What's new

Fredi: Gregg to remain Closer

GoMarlins2435

Muckdog
Reaction score

Pnino

Muckdog
Reaction score
At this point, I think I would feel more comfortable w/ Messenger. Hope it works out.

MarlinFan10

Muckdog
Reaction score
Now I absolutly love this trade. We get Benitez, and Gregg keeps the spot he's earned. I can see Benitez eventually closing as Urbina did, but he has to earn it, which is the way it should work.

FishFF

Muckdog
Reaction score
Now I absolutly love this trade. We get Benitez, and Gregg keeps the spot he's earned. I can see Benitez eventually closing as Urbina did, but he has to earn it, which is the way it should work.

Exactly. I likey

Beinfest4Prez

Muckdog
Reaction score
At this point, I think I would feel more comfortable w/ Messenger. Hope it works out.

I would feel more comfortabled with Messenger as well.......in a Giants uniform!

Mauer7

Muckdog
Reaction score
This is good to hear. If Benitez can prove himself to be better than Gregg...than he can become closer...but he has to earn it first.

JetsMania

Muckdog
Reaction score

It will be just like 2003 with Urbina and Looper. I would rather have 2 guys that can close down the 8th and 9th rather than one guy who can only do the 9th.

mittman

Muckdog
Reaction score
I feel much better now.

Gregg is going good and the clubhouse has to feel that if they can get a lead late there is a good chance for a W. Throwing Bene in there would be the same as what happened with Julio and could really hurt morale.

That said, I feel a whole lot better about getting Benitez than I ever did about getting Julio. Yea he has proven that he can have a STUPID outing (two balks and a meat ball homer), but for some reason I just feel better about our chances with him.

Jonny Ramos

Muckdog
Reaction score
If superman keeps pitching the way he has the last couple of games.... Benitez has a loooong road ahead of him, maybe even get traded again.

Marlins2003

Muckdog
Reaction score
Benitez may not be 100% (healthy) right now and that could play into the decision-making.

BroncoBob27

Muckdog
Reaction score
Benitez may not be 100% (healthy) right now and that could play into the decision-making.

Could be. Or the Giants could be looking at it differently. They have (had) an expensive arm in the pen that has made no secret that he dosen't want to be there, is on the last year of his contract, and would definetly go elsewhere next off season with them getting basically zilch in return. Sure, they eat the $$$ part of the contract, which they would have had to pay had he stayed there and complained all season, but in return they get a young arm that can not file for FA for a couple more years and they may feel is coachable to become better. Whether Benitez would get a huge contract elsewhere or Mess is so coachable for them to be a much better pitcher is irrelevant. It's a win situation for them and at the very least a lateral trade for us. I personally feel it is an upgraded trade for us by giving us a veteran closer in the pen that can spell Gregg when needed. If it dosen't work out for us it's really no biggie.

fishfan25

Muckdog
Reaction score
thank god for this news. Gregg deserves the spot.

I absolutely love this trade.

pierremvp1

Muckdog
Reaction score
I think it's nonsense to think that Benitez is NOT going to be the closer. IMO, he will be the closer. Benitez is a closer. I would like to see his first close attempt happen at home, in front of 14 people, in an environment that he's familiar with and comfortable for Benitez. That would give him the optimun chance for success, short and long term.

Hammerhead

Muckdog
Reaction score
He'll still see time as closer. He's still got it with the bases empty.

This is good to hear. If Benitez can prove himself to be better than Gregg...than he can become closer...but he has to earn it first.
He's converted 9 of 11 save opportunities this year.

TSwift25

Muckdog
Reaction score
He'll still see time as closer. He's still got it with the bases empty.

He's converted 9 of 11 save opportunities this year.

And when we traded for Urbina, he was leading the league in saves.

If they say Gregg's the guy, I believe it. It's not like there isn't recent precedent set for acquiring a proven closer when we really don't need a closer.

Top Bottom