What's new

Frisaro's Inbox: What is Miami's top priority in offseason?

taiwanmarlin

LumberKing
Reaction score

MarlinsLou

LumberKing
Reaction score
Marlins signing a high priced reliever in a non-contending year who got a qualifying offer? No.

Blocking 1B with a true stop gap when Cooper has earned time and Lewin coming in the summer after Super2 status rolls over? No

A non-Ace qualifying starter SP? No.

Ozuna and Castellanos make sense if the money is right. RHP veteran bat in their prime is a short and longterm need.

SilverBullet

Wind Surge
Reaction score
I don't get the fascination of going after a bullpen piece for 2020. We're not exactly contending in 2020 and with all the pitching pieces we have the ones who don't make the rotation will slide into the bullpen anyways. Of course adding low risk cheap relievers like Romo last year makes sense but I feel like too many of the articles predicting our free agency moves want us going for higher level and costly relievers and I don't think that's what the Marlins need right now. That's the kind of signing you make when you are already contending and need to patch up holes in your pen. Until then you make due with what you have.

CYmarlins

The Andy Man Can
Reaction score
They have plenty of payroll to add a $15-18 million a year player for 3-4 years, and they need a right handed bat badly. Lewin, Isan, Jazz, Bleday, and Sanchez are lefties. Anderson, Monte, and Alfaro don't really break that up if all works out. I think Monte has the highest bust rate of the above . Getting a veteran right hander with some thump is a big organizational need. If Ozuna wants 5/$110, no thanks. I think 4/$72 from the Marlins will be very competitive. Maybe I'm wrong. I don't think this is a splurge. Their payroll is going to be under $50 million the next 3 seasons doing nothing. Adding Ozuna still puts them in the discussion of "lowest in baseball." Also, they need to re-negotiate their TV deal (better product, more eyeballs), get naming rights (better product, easier to sell), start inching towards respectability with the fan base and showing a better product consistently on the field, etc. They need to start acting like a franchise and get better. This would be a GREAT step IMO. Same with Rendon or Castellanos. Show us you care.

As for the pen:

-Stanek is a lock
-Garcia is a lock
-Brice is a lock if healthy - OOO and was phenomenal in the first half. Yes the BABIP is low and he got lucky, but there is arm talent.
-Steckenrider is a lock if healthy. He won't lose his job because of an injured year after 2 good ones.
-Conley is a lock if not traded. He is better than he showed. He's the kind of guy who gets too Oakland and is just awesome all of a sudden. He gets another year. See also, https://blogs.fangraphs.com/these-three-marlins-lefties-have-some-funky-fastballs/
-Brigham is a lock. Post 25.2 IP, 1.21 whip. Nearly un-hittable in September. He should be given a chance. He obliterated AAA, even if the BABIP was low. Sink or swim for him this year as more organizational arms are coming for the 40 man spots.

Two maybes how I see it:

-Urena bullpen move, where he is then a lock, or you're keeping Hernandez a starter and you can get a veteran righty.

-Quijada. This is the upgrade spot. Getting a good lefty would be great.

I'd sign a SP rehab candidate (Alex Wood is I think my favorite) and a veteran lefty, and open with this. As many MiLB deals as you want for right handers as injury replacements.

Sandy, Caleb, Pablo, A. Wood, Urena/Hernandez/Yamamoto
Stanek, Steckenrider, Brice, Brigham, Urena/Hernandez
Garcia, "Vet Lefty," Conley

If all goes to plan, you can trade close to half of that and can call up Sixto, Cabrera, Neidert, Guzman, Yamamoto, and some collection of Dugger, Quijada, Milbrath, Castano, Vesia, etc.
I agree with a lot of this. But I just don't see the Ozuna signing going well. He's gonna want 4+ years regardless of the qualifying offer or not. Who knows he may just end up re-signing with the Cardinals as been speculated.

Castellanos would be nice and putting him in RF where he was passable and leaving Anderson at 3B would be ideal. I would guess that they are inline to spend between $35 -$45 million this offseason even though payroll hasn't been set.

Mish has already heard from the Marlins sources that he Urena would only start and not be a bullpen piece. He didn't exactly do well in the games that he closed and I agree his value is better as a starter.

Bullpen alone I would agree that Steck would be another lock if he is completely healthy going in Spring Training.

Early predictions for MLBTR and such have Marlins signing Avisail Garcia to a 2 year deal or something of that nature. You also have someone like Cole Kalhoun.

CYmarlins

The Andy Man Can
Reaction score
I don't get the fascination of going after a bullpen piece for 2020. We're not exactly contending in 2020 and with all the pitching pieces we have the ones who don't make the rotation will slide into the bullpen anyways. Of course adding low risk cheap relievers like Romo last year makes sense but I feel like too many of the articles predicting our free agency moves want us going for higher level and costly relievers and I don't think that's what the Marlins need right now. That's the kind of signing you make when you are already contending and need to patch up holes in your pen. Until then you make due with what you have.
Understood but you gotta bridge the gap. Once Romo was traded there was a big gap left and it was evident that the relievers the Marlins had weren't getting the job done. There really isn't such a thing as a bad 1 year deal and I believe the Marlins will find some good arms to rebuild their value on 1 year deals or find middle ground and get an option year. Having a guy that can pitch multiple innings and possibly close would be their biggest need.

SilverBullet

Wind Surge
Reaction score
Understood but you gotta bridge the gap. Once Romo was traded there was a big gap left and it was evident that the relievers the Marlins had weren't getting the job done. There really isn't such a thing as a bad 1 year deal and I believe the Marlins will find some good arms to rebuild their value on 1 year deals or find middle ground and get an option year. Having a guy that can pitch multiple innings and possibly close would be their biggest need.
Yea these are the types of deals I'm saying would be fine. I just felt like some articles were saying we would go for more pricey and long term bullpen deals.

Latest posts

Top Bottom