What's new

Fred Thompson Gets One Step Closer to Running

Night Phantom

Fred Thompson to take step toward formal candidacy next week
By LIZ SIDOTI
Associated Press Writer
WASHINGTON

Fred Thompson, a former Tennessee senator and "Law & Order" actor, will take a step toward a formal presidential candidacy next week, several officials with knowledge of the plans said Wednesday.

Thompson will form a "testing the waters" committee, which will allow him to begin raising money and hiring staff without officially committing to a White House bid. The creation of the committee, to be called "Friends of Fred Thompson," will be paired with the start of his first major fundraising push.

The officials, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because the plans were not public, said Thompson is dicussing plans for a campaign swing through various early primary states in late June, and is considering several options for a formal announcement should he ultimately decide to enter the race. They said that one scenario under discussion, among others, would have him officially announce his candidacy over the July 4 holiday.

But these officials also cautioned that he's made no final decision about whether to run or where and when to get in the race should he decide to go forward.

Thompson has been an all-but-declared candidate for months, flirting with a candidacy following the creation of a Tennessee-based effort to draft him into the race.

A summertime announcement has been widely expected and numerous signs have pointed to a Thompson candidacy. Officials say it's more likely than not he will join the crowded GOP field that's led by Rudy Giuliani, John McCain and Mitt Romney.

In recent weeks, Thompson has been hiring advisers, speaking to conservative groups, writing online columns on topics of the day and staking out positions on issues like the Senate immigration overhaul. He also is testing his pitch on the Internet and surrounding himself with officials who served in the Reagan administration and under George H.W. Bush.

Mark Corallo, a Thompson spokesman,did not immediately return calls for comment.

Copyright 2007 by the Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.
Source

Fred Thompson Expected to Announce White House Candidacy in July
Wednesday, May 30, 2007

WASHINGTON It seems all but certain that former senator and "Law & Order" TV star Fred Thompson will formally announce his campaign for president sometime after July 4.

Sources tell FOX News that the former Tennessee senator will wait until after Independence Day to announce in hopes of finding a more interested public, and the announcement could come as soon as July 5. Although plans have not yet been solidified.

And The Politico reported Wednesday that Thompson told a group of financial backers on Tuesday that he is going to run and had already raised millions of dollars. Thompson is encouraging more support as he readies his campaign in the crowded field of Republican candidates.

The Politico also reports that a number of staffers to former Presidents Ronald Reagan and George H.W. Bush are expected to join Thompson's campaign.

Polls show that Republicans have not been satisfied with the current field of candidates. And even as an unofficial candidate, Thompson has pulled closely with former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney, who is neck-and-neck with Arizona Sen. John McCain. For now, they are trailing former New York Mayor Rudy Giuliani.

Thompson is posturing himself as the more conservative alternative to would-be opponents Giuliani and McCain, and more steadfast than Romney, who is facing criticism for recently switching views on some conservative issues.

Thompson also is expected in early June to form a "testing the waters" committee, which is one type of precursor organization to an official campaign. While foregoing an exploratory committee, the filing still would allow Thompson to raise money in June in order to launch his candidacy in July.

Thompson does not expect to have the millions needed to compete aggressively in the Ames, Iowa, straw poll in August, but does hope to raise enough in June including more than $1 million from a one-day telemarketing kick-off. Romney held a similar fundraiser in January pulling in $6 million.

FOX News' Carl Cameron contributed to this report.
Source

I just found my leadoff story tomorrow.

Passion

Muckdog
Reaction score
Led off the Fox News broadcast and was the no. 1 topic duing the 'Fox News All-Star' panel.

Buzz is pretty high.

He gave a pretty classic FDT line when asked about fundrasing with, "People said I needed to raise $100 million at the start of the year. Well, I think I've cut that number in half."

:notworthy

BullDurham

Muckdog
Reaction score
This guy puts my sentiments in words better than I can. Of course, all of the other Republicans are gonna feel the same way as Faux Thompson, but he's the "Law & Order" guy. I'm telling you, this is going to be fun:

http://noquarter.typepad.com/my_weblog/200...o_you_supp.html
Why Do You Support Treason, Fred Thompson?

by
Brent Budowsky

Dear Fred Thompson.

You are one of America's strongest public supporters of Scooter Libby in the CIA Leak case and, as a potential commander in chief, there are some questions you should answer for the Nation:

If you are commander in chief, would you believe it is proper for your senior White House staff to publicly identify the names of covert officers?

As commander in chief, donÂ’t you feel a moral, military and patriotic obligation that is sacred to protect the lives and safety of those who serve under your command?

DonÂ’t you believe that public identification of covert officers threatens our troops and our security by harming our ability to wage war when necessary, by weakening our intelligence capability?

