What's new

For Those Who Want Miguel Cabrera to be Promoted..

eadearmas

Muckdog
Reaction score
From the Sun Sentinel...
Not Quite

NOT QUITE

One major league scout who recently passed through the Southern League called Miguel Cabrera a cross between Albert Pujols and Magglio Ordonez.

Before the Marlins ship incumbent third baseman Mike Lowell out the door to make room for Cabrera, however, they might want to consider the rest of the scout's report on their top prospect.

"He's got a tremendously high ceiling," the scout said. "The only thing that could get in the way is himself. He's got all the ability."

Is Cabrera, 20, ready to play in the majors right now, as some have suggested?

"I really don't think he's ready," the scout said. "He's so talented, he's still going to hit better than a lot of guys. He'd hit .230 or .240 at first, but if I were the Marlins I'd be kind of scared of bringing him up.

"He still does a lot of immature things, still makes a lot of mistakes. He'll throw to the wrong base or get flatfooted in the field when he's 0 for 3, that sort of thing. If he does that at the big-league level, those guys will bury him."

Although Cabrera has hit close to .400 all season for Double-A Carolina, the scout said he's still "more of a mistake hitter." Hitters see far fewer mistakes in the majors.

"He really hasn't learned how to zone a ball or how to stay ahead in the count," the scout said. "His pitch selection needs work. Every now and then, he'll go up and swing at a bad ball on the first pitch and make an easy out."

It could help, the scout admitted, that the Marlins probably won't be throwing Cabrera into the teeth of a pennant race. Rather, he would be allowed to learn on the job in the middle of a mostly meaningless second half.

"If the Marlins keep playing poorly and there's no pressure, that's not a bad way of developing him either," the scout said. "Ownership has to understand that the fans and the press are going to be hard on him. They're going to have to be able to swallow the kid's immaturity.

"Personally, I'd feel more comfortable giving him these next two years in the minors. Playing at Triple-A would give him experience in terms of playing with older guys."

Cabrera has been among the youngest players at every level on the minor league ladder so far.

"Don't get me wrong, he's going to be solid," the scout said. "He plays like a 23-, 24-year-old already. He's pretty mature for his age, but I'd hate to put all the pressure on him thinking he's the upcoming star and he's got to carry the club."

Teal Shadow

Muckdog
Reaction score
NO I don't want them to promote Cabrera. If they do he'll have the same path as Adrain Beltran. I think he was 19 when he made to ML. I saw Cabrera in spring training. He's defense was not very good.

eadearmas

Muckdog
Reaction score
I have been thinking they should try and convert him into an outfielder. Keep Lowell [I am keeping my fingers crossed on that one] and try Cabrera as an outfielder. Anyways, that's the position where we are weaker.

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
agreed....

if Lowell is traded, I dont want to see Cabs till September at earliest

eadearmas

Muckdog
Reaction score
That's one of the reasons I don't want Lowell to be traded, besides the fact that he is the best offensive player we have and a hundred other reasons. Who are we going to play at 3B if that happens, Andy Fox? Please...

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
That's one of the reasons I don't want Lowell to be traded, besides the fact that he is the best offensive player we have and a hundred other reasons. Who are we going to play at 3B if that happens, Andy Fox? Please...
we may get back a player who can play 3b or Fox may have to go there

or Banks may have to start workin at 3b :lol

eadearmas

Muckdog
Reaction score
Or we might send Lee to 3B... it's a corner position anyways... :whistle HA! Don't pay attention to that, I am just being ironic... BTW, I heard something about the Yankees bein interested in Fox, don't remember where. I would trade him hor Hitchcook [sic] anytime! :p

Hotcorner

Muckdog
Reaction score
This is only the opinion of ONE scout. If he gets brought up this year he's not going to have any pressure on him anyway. I'd rather see him get another year of work down there too personally, stick someone like Banks over there for a short term fix.

Top Bottom