What's new

Forgetting 9/11 (Already)

FreshFish

Muckdog
Reaction score
Forgetting 9/11 (Already)
By INVESTOR'S BUSINESS DAILY | Posted Wednesday, April 11, 2007 4:20 PM PT

Global War On Terror: You've heard the mantra that "9/11 changed everything." Really? After five short years, even national security is slipping back to pre-9/11 footing. How soon we forget.

Recent developments in Washington show we're reverting to what law enforcement calls "condition white," a state of normalcy ? or the old way of doing things ? that existed before a crisis. This dangerous because al-Qaida will strike the moment it sees we've dropped our guard. We're nearly there.

You've already heard how the Democrats in Congress want to define the War on Terror down by banning the very use of that term (lest we offend the terrorists we're at war with). While that's bad enough, the administration is treating the home front as if it was never a war front, as if the very headquarters of our military (and nearly our legislative branch) was never attacked.

In a quiet move four months ago, the Pentagon pulled military detainees from the National Counter-Terrorism Center, or NCTC ? including the representative from Northern Command, which is responsible for defense of the continental United States.

Why? "The mission (of the NorthCom assignee) was changed," a spokesman shrugged, "and the individual was withdrawn."

Apparently the mission of NorthCom and NCTC, both set up after 9/11, have changed too. The NCTC, made up mainly of representatives from the FBI and CIA, was set up by Congress as part of an information-sharing mandate. NorthCom was created to help them defend against terrorism. So much for all that.

The pullback follows the CIA's surprise dismantling of Alec Station, the agency's unit dedicated to tracking down Osama bin Laden. This occurred a couple of years ago, when the administration thought the terror kingpin who ordered the 9/11 strike was on the run and no longer calling the shots at al-Qaida.

Now we know differently. Bin Laden is not only still in command. He's set up a new base of operations ? including several terror-training camps ? inside Pakistan, and is plotting large-scale attacks through a new military chief. Abu Ubaidah al-Masri, an Egyptian, has emerged as a key lieutenant in the mold of captured 9/11 mastermind Khalid Sheikh Mohammed, after successfully coordinating the London bombings from Pakistan.

The Department of Homeland Security also was formed after 9/11, but it's already settling into bureaucratic slumber.

Congress wanted to replace the INS with an agency that could do a better job of protecting our borders. INS had let a huge backlog of foreign fugitives build up. But that backlog is now twice as big under DHS, according to a new inspector general's report.

It was bad enough that the INS in 2002 reported to Congress that it had a backlog of 355,000 alien absconders, many of them from the Mideast and Pakistan. Now DHS ? despite $204 million allocated for 52 fugitive operations teams ? can't find a whopping 632,000 absconders hiding across America. These are illegal aliens who've failed to leave the country after being ordered out.

And what is DHS doing about it? Not much. It says it doesn't have the manpower or holding cells to capture and deport them. In effect, DHS is doing just as bad a job at border security as the old INS ? with the only difference being you're now paying billions more for that incompetence.

The FBI, for its part, still hasn't cleared its own huge backlog of untranslated Arabic chatter and documents that could hold clues to the next 9/11. It's apparently too busy kissing up to the Council on American-Islamic Relations and putting its agents through Muslim-sensitivity training.

Has anything really changed since 9/11?

We have officially absorbed into our collective psyche the horror of waking up to New York and Washington under attack, as if it were just another bump on the long road of terrorism. As if it was no different than the preceding string of attacks on the USS Cole, the U.S. embassies and the World Trade Center.

When will we learn? Will it take a nuclear 9/11?

It's foolishly complacent to assume just because we haven't been attacked in five years that the threat is over. That's exactly what al-Qaida wants us to believe, so that we drop our guards again and make it easier for its terrorists to attack.

They'll wait until they're guaranteed their next blow will be successful. They will test, and they will case, and they will spy until they know they can pull it off. Patience is their hallmark. Five years is nothing in their scheme of things.

FutureGM

Muckdog
Reaction score
I'm not sure this is 100% accurate.

