and 3 Super Bowls.

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
the Packers arent talked about?

come on....

Chris Berman loves to talk about the Packers......."the forzen tundra of Lambeau Field"

honestly you have no clue what you are talking about.....

PACKERS=FOOTBALL.

:banghead

Phlub

Muckdog
Reaction score
Don't say I have no clue what I am talking about,

This year I predicted every teams record right, every division right, and the super bowl right, minus the fact I had Green Bay over Oakland, (heres the scary part....) 48-21! :eek:

Just well I don't know. I probably am on some kind of drug and don't know it, because ESPN just did a thing on the Packers as I read that last post.
Never mind! I'm hallucinating again! :p

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
This year I predicted every teams record right, every division right, and the super bowl right, minus the fact I had Green Bay over Oakland, (heres the scary part....) 48-21! ohmy.gif
ok Nostradamus....

i said you have no clue about the Packers not getting any tv team.....they are on all the time.....

again FOOTBALL=PACKERS

Phlub

Muckdog
Reaction score
Yes I know thats what you meant, and well I just wanted to make sure I had covered all the bases (no pun intended)

And well I did do those Predictions, I can scan them for you, or take you to the forum I made them on. Posts are dated and everything.

Top Bottom