What's new

First Republican Primary Debate

Flying_Mollusk

Muckdog
Reaction score
It's tonight. Ronald Reagan Presidential Library. Fred Thompson still has not declared he will run, but he is the only legit candidate that is missing.

Passion

Muckdog
Reaction score
It's tonight. Ronald Reagan Presidential Library. Fred Thompson still has not declared he will run, but he is the only legit candidate that is missing period.
Fixed.

I think the candidate who will get the most boost from this will be Romney for sure.

The_Godfather

Muckdog
Reaction score
The list of candidates from the Republican side are so,so much stronger compared to the Democrats. I see no way the Republicans can lose in 2008.

Passion

Muckdog
Reaction score
Sans Fred Thompson, I see no one that would beat Obama if he wins the nomination.

CapeFish

Muckdog
Reaction score
MSNBC hosting these 2 debates this far ahead of the elections is incredible. Talk about the media hype. :lol

Nothing like American Politics....I love it...but it is so early!

The Debate will air live on MSNBC, select radio stations nationwide, streamed on MSNBC.com/Politico.com, and on XM 132 via C-SPAN Radio.

CNN is getting its debates setup in New Hampshire. Fox News has a GOP debate scheduled, but the Fox News Democratic Debate was killed by the Nevada Democratic Party.

SoFlaFish

Muckdog
Reaction score
The list of candidates from the Republican side are so,so much stronger compared to the Democrats. I see no way the Republicans can lose in 2008.

What is amazing about your post is that the Republican Party wouldn't even agree with you as they are desperately looking for anyone else other than the sorry sack of candidates they've got now. And don't give me "Rudy" because he will barely survive a Republican primary because he does not appeal to the Primary voter in the South and Midwest.

The_Godfather

Muckdog
Reaction score
Sans Fred Thompson, I see no one that would beat Obama if he wins the nomination.

Obama is a flash in the pan who once everyone realizes is a product of media hype and actually has no values and nothing to stand on will fade away quickly.

Maybe it is just my opinion only, but Giuliani,Thompson and McCain are all much stronger candidates than Hilary(god help us if she wins) and Obama(ugh).

FutureGM

Muckdog
Reaction score

What is amazing about your post is that the Republican Party wouldn't even agree with you as they are desperately looking for anyone else other than the sorry sack of candidates they've got now. And don't give me "Rudy" because he will barely survive a Republican primary because he does not appeal to the Primary voter in the South and Midwest.
That's what I was going to say. The evangelicals are still looking for a social conservative in the group, which doesn't exist yet.

Passion

Muckdog
Reaction score

Obama is a flash in the pan who once everyone realizes is a product of media hype and actually has no values and nothing to stand on will fade away quickly.

Maybe it is just my opinion only, but Giuliani,Thompson and McCain are all much stronger candidates than Hilary(god help us if she wins) and Obama(ugh).
I definitely agree that Obama is a flash in the pan but with the right VP and getting the nomination, I think he will be hard to beat.

Hillary has no chance in hell. None.

I'd be more excited about this (heh) if Fred Thompson was in it, but I'll be watching it with the Sox game on the computer for sure. I agree with Cape that this is way too early for anything meaningful to come with it but if Romney is just decent he will get a boost because he is by far the best speaker of the bunch and the one with the most to gain from more exposure.

Also, lol @ the Libs commenting on a Republican candidate debate.

FutureGM

Muckdog
Reaction score
Romney is behind a man in the polls who isn't even officially running yet. That's never a good sign.

Passion

Muckdog
Reaction score
Like I said, he will get a boost because he has the most to gain from more exposure in this format. The national polls are useless right now because its more name recoginition then anything.

As for that man he trails in the polls who isn't officially running yet, if I was a democrat, I'd be throwing pennies in to wells, blowing out birthday candles, and permanently crossing my fingers that Fred Thompson doesn't put his name in the ring.

FutureGM

Muckdog
Reaction score
Obama will still beat Fred Thompson. As long as he has a decent VP candidate, he will be able to beat any potential GOP candidate, IMO.

Thompson is likely going to gain ground after this debate, I would imagine. I'm sure guys like Tommy Thompson and Tom Tancredo will be non-entities after this debate.

Hotcorner

Muckdog
Reaction score

I think you're dreaming. Not that the Republicans will lose necessarily, but "so much stronger"?? Uh, no.

strandedx02

Muckdog
Reaction score
Ron Paul.
+1.
But these debates aren't really his best format for the most part, because it's tough to get into constitutional specifics on a 30- or 60-second bit of speech time and for the most part none of the other guys want to talk about principles in that way. Plus some of the questions he could have teed off on never went to him.

I'm thinking of two off the top of my head...the one(s) on corruption, he would have said that naturally, an expansion of the role of the federal government leads to people trying to game the system to get preferential treatment. By sharply reducing the size of government, and allowing it to operate only within a specific legal framework, you reduce its influence and importance, and it would be utterly worthless for people to wave fistfuls of money at legislators and the like.

The one about single mothers in prison (or something like that), many of the people named in the question are nonviolent drug offenders who have done nothing to violate the natural rights of another person and have no business being in jail.

Shaq-Man

Muckdog
Reaction score
who the hell are these people?

i knew almost all of the dem candidates, but i had no clue most of these repub candidates were even considering a run for president.

Passion

Muckdog
Reaction score
I think the candidate who will get the most boost from this will be Romney for sure.
Romney is dominating a poll on Drudge (80k+ votes) on who did the best in the debate (36% to Giuliani's 20% to Ron Paul's 16% [McCain a distant 4th with 6%]). While it isn't scientific, it still definitely shows what I told you all. The more TV and his face gets put with his name, the higher up Romney will climb.

Night Phantom

I'm hoping Paul gets a boost from the debates. While he has no chance, it'd be nice for the party to shift back that way.

Passion

Muckdog
Reaction score
McCain is going to end up being the GOP's Howard Dean in this election.

Top Bottom