The Democratic controlled Congress made one of its first priorities the completion and implementation of the 9/11 Commission's recommendations, which had been pushed aside by the last few sessions of Congress for whatever reason.

FreshFish

Muckdog
Reaction score

The Democratic controlled Congress made one of its first priorities the completion and implementation of the 9/11 Commission's recommendations, which had been pushed aside by the last few sessions of Congress for whatever reason.

I think both sides of the aisle are to blame. IMO, the biggest problem is tying the war in IRAQ with the war on terror.

unfortunately, most Americans feel the war on terror = going to war in the middle east.

sadly, I think we will get hit again and be caught with our pants down.

Jimmy42Jack0

Muckdog
Reaction score

I think both sides of the aisle are to blame. IMO, the biggest problem is tying the war in IRAQ with the war on terror.

unfortunately, most Americans feel the war on terror = going to war in the middle east.

id be shocked if we werent hit again before 2010

Dodge

Muckdog
Reaction score

I wouldn't.

All I've heard since 9/11 is

"We'll be hit again by 2003."
"They're going to attack us again by 2004."
"I wouldn't be surprised if they did something else by 2005."
"I'll be shocked if they don't do something again by 2006."

Blah, blah, blah. 9/11 was horrible, but it was a one-in-a-million shot. I do not think anything of that magnitude will happen again.

Ice Man

Muckdog
Reaction score

I wouldn't.

Blah, blah, blah. 9/11 was horrible, but it was a one-in-a-million shot. I do not think anything of that magnitude will happen again.

Ever? Come on.

I'm not one of those people who say that something bad is going to happen every year, but to say something of that magnitude will happen again is ignorance.

Dodge

Muckdog
Reaction score

I wouldn't.

Ever? Come on.

I'm not one of those people who say that something bad is going to happen every year, but to say something of that magnitude will happen again is ignorance.

That's either a typo or you're agreeing with me.

FutureGM

Muckdog
Reaction score
Well, if there is another attack (somewhat likely), it won't be for another decade, and it will be in a way we'll never see coming, not too unlike 9/11.

One thing we sometimes fail to understand is that Al Qaida doesn't think in months or even years, but decades ahead. Hopefully the loss of a terrorist planning mastermind like Khalid Sheik Mohammed makes another 9/11 unlikely. He was the key in the entire operation, and the brains of Al Qaida.

TheDon

Muckdog
Reaction score
There are "letter openers" on the market right now that will NOT alert a metal detector.

They are sharp as hell.

One of the many reasons that something will happen again. Unfortunately.

Flying_Mollusk

Muckdog
Reaction score
There are "letter openers" on the market right now that will NOT alert a metal detector.

They are sharp as hell.

True, but I imagine that if someone hijacks a plane with a letter opener, and tells everyone to stay calm, people will know what is up and will attack them. Plus the cabin doors are inaccessible now.

TheDon

Muckdog
Reaction score
If airline security agains becomes lax (which its well on its way), another attack is probable.

No one is saying that other forms of terrorism are not possible, but lets not kid ourselves here.

Accord

Muckdog
Reaction score

They are sharp as hell.

I own several of those "letter openers." I'm going to keep one in my boot when I go to Iraq as a last resort SHTF weapon, they make a great boot knife for deployments because they're so incredibly light and weigh almost nothing.

As far as everyone forgetting 9/11 and all that, in 1.5 months i'm going to be awarded the Global War on Terrorism Service Medal, so I sure as hell haven't forgotten anything.

There will be something just as catastrophic as 9/11, however there is no way it will have anything to do with the airlines or anything of that nature. The terrorists and Al-Qaeda may be friggen psycho's but they're not stupid. No way the airlines get hit again. It will be something like an Amtrak train, a bus in downtown L.A., or something else where security is non-existant and anyone can just walk right in.

FutureGM

Muckdog
Reaction score
For once I agree with Accord, there's no way they would attack planes again. It will absolutely be some target that security is not very tight at (trains, water supply, maybe even oil refineries).

TheDon

Muckdog
Reaction score
You heard it here first folks!!!

There is NO way a plane get hijacked and used as a deadly missle ever again.

Phew! I feel safe!

Top Bottom