What's new

Glavine may be headed to the DL

AJBurnett34

Muckdog
Reaction score
For the first time in his Career!!! I dont think he is too happy about being a met. He should of stayed as a brave...

Glavine leaves early in loss
By Kevin T. Czerwinski / MLB.com?
? ?
Tom Glavine reacts after Keith Osik's two-run double in the first inning. (Bernie Nunez/AP)?

NEW YORK -- Tom Glavine's next start may be in jeopardy, but he insists he will not go on the disabled list after leaving the second game of Thursday's doubleheader against Milwaukee because of pain in his left elbow.
Glavine threw 54 pitches through one-plus innings of work before the pain caused by a bone spur on the back of his elbow rendered him unable to pitch. The veteran southpaw labored through the first inning, throwing 51 pitches and allowing four runs to the Brewers, who eventually earned a 5-3 victory and a doubleheader sweep.

Milwaukee took the opener, 8-7, after Steve Trachsel, pitching with a flu-like illness, got hit hard.

While Trachsel is expected to make his next start, Glavine seemed unsure of when he will get back on the mound. He will be re-evaluated by team physician Dr. Andrew Rokito on Friday. Glavine, who has never been on the disabled list during his career, was adamant about not going on the DL. His next scheduled start would be Wednesday in Texas.

"The DL is not an option now," Glavine, 37, said. "I've never been on the DL and I've never missed a start to my knowledge. I don't know about my next start. If it gets significantly better, we'll deal with it. If it doesn't, we'll make the appropriate decision. Hopefully over the next week or 10 days it will calm down."

Manager Art Howe confirmed that Glavine might miss a start, adding that he saw Glavine grimace after his last pitch of the night, a ball to Richie Sexson in the second.

"I just didn't feel good physically tonight," said Glavine, who walked four batters and allowed three hits in the first. "I had a hard time doing what I wanted to do. It's been bothering me for a while and I guess it's gotten worse since my last start. I got a lot of treatment this week and I didn't feel good all week.

"It's difficult for me to extend my arm now and get the ball down. When I try and get the ball down, it hurts. Then after the first inning, when I sat down and then tried to go back out there, it didn't feel real good."

Glavine said he has known about the bone spur for some time and that it showed up on an MRI he had taken before he signed with the Mets in December. He said that it has acted up from time to time but that it hasn't limited him in any way.

He complained of elbow pain after his May 13 start in Denver, but disregarded the discomfort because he has a history of feeling stress on his elbow when pitching at Coors Field. Glavine's next start in San Francisco was his best of the season. He went 8 1/3 innings and allowed only one run but admits now that his elbow was "a little more tender after that game than it normally is."

The former Cy Young Award winner had lost his previous two starts heading into Thursday's game, both against Atlanta. He allowed 11 runs in 10 1/3 innings over that stretch. Glavine lasted 3 1/3 innings against the Braves on May 24, allowing six runs on eight hits, later citing blister problems as part of the reason why he got hit hard.

He pitched seven innings against the Braves last Friday, allowing five runs (four solo homers) on nine hits. Blisters were not a factor in that start. His ERA over his last three starts is 12.70.

"Denver was the start of it," Glavine said. "I felt fine until that point in time. I've been getting treatment pretty much since then. Pitching with the blister two starts ago probably didn't help it."

Despite the discomfort he had been feeling all week, Glavine said he never thought of not making Thursday's start.

"I knew yesterday (Wednesday) that this one was going to be tough," Glavine said. "I had stuff with my shoulder before. I never had anything with the elbow. I've had that (shoulder) stuff go away from one start to the next so that was part of why I felt like I could go out and pitch today. I would have felt worse if I said I wasn't going to pitch tonight and not even go out there and try it.

"I hate being hurt. It worries me because I don't have anything to base it on. I have no past experience with significant elbow problems. And I'm concerned now, but not long-term. It's not something that crept up. The spur has been there for a long time."

Thursday's outing was the shortest by Glavine since May 16, 1989 at the Cubs when he faced four batters and didn't retire any of them before being lifted. All four batters scored and the Cubs won the game, 4-3.

Link

Top Bottom