fanfish

Muckdog
Reaction score
AROUND THE HORN
Lieber found Girardi to be big tipper

By Chris Jenkins
UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER
February 25, 2007

Apparently, the old rules about fraternization in baseball are about as much in play anymore as the Marquess of Queensberry rules at the Ultimate Fighting Championships.

However nice the story of Jon Lieber's turnaround last year ? the Phillies right-hander went from 4-8 with a 6.09 ERA on July 31 to 5-3, 3.38 in his final 11 starts ? purists have to wonder about the source of his improvement. At his low point, Lieber gave up nine runs on 13 hits in only 4 2/3 innings against the Marlins, whereupon he got a phone call from Florida manager Joe Girardi.

He just mentioned that the hitters said everything that was coming in was just very flat,? Lieber said, attributing his turnabout to that conversation. ?Basically I was underneath the ball. I wasn't on top of the ball like I should have been. And that's why the ball doesn't have that crispness when it gets to the strike zone or that sharp break on my breaking ball. It just kind of stays right there for the hitters to lick their lips at.?
Such a talk would be questionable enough if the Marlins and Phillies were just in the same league, but they're both members of the NL East and still had 10 games to play against each other in September when Girardi helped Lieber correct his problem, including the final weekend of the season as both vied for a wild-card spot.

[url=http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/baseball/20070225-9999-1s25bbhorn.html

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
this happens all the time in baseball

opposing managers would tell each other when they thought a pitcher was tipping his pitches

absolutely nothing wrong with what Joe did here

fanfish

Muckdog
Reaction score

opposing managers would tell each other when they thought a pitcher was tipping his pitches

I couldn't disagree with you more!

If it happens all the time in baseball, it is wrong every time it happens!

The job of the manager is to win games for his team and for the fans. It is not his job to act like the "nice guy" to the opposing player, specially to those player that his team will be facing that same year! It is up to the players own manager and coaching staff to help him out.

There is NO excuse for this. NONE!

MarlinatPenn

Muckdog
Reaction score
You're f***ing kidding me.
Is there anyway we can fire his ass again?
:notworthy

louiecastillo1

Muckdog
Reaction score
As long as he's not telling him what type of pitch he should throw,
I think i'll put this on the "meh" catagory. But I agree he should
have just kept his mouth shut.

TSwift25

Muckdog
Reaction score

Yup, and players will call old pitching coaches all the time for mechanics/effectiveness issues.

"Do unto others..."

SHUfishfan

Muckdog
Reaction score
I put it in the 'Meh" category because I don't like it as most fans wouldn't but I know it happens in baseball so I really can't complain because god knows who's calling players on our team.

TheDon

Muckdog
Reaction score

The job of the manager is to win games for his team and for the fans. It is not his job to act like the "nice guy" to the opposing player, specially to those player that his team will be facing that same year! It is up to the players own manager and coaching staff to help him out.

OmG gIraRdi HeLPed oTHeR TeAmS BeAT tHE MArlIns!!!!!!!!!!!

ThERe iS nO ExCuSE

get a life

prinmemito

Muckdog
Reaction score

OmG gIraRdi HeLPed oTHeR TeAmS BeAT tHE MArlIns!!!!!!!!!!!

ThERe iS nO ExCuSE

get a life

you're an ass

Top Bottom