What's new

Everywhere I Go...

Ravenlord

Muckdog
Reaction score
at Redszone, at Fan Home, at Oakball, at ESPN, at MSN, everywhere, i see this:

Luis Castillo and Brad Penny for_________________

A). Adam Dunn (LF-1B Cincinnati)

B). Jose Guillen (OF), Ty Howington (SP), Steve Smitherman (OF)

C). Felipe Lopez (SS-3B-2B), Jose Guilen (OF), Ty Howington (SP)/Seth Eltherton(SP)

D). Ken Griffey Jr. (CF), Ty Howington(SP)/Seth Eltherton(SP), Brandon Larson (3B-LF)

and even variations of those, but these are the basic 4.

because i keep hearing this, i'm begining to think one of the above 3 will happen.

now, what i want to know, would your GM make any of those moves. because it seems to me in all, except for maybe option C (only if you can straighten out Lopez) th Marlins are getting hosed.

AJBurnett34

Muckdog
Reaction score
Yea there was a rumor of us getting Adam Dunn and Jose guillen and all those people but when the Reds found out that Penny had Arm problems in the Off season they cut the deal off....

Ravenlord

Muckdog
Reaction score
Yea there was a rumor of us getting Adam Dunn and Jose guillen and all those people but when the Reds found out that Penny had Arm problems in the Off season they cut the deal off....
wow, with the history of arm problems i'm amazed Bowden didn't jump all over it. actually i never heard the Dunn for Castillo and Penny deal until yesterday.

some of the "arms" JimBo has signed the last few years:
Pete Harnish (resigned him after blowing out his arm)
Jamie Navaro
Ty Howington (rotator cuff in high school)
Josais Manzanillo
Scott Williamson (throwing the way he does, another Tommy John will be coming soon)
Joey Hamilton
Kent Mercker
Jose Rijo (who's finally retiring)
Mark Wholers
Denny Neagle (can't remember if he was pre-arm problem)

and i could keep going, but i'll stop at the 2000 season. seems like if a guy has arm problems, JimBo is more apt to sign him.

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
at Redszone, at Fan Home, at Oakball, at ESPN, at MSN, everywhere, i see this:

Luis Castillo and Brad Penny for_________________

A). Adam Dunn (LF-1B Cincinnati)

B). Jose Guillen (OF), Ty Howington (SP), Steve Smitherman (OF)

C). Felipe Lopez (SS-3B-2B), Jose Guilen (OF), Ty Howington (SP)/Seth Eltherton(SP)

D). Ken Griffey Jr. (CF), Ty Howington(SP)/Seth Eltherton(SP), Brandon Larson (3B-LF)

and even variations of those, but these are the basic 4.

because i keep hearing this, i'm begining to think one of the above 3 will happen.

now, what i want to know, would your GM make any of those moves. because it seems to me in all, except for maybe option C (only if you can straighten out Lopez) th Marlins are getting hosed.
I gotta think we would do Castillo and Penny for Dunn.... it saves us alot of money

now with the Griffey deal, you guys would have to eat alot of his salary(in other words i dont see that happening)

the Howington, Guillen, Smitherman deal is solid too....but id rather have Dunn i think

marlins02

i like option C because Lopez sometimes looks like an incredible fielder especially at SS. but with us obviously he would play 2nd, but still when he's on he can make some crazy plays, he has to focus more on the fundamental plays though and improve his hitting but lets not forget about Castillo when he started, it wasnt that pretty. Guillen could play LF and hit well enough and provide enough pop to send Hollandsworth to the bench. someone tell me about the pitchers because ive never really seen them. Dunn on his own wont cut it, and Griffey, well hell hasnt frozen over yet and given our marlins yankees type revenue. also with the way Griffey has struggled with injuries im not sure i would want him here. he's still Griffey but you cant do anything from the DL no matter how great you are

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
Ty Howington
Age: 22. B-T: B-L. Ht.: 6-5. Wt.: 220. Drafted: HS?Vancouver, Wash. 1999 (1st round). Signed by: Howard Bowens.

