What's new

First Democrat Primary Debate

DaGreatOne

Muckdog
Reaction score
The format sucked and it didnt give candidates enough time to give specifics.

My score card:

1- Edwards- I think he did the best, he looked confident and didnt stumble on his words he also gave the best plan for Healthcare IMO.
2- Dodd- Surprisngly he did excellent. He spoke elqouently when he had the chance and seemed sincere and confident at the same time. Changed my opinion about him. He could make a good VP.
3- Clinton- She was her usual self nothing inspiring but made her points.
4- Obama (btw hes the candidate I'm supporting)- Really struggled in the beginning kind of stumbling on his words but really picked it up in the end. The exchange between him and Kunich was a good one more of that should happen in the next debate.
5- Biden- His yes answer to the question of whether he can control from saying stupid things if elected was funny. Hes always been an excellent speaker but didnt really get much time to say much.
6-Kucinch- Even if he is a bit wacky he did better than I expected which didnt make him seem like such a wack.
7- Richardson- Did awful in my opinion. He couldnt ever finish his response in the allotted time and he seemed to drag a bit. He needs to learn to make his points more concise. It seemed like he had a 4 or 5 point plan for everything. In another time of format that might work but not in this one. He also struggled with the question of why he said he would not vote against Gonzales because he was Hispanic something stupid to say btw.
8- Gravel- I feel bad for the guy. His heart seems to be in the right place but he is way to far to the left plus looked like he was screaming half the time. Funny exchange in the end between him and Obama when he asked, "Obama who are we going to nuke, huh??" Obama responded smilingly and laughing, "Mike I dont plan on bombing anyone." then Grave said, "good were safe for now."

Anyways here are my thoughts.

Anyone else catch it?

Flying_Mollusk

Muckdog
Reaction score
Smart move for Obama to get into it with Kucinich and Gravel.

I agree that nobody really impressed me last night. As hotcorner once pointed out, Dodd is a pretty good speaker.

It was really ackward when they asked Edwards who morally inspired him and he paused for like 30 seconds and then really couldn't say anyone.

DaGreatOne

Muckdog
Reaction score
Smart move for Obama to get into it with Kucinich and Gravel.

I agree that nobody really impressed me last night. As hotcorner once pointed out, Dodd is a pretty good speaker.

It was really ackward when they asked Edwards who morally inspired him and he paused for like 30 seconds and then really couldn't say anyone.

Yeah.

For a minute I thought he was going to pull a Bush and say Jesus.

I agree there was no big winner. According to CQpolitics.com They said it was Al Gore since this gives him more incentive to join the race. I really dont see him joining tho.

Hotcorner

Muckdog
Reaction score
is the video of this available anywhere?

i could probably find it on youtube or something I guess...

DaGreatOne

Muckdog
Reaction score
is the video of this available anywhere?

i could probably find it on youtube or something I guess...

I actually didnt see it live because I was working.

I caught it on msnbc.com

Hotcorner

Muckdog
Reaction score
thx, & interesting thought on Dodd as a VP idea.

DaGreatOne

Muckdog
Reaction score

If Clinton or Obama wins there going to need a white male with experience to compliment the ticket.

Obama/Dodd I can see. Though I think it might be better to get someone else from another part of the country. Obama/Clark would be my ideal ticket. Clark a southerner who is loved around the world with excellent military experience.

I can see Clinton selecting Vilasack or Bayh as VP both support her and are from mid-western states.

If Biden didnt run his mouth so much he would be an excellent VP or even President.

I really dont see Richardson getting a VP nom. The anti-immigration sentiment going around the country is quite strong even among moderates, bad time for Richardson to be running, though he has the most experience from them all and would have the credentials for it.

What would interest me would be who would Edwards select as a VP mate? Nobody really stands out to me.

Flying_Mollusk

Muckdog
Reaction score

If Clinton or Obama wins there going to need a white male with experience to compliment the ticket.

Obama/Dodd I can see. Though I think it might be better to get someone else from another part of the country. Obama/Clark would be my ideal ticket. Clark a southerner who is loved around the world with excellent military experience.

I can see Clinton selecting Vilasack or Bayh as VP both support her and are from mid-western states.

If Biden didnt run his mouth so much he would be an excellent VP or even President.

I really dont see Richardson getting a VP nom. The anti-immigration sentiment going around the country is quite strong even among moderates, bad time for Richardson to be running, though he has the most experience from them all and would have the credentials for it.

What would interest me would be who would Edwards select as a VP mate? Nobody really stands out to me.

If it's Obama, look for Tom Daschle. He would be the elder statement that Cheney was for Bush. He is really well liked in the dem circles and has been aggressivley advising Obama. He has that small state appeal and really took his lumps in losing to Thune.

Hotcorner

Muckdog
Reaction score
the Dem debates could be good but most will probably just try & one-up each other in their denouncement of Bush rather than clarifying the differences between one another.

While unlikely, it'll be interesting to see if anyone from the "2nd tier" of candidates can make a move.

I still have a feeling that Gore could jump in the race too.

Juanky

Obama/Clark would be my ideal ticket. Clark a southerner who is loved around the world with excellent military experience.
That would be an incredible ticket for the Democrats. Prop up the Liberal Golden Boy with a general who can appeal to conservative Democrats and some Republicans that are big on national defense but are not liking the direction of the party.

A good chunk of the 2008 election will be decided by the military spending bill.

DaGreatOne

Muckdog
Reaction score

If it's Obama, look for Tom Daschle. He would be the elder statement that Cheney was for Bush. He is really well liked in the dem circles and has been aggressivley advising Obama. He has that small state appeal and really took his lumps in losing to Thune.

Never really thought of that. Thats a good point but I still think Clark with his military background and being a southerner would help Obama a lot.

FutureGM

Muckdog
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that the Democrats can write off the South for good by the next election. However, the rest of the country is in play, with Dems making heavy inroads into the Southwest, Midwest, and Northwest during the last election.

I wonder if Bush realizes that he will doom his party to almost certainly lose in 2008 if he stays in Iraq through the election (which I believe he will do). That, coupled with the lack of a strong GOP frontrunner, makes things even worse.

EricWiener

Muckdog
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that the Democrats can write off the South for good by the next election. However, the rest of the country is in play, with Dems making heavy inroads into the Southwest, Midwest, and Northwest during the last election.

I wonder if Bush realizes that he will doom his party to almost certainly lose in 2008 if he stays in Iraq through the election (which I believe he will do). That, coupled with the lack of a strong GOP frontrunner, makes things even worse.

What "heavy inroads?" New Hampshire? Because the GOP picked up Iowa and New Mexico in the last election and Wisconsin and Minnesota aren't the Dem safe-haven they once were. At most, the Californians moving to AZ are putting that state up for grabs, but that may peak much like Florida did 10 years ago.

Also.... lack of GOP frontrunner? It is MAY 2007! There is no true frontrunner, period, in either party. Though you may want to ask President Howard Dean about that.

Top Bottom