What's new

Gerit Cole breaks the bank.

Das Texan

Loria can kiss my ass
VIP
Dasshole
Reaction score
9 years/324 million to the Yankees.

Yankees finally back to being the Yankees.

SonOfJack

Omnichannel Integration Expert
Writer
Reaction score
Boras had a good week

Michael

Wind Surge
VIP
Writer
Reaction score
Did they resurrect George?

SilverBullet

Marlin
Instagram Curator
Reaction score
No mention that it's literally $1 million short of Stanton's contract? I wonder if there's anything behind that?

SilverBullet

Marlin
Instagram Curator
Reaction score
Huh? So he has an opt out but they can not allow him to use it? So he might not really even have the opt out?

SonOfJack

Omnichannel Integration Expert
Writer
Reaction score
Huh? So he has an opt out but they can not allow him to use it? So he might not really even have the opt out?
Yes basically. They can void his opt out anytime before he uses it if they want. They'd add a one year deal worth 36 million by doing so.

SilverBullet

Marlin
Instagram Curator
Reaction score
Yes basically. They can void his opt out anytime before he uses it if they want. They'd add a one year deal worth 36 million by doing so.
What a weird thing for Cole to agree to.

el_gmac

I don't like Mike Hill and Jeter
VIP
Reaction score
why he would Opt-Out he aint getting pay much more than NY is paying him , if I was him i will do the opt-out just to add the extra year

Reaction score
Yeah, that's odd.
Here's how I think of it: While opt outs are getting more common in contracts, we rarely see players actually opt out. Normally what happens is that they negotiate a new deal. In this case, they are just heading off that negotiation to give Cole some peace of mind.

At least that's the way I see it.

rmc523

Hammerhead
Reaction score
Here's how I think of it: While opt outs are getting more common in contracts, we rarely see players actually opt out. Normally what happens is that they negotiate a new deal. In this case, they are just heading off that negotiation to give Cole some peace of mind.

Yeah, I guess that makes sense.

Das Texan

Loria can kiss my ass
VIP
Dasshole
Reaction score
its such a fucking weird clause, but I guess whatever in the end.

marlinsmaniac

Muckdog
Reaction score

That’s exactly right

SilverBullet

Marlin
Instagram Curator
Reaction score
That still makes no sense to me because if thats the case why is it called an opt out when he can't opt out?

They can add in ways to extend the contract if they want to, basically these are just team and/or player options which have existed for years already.

But don't call it an opt out if the Yankees can just take it away from him.

To me they're turning his opt out into an option and confusing the terminology of the two things.

Top Bottom