What's new

Former Panther Mellanby to retire after 21 seasons

Eddie Altamonte

Muckdog
Reaction score
http://www.sportsline.com/nhl/story/10145396

April 23, 2007
CBS SportsLine.com wire reports

ATLANTA -- Atlanta Thrashers captain Scott Mellanby is expected to announce his retirement Tuesday.

The Thrashers have scheduled a telephone news conference for the 40-year-old Mellanby and general manager Don Waddell for Tuesday morning. A team spokesman said Mellanby's future with the team will be discussed.

Mellanby had 12 goals and 24 assists in his 21st season, helping to lead the Thrashers to their first playoff berth. It was the 17th time the right winger collected at least 30 points.

The Thrashers were eliminated from the playoffs in four straight games by the New York Rangers.

Mellanby spoke of his probable retirement after the playoff loss.

"I want to take a couple of days to be sure, but I'm 99 percent there," Mellanby said.

"I still feel like I can play the game. It's all the outside stuff, the training, the preparation. I don't think I'm prepared to go through that again."

Beinfest4Prez

Muckdog
Reaction score
Hockey is losing one of its classiest players. Always a favorite of mine no matter where he was.

Congrats to Mellanby on a long and successful hockey career!

MiRi

Muckdog
Reaction score
I wish him the best of luck. I loved having him here with the Panthers. The rat thing started because of him. Too bad he didn't retire as a Panther.

Jimmy42Jack0

Muckdog
Reaction score
adios mr. rat man...it was a hell of time seeing you in a panther jersey, continued success in whatever venture you go forth with

McFly

Muckdog
Reaction score
Used to be one of my favorites when I was a kid. Happy trails. Scotty.

CTMarlinsfan

Muckdog
Reaction score
definently a sad note to see him retire. He was great to my Thrashers and my Panthers. I wish I could just see him play one more year, Thrasher or Panther, and I wish he could be reunited with Robbie Neidermyer down here and they could go out together with a bang!

Happy trails, Scotty and I hope you get a great coaching job.

or better yet, come up here to Quinnipiac for the Life After Hockey program and become a broadcaster!

Eddie Altamonte

Muckdog
Reaction score
I know it will never happen but Scotty and the Beezer should have their numbers retired for the Panthers. We Thank you for the Rats Scotty

mafatumatt

Muckdog
Reaction score
and my number 1 childhood favorite retires.

man i feel like im getting old.

CTMarlinsfan

Muckdog
Reaction score
I know it will never happen but Scotty and the Beezer should have their numbers retired for the Panthers. We Thank you for the Rats Scotty
Beezer, Scotty, Pavel, and Neidermeyer should have their numbers retierd imho

The_Godfather

Muckdog
Reaction score

Change Pavel and Neidermeyer for Brian Skrudland, and I agree. :thumbup

Beinfest4Prez

Muckdog
Reaction score

Change Pavel and Neidermeyer for Brian Skrudland, and I agree. :thumbup
:thumbup

Skrudy is still one of my all time faves. Always did the dirty work and was the heart and soul of this franchise for many years. It was a sad, sad day when he left to the Rangers for me.

TSwift25

Muckdog
Reaction score
Beezer's number was retired then unretired after his racist tirade, no?

Beinfest4Prez

Muckdog
Reaction score
Beezer's number was retired then unretired after his racist tirade, no?
Nope, it never was retired.

Top Bottom