What's new

Gonzalez may miss Spring Training for Jury Duty?

sgleason02

Muckdog
Reaction score
For Marlins manager Fredi Gonzalez, civic duty comes before baseball duty.

Instead of preparing for spring training, Gonzalez has spent the past three weeks of his off-season in a Cobb County, Ga., courtroom as a juror in a civil trial over a $126 million Medicare fraud case involving the financial company PricewaterhouseCoopers.

When the trial started Jan. 8, Judge Tom Pope told potential jurors that it could last up to six weeks. Gonzalez, a former Atlanta Braves third-base coach hired by the Marlins in October, told the judge he needed to be in Florida for spring training by mid-February.

But baseball, even in the major leagues, apparently is no excuse for getting out of jury duty.

"The plaintiffs are almost done with their witnesses,'' Gonzalez said Wednesday. "Now the defendants get to call their witnesses,''

If the pace slows or if the jury takes long to deliberate, there's a chance the Marlins will open spring training Feb. 17 without Gonzalez.

"I hope that doesn't happen,'' Gonzalez said. "You never know.''

Less certain are Gonzalez's chances of participating in the Marlins' promotional caravan that starts Feb. 5 and ends with Fanfest on Feb. 10 at Dolphin Stadium.

Owner Jeffrey Loria and General Manager Admin Beinfest are aware of Gonzalez's predicament and are prepared for the possibility of opening camp without him. "Admin knows, Jeffrey knows, the judge knows,'' Gonzalez said. "You've got to perform your civic duty.''

When he reported to the Cobb County Courthouse on Jan. 8, Gonzalez was amused to find a familiar face sitting among the pool of potential jurors - Braves General Manager John Schuerholz.

"I guess they liked me better than John,'' Gonzalez joked.

Sanchez sore: Right-hander Anibal Sanchez had a precautionary MRI on his right shoulder Monday after feeling discomfort while throwing in his native Venezuela.

The MRI showed no structural damage, but Sanchez was diagnosed with inflammation and tendinitis. He will not throw for two weeks and will undergo another MRI on Feb. 5.

Sanchez is expected to be eased into his spring training routine after pitchers and catchers report Feb. 17.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/marlins/content/sports/epaper/2007/01/26/a1b_gonzalez_0126.html

gomarlins9703

Muckdog
Reaction score
thats stupid. screw the courts and the trial. f*** civic duty baseball comes first. :shifty

sgleason02

Muckdog
Reaction score
Where did you find one day? It doesn't say he would miss the opening day, it said that they may open Spring Training without him. If it was a manager that had been around our players, I'd say no big deal. But we're talking about a new manager! He needs to be around the Fish as much as he can, so they can become familiar with coaching styles and playing styles.

CTMarlinsfan

Muckdog
Reaction score
you know, as much as I'm fearing the day jury duty comes for me...hopefully later than sooner...I feel it is right to perform your civic duty first. We live in a democracy, and I feel it is our duty to give back to the government by performing jury duty, no matter what the cost. I applaud Fredi for not making up a lame excuse or talking his way out of it.

But I hope he is there to open camp

JetsMania

Muckdog
Reaction score
Where did you find one day? It doesn't say he would miss the opening day, it said that they may open Spring Training without him. If it was a manager that had been around our players, I'd say no big deal. But we're talking about a new manager! He needs to be around the Fish as much as he can, so they can become familiar with coaching styles and playing styles.

Ok one or two days. The trial started jan 8 and they said up to six weeks which is about feb 19. Missing the first day or two (if he even does) is not a big deal. If anyone is seriously upset about this, then you have a problem.

sgleason02

Muckdog
Reaction score
Ok one or two days. The trial started jan 8 and they said up to six weeks which is about feb 19. Missing the first day or two (if he even does) is not a big deal. If anyone is seriously upset about this, then you have a problem.

:lol Do you think there are other managers that won't be at the first day of Spring Training?

I don't know if this is enough to be "upset" about, but it's certainly something you don't like to see, especially when it's his first year managing the team.

FreshFish

Muckdog
Reaction score

you never know with the legal system. 6 weeks could become 8 or even more.

::waits for someone to say we should fire him for this::

I live for this: Fire Fredi, bring back Jack

Fish4Life

Muckdog
Reaction score
Well that sucks!

Have Girardi be the subsitute.

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

BeefWillingham

Muckdog
Reaction score
CTMarlinsFan.... How is Quinnipiac? Do you know anything about their law school? I've seen pictures and it looks pretty amazing. I would appreciate anything you could tell me.

sorry to hijack the thread....

CTMarlinsfan

Muckdog
Reaction score
well to answer BeefWillingham:
the law school from what i heard is amazing. I have taken a legal studies course and am taking another one right now. Both with real lawyers. You learn Federal and CT law more often then not, but the law library has every law book known in the US, its pretty cool. That being said, I'm not a lwayer nor am I majoring in legal.

hijacking over

Juanky

:lol Do you think there are other managers that won't be at the first day of Spring Training?

I don't know if this is enough to be "upset" about, but it's certainly something you don't like to see, especially when it's his first year managing the team.:rolleyes:

Being a citizen > Going to work

MarlinFan10

Muckdog
Reaction score
He certainly needs to finish the trial, but I just wish he could've made himself look biased somehow so he wouldn't be selected in the first place.

TheDon

Muckdog
Reaction score

I don't know if this is enough to be "upset" about, but it's certainly something you don't like to see, especially when it's his first year managing the team.:rolleyes:

Being a citizen > Going to work

Amen.

Are you people for real? He is an AMERICAN. Being the manager does not relieve him of his duties.

pierremvp1

Muckdog
Reaction score
I think that ranking far ahead of jury duty on the scale of "being an American citizen", is exercising your right to vote. It amazes me that routinely 50% of the populace forego this right in big(Presidential) elections. The forego rate is closer to 80-95% in local voting.
It brings up an interesting point. I've heard of MLB players being drafted, but I've never heard of a case of a big-time player or manager who was called for jury duty during the season. It must have happened. I assume that in these cases the player or manager requested a postponment until season's end, which would be routinely allowed. Perhaps Gonzalez should have requested a postponment until October.

Top Bottom