Regarding covert officers engaged in actions aimed to kill those planning terrorist attacks against Americans, are you on the side of our covert officers, or on the side of terrorists, who are aided and abetted by disclosure of the identities of covert officers working against them?

If you are commander in chief, faced with the decision about whether America should go to war, do you want the most accurate intelligence to make that decision and if necessary most effectively wage war? Or do you believe in receiving distorted or untrue "information" or misrepresenting intelligence information to "sell" the war that accurate intelligence might suggest would be reckless or unwise?

Do you understand that the compromising of intelligence information, intelligence officers and front companies not only endangers the lives of Americans, and endangers the lives of foreigners who cooperate with our security programs, but endangers the very lives of our Armed Forces personnel who depend on good intelligence to survive, and win?

As commander in chief, would you put the interests of the Republican Party, or your personal campaigning, ahead of the interests of covert officers protecting our communities from potential nuclear terrorism?

As you prepare to run for the Presidency, please answer this: if someone at a high level on your White House staff is ever convicted of perjury, would you promote or fire that person?

Finally, on the CIA leak case, do you judge those serving under your command by which felonies receive criminal conviction or which acts hurt our security, endanger those who serve, threaten our communities and serve the interests of the terrorists who attacked on 9-11 and those who may be planning a nuclear 9-11?

Is your priority, sir, patriotism or politics?

As someone who spent years of my life working on the Intelligence Identities Protection Act and knows a great deal about the policies and practices of covert action, and the destructiveness of these leaks, I believe you owe the American people honest answers to these hard but vital questions.

[NOTE FROM Admin JOHNSON: Fred Thompson may have played a Prosecutor on TV, but it is clear he does not understand the basics of perjury and obstruction of justice. His lame excuses for Scooter Libby and his willingness to give money to back the convicted felon underscores that Thompson is not fit to be President of the Screen Actors Guild much less the United States.]

Posted by Admin Johnson on Wednesday, 30 May 2007 at 16:14

Reaction score
This guy puts my sentiments in words better than I can. Of course, all of the other Republicans are gonna feel the same way as Faux Thompson, but he's the "Law & Order" guy. I'm telling you, this is going to be fun:

http://noquarter.typepad.com/my_weblog/200...o_you_supp.html
Why Do You Support Treason, Fred Thompson?

by
Brent Budowsky

Dear Fred Thompson.

You are one of America's strongest public supporters of Scooter Libby in the CIA Leak case and, as a potential commander in chief, there are some questions you should answer for the Nation:

If you are commander in chief, would you believe it is proper for your senior White House staff to publicly identify the names of covert officers?

As commander in chief, don?t you feel a moral, military and patriotic obligation that is sacred to protect the lives and safety of those who serve under your command?

Don?t you believe that public identification of covert officers threatens our troops and our security by harming our ability to wage war when necessary, by weakening our intelligence capability?

Regarding covert officers engaged in actions aimed to kill those planning terrorist attacks against Americans, are you on the side of our covert officers, or on the side of terrorists, who are aided and abetted by disclosure of the identities of covert officers working against them?

If you are commander in chief, faced with the decision about whether America should go to war, do you want the most accurate intelligence to make that decision and if necessary most effectively wage war? Or do you believe in receiving distorted or untrue "information" or misrepresenting intelligence information to "sell" the war that accurate intelligence might suggest would be reckless or unwise?

Do you understand that the compromising of intelligence information, intelligence officers and front companies not only endangers the lives of Americans, and endangers the lives of foreigners who cooperate with our security programs, but endangers the very lives of our Armed Forces personnel who depend on good intelligence to survive, and win?

As commander in chief, would you put the interests of the Republican Party, or your personal campaigning, ahead of the interests of covert officers protecting our communities from potential nuclear terrorism?

As you prepare to run for the Presidency, please answer this: if someone at a high level on your White House staff is ever convicted of perjury, would you promote or fire that person?

Finally, on the CIA leak case, do you judge those serving under your command by which felonies receive criminal conviction or which acts hurt our security, endanger those who serve, threaten our communities and serve the interests of the terrorists who attacked on 9-11 and those who may be planning a nuclear 9-11?

Is your priority, sir, patriotism or politics?

As someone who spent years of my life working on the Intelligence Identities Protection Act and knows a great deal about the policies and practices of covert action, and the destructiveness of these leaks, I believe you owe the American people honest answers to these hard but vital questions.

[NOTE FROM Admin JOHNSON: Fred Thompson may have played a Prosecutor on TV, but it is clear he does not understand the basics of perjury and obstruction of justice. His lame excuses for Scooter Libby and his willingness to give money to back the convicted felon underscores that Thompson is not fit to be President of the Screen Actors Guild much less the United States.]

Posted by Admin Johnson on Wednesday, 30 May 2007 at 16:14

*yawn*

Top Bottom