What's new

Gadsden Close to Re-Signing?

Wild Card

Muckdog
Reaction score
If Miami can get Gadsden to re-sign, I think this team is going to have a pretty damn good core of recievers, one of only two things this team has lacked over the past few years.

Gadsden might re-sign
Sources: Deal may be soon
BY JASON COLE

Two sources close to Oronde Gadsden said the receiver has told them he plans to re-sign with the Dolphins relatively soon, perhaps in time to participate in the final quarterback school next week.

Gadsden is the remaining free agent starter from last season whom the Dolphins haven't signed. Gadsden and agent Michael Todd could not be reached for comment.

The Dolphins had no comment on the talks, although coach Dave Wannstedt has said repeatedly the team is willing to re-sign Gadsden to a one-year offer for the veteran minimum of $530,000.

The Dolphins were willing to pay Gadsden more last season and earlier this offseason but have since signed veteran wide receiver Derrius Thompson and drafted J.R. Tolver in the fifth round.

Gadsden recently began working with a private trainer to get in shape for next season. Gadsden, who started the first six games before sustaining a wrist injury, had hoped to get a substantial offer from the Dolphins or another team.

Todd had requested a three-year, $4.5 million offer, including a signing bonus of $1.8 million, earlier in the offseason. The Dolphins declined. Minnesota made Gadsden a three-year, $3 million offer, but he declined. He also received interest from New England, Tennessee and Jacksonville, but none of those teams made a formal offer.

Friends and teammates have since urged Gadsden to re-sign. He indicated to them earlier he planned to sign just before training camp, but with Thompson and Tolver performing well in the offseason program, Gadsden has been urged to sign now.

The Dolphins' final quarterback school will be Monday through Wednesday at the training facility.

marlins02

what the hell were they thinking pissing Gadsen off and going after Chris Carter a month into the season? he's Chris Carter, but an older Chris Carter that wasnt preparing for the upcoming season like in the past and they expected him to just pick things up. it helped mess things up last year. The good thing is that he turned down all those other offers, so we can get him way cheaper now.

Mephisto

Muckdog
Reaction score
I hope the Fins get Gadsden if they do this could definetely go deep into the playoffs. A good reciver is what the Dolphins are missing and Gadsden will fill that hole.

RossInfoMan

Muckdog
Reaction score
Fist off, his name is Gadsden, not Gandsden or Gandenden (thats a new one), but he is not the missing piece and hes been here before, so hes not a new piece. There is a reason he wasnt offered what he was looking for by every team in the NFL. Between last year and this year, the Dolphins have lost receivers Carter and Ward, and they added Thompson and Tolver. This is still a major weak spot. Most Dolphin fans dont want him back, check out any Dolphins board. He thought he was worth so much money that he ended his season with surgery instead of signing a contract extension for, guess what, the same amount hes going to settle for now. I remember his agent calling the offer laughable at the time and now hes begging for it.

Mephisto

Muckdog
Reaction score
W/e I'am just saying the Fins are weak at WR and Oronde is a good WR to have. Not as a starter but as your #3 WR.

RossInfoMan

Muckdog
Reaction score
If he does sign, he will start out as the number 4 receiver on the depth chart behind Chambers, McKnight, and Thompson, and possibly 5th because the Dolphins really like J.R. Tolver, the 5th round pick from San Diego State. How do you like your humble pie, Mr. Gadsden?

Mephisto

Muckdog
Reaction score
If he is your #4 reciver than he's not starting. Anyways Gadsden true value is when the team is in close to TD line. Thats where he makes most of his work at.

Wild Card

Muckdog
Reaction score
For one, Marlins02, the Phins didn't piss off Gadsden by Signing Carter! Where did you get that from? The signed Carter becuase Oronde, the "poor mans Cris Carter", got injured and was out for the season.

And I think if we can re-sign Gadsden (who I actually like), he will give us a second big reciever (Thompson second) that can make tha catches accross the middle (plus we have McMichael). Then our down field threats will be Chamber (he's gonna have a hell of a year) and McKnight ( I don't like him).

I haven't seen Tolver yet, so I don't know how to catagorize him. But if Norv Turner like him, so do I...

marlins02

Wildcard, Gadsden got hurt but he chose to end his season by having the surgery during the season. it wasnt something he needed immediately, he couldve played with the injury. like Rosstheinfoman said, he decided to end his season becuase he wanted a huge contract extension. when they signed carter he knew he wasnt going to get it so he opted to end his season. its true that our recieving corps arent going to push us over the edge, but it should be better than last year, where we didnt have gadsden for most ofthe year, carter didnt have any type of impact and Chambers didnt have the season that was expected of him.

Mephisto

Muckdog
Reaction score
Marlins02 Gadsden decided to get the surgery when the Fins signed Carter.

marlins02

thats pretty much what i said in my first 2 posts

Wild Card

Muckdog
Reaction score
He really coudn't have played with much succees with that injury...

Mephisto

Muckdog
Reaction score
thats pretty much what i said in my first 2 posts Yes, but you said Gadsden did it for the money, but it was the Dolphins who gave up on him when they signed Carter. After Carter was signed he knew the Fins no longer wanted him and got the surgury. In the off season he tried to sign for big bucks but not team wanted him. So know he considering going back to miami. I think he will sign with miami but for a one maybe two year deal.

marlins02

what the hell were they thinking pissing Gadsen off and going after Chris Carter a month into the season? he's Chris Carter, but an older Chris Carter that wasnt preparing for the upcoming season like in the past and they expected him to just pick things up. it helped mess things up last year. The good thing is that he turned down all those other offers, so we can get him way cheaper now.
Obviuosly i said he got pissed off by the Dolphins going after Carter. But money was also a factor. he wanted big money and they didnt want to give him what he wanted. All of sudden they go get Carter, yeah it hurt his ego that they werent going to be relying on him and that played into his decision, but it also told him we werent going to give him the money he wanted so he decided to end his season, get healthy and hope someone else will give him what he wanted during the offseason. So it was because both his ego and money. money is always involved someway in all pro sports

Wild Card

Muckdog
Reaction score
Alright, bottomline, the Miami Dolphins offense will be much, much better with Orande Gadsden on it...

This team will finally have talent and depth at the two positions they have lacked that over the past three seasons: WR and QB

Can that generate into a SB championship? Nobody knows... But let's hope...

marlins02

its not really about talent with this team. we had the talent last year. its whether or not they can avoid choking and get a little luck (avoiding injuries)

Wild Card

Muckdog
Reaction score
Well, we had the talent last year, but funny thing is, we have much MORE! With the depth we now have on offense, and the even more depth we have on Defense, I think this years D will help us sustain or avoid any late season collapse... It looks and sounds that good...

marlins02

ive watched this team for ten years (im 19), others have watched it longer, but everyone will tell you that it always looks and sounds good entering the season. maybe this will be the year, hopefully, im desperate for it, but dont start booking reservations for Houston yet just because of the roster

Wild Card

Muckdog
Reaction score
I have also been following this team for years (I'm only 14, so I've only followed it since Shula retired and Johnson took over). I know all about its vast history and the way it always looks and appeals perfect, then ends up collapsing. But the team they are fielding this season is the best one I've personally ever seen...

I think this is it.

Top Bottom