What's new

Frisaro's Inbox: What is Miami's top priority in offseason?

SonOfJack

el gringo loco
Reaction score
Man, I want a big pot of chicken soup now with some celery in it.

rmc523

Hammerhead
Reaction score
Man, I want a big pot of chicken soup now with some celery in it.
That actually sounds great right now. I have the beginnings of a cold....trying to keep it from turning into a cold.

SilverBullet

Wind Surge
Reaction score
That actually sounds great right now. I have the beginnings of a cold....trying to keep it from turning into a cold.
Get the fuck away from me, I can't be getting sick now.

hovertical

LumberKing
Reaction score
those Zicam dissolvable tablets are legit miracle drugs for keeping a cold from ruining your life. have to make sure you follow the instructions exactly but man - they are one of the few OTC remedies that actually work.

SilverBullet

Wind Surge
Reaction score
those Zicam dissolvable tablets are legit miracle drugs for keeping a cold from ruining your life. have to make sure you follow the instructions exactly but man - they are one of the few OTC remedies that actually work.
Is this an ad?

rmc523

Hammerhead
Reaction score
You know! I forgot I have some of those, thanks!

Michael

Jumbo Shrimp
VIP
Reaction score
Yeah, Ive been on the ozuna train for a bit. I think hed be a fantastic signing. And really, signing an outfielder and maybe 1 or 2 bp arms is all i want them to do.
So you believe we're just two pitchers away?!

MarlinsLou

LumberKing
Reaction score
Yeah, Ive been on the ozuna train for a bit. I think hed be a fantastic signing. And really, signing an outfielder and maybe 1 or 2 bp arms is all i want them to do.
I agree with the first part.

An impact multi-year RHP veteran bat who will be in their prime at 3B/OF (Rendon, Ozuna, Castellanos)
A 1 year positional starter at 3B/OF (move Anderson as needed)
Then a bunch of MiLB deals to a backup Neil Walker, Sergio Romo, and Chad Wallach replacements.

Bonus points if they sign a rehab SP candidate (Alex Wood?) on a 1 year deal and sell him a pitcher's park in the NL.

I like Stanek, Steckenrider, Brice, Brigham, Urena/E. Hernandez, Garcia, Conley, and Quijada as a bullpen. I'd roll with that but if a vet beats someone (likely Quijada), cool?

CYmarlins

The Andy Man Can
Reaction score
I agree with the first part.

An impact multi-year RHP veteran bat who will be in their prime at 3B/OF (Rendon, Ozuna, Castellanos)
A 1 year positional starter at 3B/OF (move Anderson as needed)
Then a bunch of MiLB deals to a backup Neil Walker, Sergio Romo, and Chad Wallach replacements.

Bonus points if they sign a rehab SP candidate (Alex Wood?) on a 1 year deal and sell him a pitcher's park in the NL.

I like Stanek, Steckenrider, Brice, Brigham, Urena/E. Hernandez, Garcia, Conley, and Quijada as a bullpen. I'd roll with that but if a vet beats someone (likely Quijada), cool?
I love your posts and wish you would post here a lot more often. Seems you do more so in the offseason. But I gotta disagree with your last statement.

Signing Rendon would be the type of move Miami should make but if that doesn't come along they really shouldn't start splurging. Things really don't start to pick up until next offseason and that is if Harrison, Encarnacion, and others end up doing well when they get called up.

I think signing Ozuna would be awful. I thank him for his years here but he has proven to have boneheaded moves and while his hard-hit rate has been good he isn't worth anything close to what he will be asking for.

Besides that if, the rest of the bullpen would be a black hole. Right now the only real locks are Jarlin Garica and Stanek everyone else will battle it out in Spring Training. I do expect 2 signings to happen. Hopefully middle relief, set up with someone that can close.

MarlinsLou

LumberKing
Reaction score
I love your posts and wish you would post here a lot more often. Seems you do more so in the offseason. But I gotta disagree with your last statement.

