Gas Pump Goof = Great Savings

cgator

Muckdog
Reaction score
link

Goof gives drivers a bargain at the pump

Associated Press
May 25, 2003

SPRINGVILLE, Ind. -- Margie Fizer usually buys mid-grade gasoline. When she saw the price for regular was 15.9 cents a gallon, though, she changed her mind.

"I thought, 'Heck, I'll pump regular,' " she said.

Fizer said several other customers at the Family Express in rural LaPorte County were also pumping gasoline at the time.

Fizer told The Michigan City News-Dispatch that it appears that when the station was changing prices upward Thursday somebody apparently misplaced the decimal point. What should have been $1.599 ended up being $0.159.

A man answering the telephone Friday at the convenience store said no one at the station about 20 miles west of South Bend would comment, then hung up. A message seeking comment was left Friday at Family Express corporate headquarters in Valparaiso by The Associated Press.

Fizer said she used a credit card to pay at the pump, but some customers had gone inside to pay. She was surprised no one inside noticed what was happening.

Fizer has a receipt showing she filled her tank with 17.359 gallons of gas for $2.76.

"I plan on saving it," she said. "I'll never see that price for gasoline again."

Top Bottom