What's new

Francisco Rodriguez doctoring the ball?

markotsay7

I was just about to post this, you beat me to it. Very interesting.

FishFanInPA

Meh....kid still throws filth.....sounds like a jealous A's fan or someone else who can't hit him.

yankeefan21

Muckdog
Reaction score
I can't tell, but do you think it's rosin residue? I mean, he could pick up the rosin bag with his sweaty hand and when he goes to the brim he smears some of that rosin on the brim?

It's hard to tell unless someone calls him out on it in a game.

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
more pitchers do things like this than you realize

anything to get an edge

Passion

Muckdog
Reaction score
Guy is pretty thorough and he brings up some good points.

Julian Tavarez does similar stuff, always rubbing the underside of his cap, etc.

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
I would use boogers and ear wax

maybe some belly lint too

yankeefan21

Muckdog
Reaction score
That's true, but it could also be a ritual-type thing. Nomar has his left glove-right glove-left glove-right glove-toe tap-toe-tap routine and David Wright does his left glove-right glove-shirt to mouth-helmet thing. Maybe this is just KRod's thing and the white "smudge" is left over rosin?

Like I said, it's tough to say until he is called out on it during a game.

JonDigital

Muckdog
Reaction score
Looks like MLB is looking into this...

Major League Baseball confirmed Thursday morning that it is investigating if Los Angeles Angels closer Francisco Rodriguez doctored the baseball during two appearances against the Rangers this week.

A Web site, The Cheater's Guide to Baseball Blog, accused Rodriguez of having a substance under the bill of his cap and using it as he closed games Monday night and Wednesday afternoon.

Rangers general manager Jon Daniels said he was alerted to the site on Wednesday, but he said the team didn't contact MLB about Rodriguez.

Pat Courtney, a spokesman for Major League Baseball, said the office found out about the allegation Thursday and Bob Watson, in charge of discipline, is checking on it. Watson will review video of the games and could talk to umpires and players. Courtney said if evidence shows that Rodriguez did put a substance on the baseball, he could face up to a 10-game suspension.

Rodriguez allowed one run on two hits in Wednesday's game and got the save. He was perfect in the ninth inning on Monday night, including a strikeout.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dw...d.35995f17.html

bobbob1313

Muckdog
Reaction score
Meh....kid still throws filth.....sounds like a jealous A's fan or someone else who can't hit him.

Yeah, definetly just jealousy. Not really grounded in reality or anything.

FishFanInPA

Big whoop....there's a stain on his hat.....lots of pitchers go to the cap....

bobbob1313

Muckdog
Reaction score
Big whoop....there's a stain on his hat.....lots of pitchers go to the cap....

And lots of pitchers doctor the ball. Coincidence?

A lot of pitchers do it, but he was dumb enough or unlucky enough to get caught. It's not a witch hunt, he just got unlucky to be caught doing it after MLB took a semi-hardlined stance after the Kenny Rogers incident.

Passion

Muckdog
Reaction score
MLB wouldn't be taking a close look at it, at least not say it publicly if there wasn't something to it.

yankeefan21

Muckdog
Reaction score
Well, there is CLEARLY a white stain on the underside of his brim where he kept going with his thumb. I don't know that they can nail him AFTER a game [that would be stupid] but they should certainly keep an eye on him in his future outings.

FishFanInPA

Uh oh......Chris Ray has white stuff on his hat....must be doctoring the ball!

The Fan

Muckdog
Reaction score
He and Scioscia have addressed this and said that it is rosin residue that he has.

I doubt it's anything else. He has continued to go to the cap, even under scrutiny. As of now, I will take him at his word until proved otherwise.

yankeefan21

Muckdog
Reaction score
As of now, I will take him at his word until proved otherwise.
Agreed. If he gets busted cheating though... :guillotine

Top Bottom