Signing Rendon would be the type of move Miami should make but if that doesn't come along they really shouldn't start splurging. Things really don't start to pick up until next offseason and that is if Harrison, Encarnacion, and others end up doing well when they get called up.

I think signing Ozuna would be awful. I thank him for his years here but he has proven to have boneheaded moves and while his hard-hit rate has been good he isn't worth anything close to what he will be asking for.

Besides that if, the rest of the bullpen would be a black hole. Right now the only real locks are Jarlin Garica and Stanek everyone else will battle it out in Spring Training. I do expect 2 signings to happen. Hopefully middle relief, set up with someone that can close.
They have plenty of payroll to add a $15-18 million a year player for 3-4 years, and they need a right handed bat badly. Lewin, Isan, Jazz, Bleday, and Sanchez are lefties. Anderson, Monte, and Alfaro don't really break that up if all works out. I think Monte has the highest bust rate of the above . Getting a veteran right hander with some thump is a big organizational need. If Ozuna wants 5/$110, no thanks. I think 4/$72 from the Marlins will be very competitive. Maybe I'm wrong. I don't think this is a splurge. Their payroll is going to be under $50 million the next 3 seasons doing nothing. Adding Ozuna still puts them in the discussion of "lowest in baseball." Also, they need to re-negotiate their TV deal (better product, more eyeballs), get naming rights (better product, easier to sell), start inching towards respectability with the fan base and showing a better product consistently on the field, etc. They need to start acting like a franchise and get better. This would be a GREAT step IMO. Same with Rendon or Castellanos. Show us you care.

As for the pen:

-Stanek is a lock
-Garcia is a lock
-Brice is a lock if healthy - OOO and was phenomenal in the first half. Yes the BABIP is low and he got lucky, but there is arm talent.
-Steckenrider is a lock if healthy. He won't lose his job because of an injured year after 2 good ones.
-Conley is a lock if not traded. He is better than he showed. He's the kind of guy who gets too Oakland and is just awesome all of a sudden. He gets another year. See also, https://blogs.fangraphs.com/these-three-marlins-lefties-have-some-funky-fastballs/
-Brigham is a lock. Post 25.2 IP, 1.21 whip. Nearly un-hittable in September. He should be given a chance. He obliterated AAA, even if the BABIP was low. Sink or swim for him this year as more organizational arms are coming for the 40 man spots.

Two maybes how I see it:

-Urena bullpen move, where he is then a lock, or you're keeping Hernandez a starter and you can get a veteran righty.

-Quijada. This is the upgrade spot. Getting a good lefty would be great.

I'd sign a SP rehab candidate (Alex Wood is I think my favorite) and a veteran lefty, and open with this. As many MiLB deals as you want for right handers as injury replacements.

Sandy, Caleb, Pablo, A. Wood, Urena/Hernandez/Yamamoto
Stanek, Steckenrider, Brice, Brigham, Urena/Hernandez
Garcia, "Vet Lefty," Conley

If all goes to plan, you can trade close to half of that and can call up Sixto, Cabrera, Neidert, Guzman, Yamamoto, and some collection of Dugger, Quijada, Milbrath, Castano, Vesia, etc.

SonOfJack

el gringo loco
Reaction score
Ozuna was given a qualifying offer today so that may end the interest by Miami if they had any. Would cost the team a draft pick.

MarlinsLou

LumberKing
Reaction score
Ozuna was given a qualifying offer today so that may end the interest by Miami if they had any. Would cost the team a draft pick.
I personally don't think that matters at all, but they are going to keep being them.

But it's also why I think Castellanos is a better option, among other things.

Michael

Jumbo Shrimp
VIP
Reaction score
I personally don't think that matters at all, but they are going to keep being them.

But it's also why I think Castellanos is a better option, among other things.
Oh, Cubs can't offer him one since he was a mid-season acquisition, right? Hadn't thought of that ... alright, get him.

Top Bottom