What's new

Go get Kenny Lofton

Iowa

Muckdog
Reaction score
He's due less than 6 mil and is a FA next season. He's 39 and Texas is beyond terrible. You'd have to think they'd eat over half iof it if we were to part with a decent SP prospect. They will be stupid not to move him.

We're only 4 games back in the loss column for the wildcard. Its not an earth-shattering move but it provides much needed stability in the position. No more platoons, just stick the ageless vet out there. He'll still give you 30 steals with a decent average and a solid OBP and cover a lot of ground in the OF and can leadoff if we are still set on hanley batting 3rd. I think a move like this sends a very positive message to our team... hopefully we explore it.

TSwift25

Muckdog
Reaction score
Not yet.

Not that I'm against the idea, but not yet.

Nny

Muckdog
Reaction score
When it comes to giving up a prospect for one year (Well, 3/4th a year at this point) is, will jeopardizing the future of this ballclub put us in a position to win the world series this year?

I don't think the addition of Lofton puts us in that position higher enough then not having Lofton to pull the trade.

Plus Texas would have to eat, like, all but 1m of his salary, really raising his price tag.

Iowa

Muckdog
Reaction score
I really doubt trading foir kenny lofton would jeopardize our future

TSwift25

Muckdog
Reaction score
When it comes to giving up a prospect for one year (Well, 3/4th a year at this point) is, will jeopardizing the future of this ballclub put us in a position to win the world series this year?

I don't think the addition of Lofton puts us in that position higher enough then not having Lofton to pull the trade.

Plus Texas would have to eat, like, all but 1m of his salary, really raising his price tag.

Just to play the Devil's advocate, say that to the 2003 team about Urbina, who, more or less, had the same rap you're putting off above.

In no way do I think Lofton could/would have the same impact on the club like Urbina did, but for simple nostalgia, the parallels sure are fun, aren't they?

While I loathe Reggiezaga out there, we are winning despite them. Who knows what we'll hear about Mitre tomorrow, or JJ on Sunday, or Nolasco/Sanchez in a few weeks.

It was incomprehensible at the start of the year, but if we're in it at the deadline, we may actually need to add a starter more than anything.

LordMagnus

Muckdog
Reaction score
Lofton does not put the Marlins over the top, especially at age 39

Nny

Muckdog
Reaction score

Well like I said, Texas would have to eat a lot of his salary, really raising his price tag a lot. We would have to give up a good prospect. If we're going to give up a good prospect, I'd much rather get someone better or younger.

TSwift25

Muckdog
Reaction score

Well like I said, Texas would have to eat a lot of his salary, really raising his price tag a lot. We would have to give up a good prospect. If we're going to give up a good prospect, I'd much rather get someone better or younger.

Which, in this ever cyclical logic game, would raise the price tag even more.

Top Bottom