Background: Considered the top southpaw in the 1999 draft, Howington has been stymied by injuries since signing for $1.75 million. He overcame arthroscopic elbow surgery in the spring of 2001 but wasn?t as successful trying to work through shoulder tendinitis last year. He was shut down in April, returned in June, then had his season end in early August.

Strengths: The Reds expect Howington to regain the velocity on his plus fastball. He threw 92-94 mph prior to 2002, when he still got to 89 with a dead arm. His pitches have life down in the strike zone. He flashes an above-average curveball and good fading changeup.

Weaknesses: Howington?s mechanical flaws are probably the root of his injuries. He was cutting his delivery off, putting unnecessary stress on his arm. More consistent mechanics not only will keep him healthy, but also will improve the quality of his three pitches.

The Future: Howington was back throwing darts in instructional league, hitting 89-91 mph without pain. At 22, he?s still on schedule and will try to re-establish himself in Double-A.

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
stats on OF Steve Smitherman
Code:
-BATTERS               AVG   G  AB   R   H  TB 2B 3B HR RBI SH SF HP  BB IB  SO  SB CS DP   SLG   OBP  
 Smitherman, Stephen  .327  64 223  36  73 131 14  1 14  46  0  2  3  30  2  54   5  1  4  .587  .411

Ravenlord

Muckdog
Reaction score
Seth Eltherton

Code:
Player ?W ?L ?ERA ?G ?CG ?SHO ?SV ?IP ?H ?R ?ER ?HR ?BB ?SO 
Etherton 2 4 4.50 9 0 0 0 50 62 27 25 5 12 3
Eltherton is also returning from injury and is trying to straighten out his mechanics.

marlins02

damn that was quick. i like Howingtons size and fact that he's a lefty but those arm troubles are scary, especially because of the mechanical problems. but he has a good upside with a well developed change-up and curveball, good that he hasnt felt pain this year. guess thats why he's a prospect, they're all gambles

Marlins Bandit

Muckdog
Reaction score
Ty Howington SUCKS!

He has a 4-5 record with a 4.71 ERA with 70 Hits allowed and 25 BB in 57 IP, good enough for a 1.67 WHIP in just class A ball! He blows, I would rather have Fidel Castro pitch for me.

Wild Card

Muckdog
Reaction score
If I am going to take one of these options, it is definately A...

SportsCenter

Muckdog
Reaction score
Dunn strikes out a lil too much ! He homerun or nothin

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
Dunn strikes out a lil too much ! He homerun or nothin again.

he is 24

Rune

Muckdog
Reaction score
Most of those deals seem like Bull simply on the fact that teams know The Fish have to dump these guys or risk getting nothing when they leave so. I doubt The Griffey or Dunn deals would ever happen plus The Reds would not be that stupid to trade Dunn for just Penny and Castillo.

A Mediocre Pitcher who yes could grow but has yet too... And an overrated over priced Second.

SportsCenter

Muckdog
Reaction score
Griffey will not be a Red for that long , remeber he almost got trade to the O's so i think this will be his last year as a Red

minus

Muckdog
Reaction score
Most of those deals seem like Bull simply on the fact that teams know The Fish have to dump these guys or risk getting nothing when they leave so. I doubt The Griffey or Dunn deals would ever happen plus The Reds would not be that stupid to trade Dunn for just Penny and Castillo.

A Mediocre Pitcher who yes could grow but has yet too... And an overrated over priced Second.
Luis Castillo
Overrated? No......

Overprice?Yes.......

in reality is not bad deal considering Dunn might never grow out of his strikeouts but could this could turn out one of those that Red organization regret and maybe a life saing trade for Florida Marlins.

Rune

Muckdog
Reaction score

Luis Castillo
Overrated? No......

Overprice?Yes.......

in reality is not bad deal considering Dunn might never grow out of his strikeouts but could this could turn out one of those that Red organization regret and maybe a life saing trade for Florida Marlins. Yes I'm sorry but he is over rated.

Sure his speed is great but you can find any Speedy guy and teach him how to bunt or hit it in the infield to get on...

I just don't consider Castillo one of the best Second's in baseball

SportsCenter

Muckdog
Reaction score
y not ? u cant teach anyone with speed to bunt for singles or hit for infield singles 90% of the time.

Top Bottom