What's new

Gary Sheffield a D-Ray?

DurableTear

Muckdog
Reaction score
Credit: TBO.com

Rays Next Stop For Braves' Sheffield?
Published: Jun 28, 2003

ST. PETERSBURG - Braves outfielder Gary Sheffield is in the final year of a six-year, $61 million contract. With $11 million in salary this season, and one world championship with the Florida Marlins, Sheffield's priority next season isn't necessarily a chance to play for a contender or money.
He said his priority is location.

Sheffield, who grew up in Tampa and owns a home on Harbour Island, can't get any closer to home than playing for the Rays. And when asked if he would consider joining Tampa Bay next season, the All-Star slugger replied, "Of course.''

Sheffield said he wants to play another five seasons. The likely price range of that contract would be around $70 million-$75 million.

That might be a bit out of Tampa Bay's price range, but Sheffield wasn't buying the idea that his hometown team is doomed to lose forever.

"You can't say they can't win, you know what I mean?,'' Sheffield said. ``They need players to win.''

Sheffield could play at either corner in the outfield, or possibly move back to his original position at third base, where he played with Milwaukee and San Diego. And there is no question Sheffield can fulfill Piniella's wish for an established right-handed bat in the lineup.

"He's been a very productive hitter for a long, long time,'' Piniella said. He's got a quick bat, he's strong, he drives in runs. He's very productive.''

OWNER OUTRAGED: On a night when free copies of The Tampa Tribune were distributed to fans at Tropicana Field, Devil Rays managing general partner Vince Naimoli expressed his displeasure with a column that appeared in Friday's sports section by shouting at two Tribune reporters in the back of the press box.

Naimoli was offended by this line in Martin Fennelly's column about Lou Piniella's sharp and loud criticism of Ben Grieve: ``Sooner or later, Piniella needs to ask whether any of this losing matters to Rays owner Vince Naimoli - enough to build a winner. Does it matter? Well, does it?''

After a profane and public admonishment in front of several major-league scouts and other reporters, Naimoli walked toward the entrance to his suite. He turned and added:

"Tell [Fennelly] not to call me for anything. Or anybody from the Tribune!''

This is the second time in the past four seasons that Naimoli has threatened to stop speaking to Tribune reporters.

ROOKIE HOST: Devil Rays rookie CF Rocco Baldelli will host today's episode of "This Week in Baseball'' on Channel 13 at 12:30 p.m., prior to the Major League Baseball Fox Saturday Game of the Week.

Baldelli is the second rookie to host the show in its 26-year history. The first was Philadelphia Phillies SS Jimmy Rollins in 2001.

The segment highlights the rookie prank performed against Baldelli when teammates put his first name on the back of his uniform, rather than his last name.

The show also provides a glimpse into Baldelli's life in the Bay area, as well as childhood photos and home videos.

OF Delmon Young, the No. 1 overall selection by the Rays in this year's amateur draft, also will be featured on the segment in the ``Beyond the Fence'' portion of the show. ROCKER RELEASED: Former Atlanta reliever John Rocker was released by the Rays on Friday. Rocker spent most of the season with Double-A Orlando, where he posted a 0-1 record with a 9.15 ERA in 17 appearances.

He walked 26 batters and allowed 23 hits in 19 2/3 innings. In two appearances for the Rays this season, Rocker had a 9.00 ERA with three walks and a hit batter in one inning of work.

AROUND THE HORN: Sheffield and Rafael Furcal were a combined 0-for-22 with one RBI in their last series against Philadelphia. ... The Rays tied the club record for most losses in a month with 20, and tied the major-league record for most interleague losses in a season with 14. ... Rays RF Aubrey Huff added to his career-high doubles total with his 28th in the eighth inning. Anaheim's Garrett Anderson entered the weekend leading the AL in doubles with 28.

Adam Adkins, Joe Henderson, Carter Gaddis

Joe

Muckdog
Reaction score
That would be fricken awesome.

Rune

Muckdog
Reaction score
I doubt they would open their pockets for even Shef plus I'd much rather get players already there signed up Long Term.

Joe

Muckdog
Reaction score
Yeah, I would like some of them long term but an OF of Crawford,Huff,Baldelli and Sheffield one of them being DH = Maximum Ownage +1

CapeFish

Muckdog
Reaction score
I think Gary may end up back home in tampa. They need someone like him. :mischief2 That also means he leaves Atlanta and gets out of our hair for most of the time. Tampa lay out the welcome mat for the native son! :lol

CapeFish

Muckdog
Reaction score
Sweet Lou and Sheffield would be one mad combo. watch out AL east! :lol I like the idea. Shef produces, Vince can come up with the money, or if Sheff wants, give him an interest in the team.

Top Bottom