What's new

Get Sheff in the Hall!!!

FishFanInPA

Gary Sheffield, appearing as a guest on FSN's "Best Damn Sports Show Period," on what cap he'd wear if he gets into the Hall of Fame: "The Florida Marlins. We won the championship there."

yankeefan21

Muckdog
Reaction score
I don't think he makes it in. He's very borderline based on current standards and those standards are probably going to be higher by the time his ballott floats around. It's a good thought, though. It's hard to believe that this guy never found a permanent home. If he gets in and wants to get in as a Marlin? So be it.

CapeFish

Muckdog
Reaction score
He's got to retire first. I do think he makes it in though.

TSwift25

Muckdog
Reaction score
I've made many posts on this, statistically, he'll go in as a Marlin.

Most games played, highest career output, best single season ('96) and the championship.

The only threats were if he hit both #500 and won a ring with the Yankees or going back to the Dodgers. Now he just needs #500.

Passion

Muckdog
Reaction score
He's got to retire first.
:| :lol

Anyways, if he gets 500 I'd say he is a virtual lock and he should probably be in right now. If he gets in I definitely think it would be with a Marlins cap.

When he ends up, probably after next season, his numbers are more than likely going to be along the lines of:

2500+ Hits
500+ HR
1600+ RBI
.295+ Career BA
5 Silver Sluggers
9-Time All-Star
6 Times in Top 10 MVP Voting

His HOF Monitor is 132 (Likely HOFer is > 100)
His HOF Standards is 59.7 (Average HOFer is ~50 )

He should be in.

Wild Card

Muckdog
Reaction score
This board has had a lot of discussions about this. I don't think there's much doubt he'll end up in the HOF, and I don't think anyone has doubted that he should go in as a Marlin. The only thing none of us have known is what team he would prefer to enter with (which the Hall takes into consideration), and now we do. It will be a great day in Marlin history when he is inducted, and it will be just as great a day to have our first HOF name on a banner in the new stadium.

fanofthefish

Marlins Historian
Reaction score
I agree with you Wild Card, Sheff's just got to get to 500 and he's a lock. To the first of what will be many Marlins HOFers.

Hotcorner

Muckdog
Reaction score
pretty cool that he'd like to go in as a Marlin though if he had his pick.

TSwift25

Muckdog
Reaction score
I don't think it's that surprising that he picked us. He's long been the most vocal supporter of the Marlins.

There was an interview in Maxim a few years ago when he actually got angry when other players (Pierzynsky and Millar) thought that baseball had no place in South Florida.

Mauer7

Muckdog
Reaction score
the players should be allowed to pick there hats. the HOF committee or whoever currently decides should just be an advisor.

Fish4Life

Muckdog
Reaction score
the players should be allowed to pick there hats. the HOF committee or whoever currently decides should just be an advisor.

Well said...

TSwift25

Muckdog
Reaction score

I take it you're new to this, so I'll let it slide, but players used to and then abused that right.

Iowa

Muckdog
Reaction score
Wow.. i didnt know they couldn't pick their own caps.

DelGOT2Rings

Muckdog
Reaction score

I take it you're new to this, so I'll let it slide, but players used to and then abused that right.
exactly. Gary Carter not wanting to go into the hall as an Expo despite playing 11 years there also had something to do with it too...these guys forget this honor is for historical accomplishments, not just the town they had their fondest memory. If you ask me, they should abandon the whole "hat" idea anyway....why not put a bust up like in the NFL? I know why they do hats ("because they always have"), but in this day and age of Free Agency, it is unnecessary.

EndLine

Muckdog
Reaction score
I don't think it's that surprising that he picked us. He's long been the most vocal supporter of the Marlins.

There was an interview in Maxim a few years ago when he actually got angry when other players (Pierzynsky and Millar) thought that baseball had no place in South Florida.
That's exactly what I though of when I read the topic. I think I posted that interview too (2005-20006 offseason).

TSwift25

Muckdog
Reaction score

exactly. Gary Carter not wanting to go into the hall as an Expo despite playing 11 years there also had something to do with it too...these guys forget this honor is for historical accomplishments, not just the town they had their fondest memory. If you ask me, they should abandon the whole "hat" idea anyway....why not put a bust up like in the NFL? I know why they do hats ("because they always have"), but in this day and age of Free Agency, it is unnecessary.

Nah, it was Winfield and Boggs taking kick-backs to go in with other teams, and in the case of Boggs, it was the breaking point for the Hall.

Top Bottom