What's new

Gonzalez Still Endorses Julio

djm305

Muckdog
Reaction score
GONZALEZ ENDORSES

''We've got to keep running him out there,'' Marlins manager Fredi Gonzalez said. ``He's got to pitch. We need him to get over this hurdle.

``We have to keep running him out there and get his confidence up.''

The night should have belonged to Vanden Hurk, 21, who became the first pitcher from the Netherlands to start a major-league game since Bert Blyleven, and only the sixth to play in the big leagues.

http://www.miamiherald.com/591/story/69945.html

That is just plain crazy, please tell me he doesn't mean in a save situation.

MarlinFan10

Muckdog
Reaction score
How is his confidence getting restored with the way he's pitching?

At least he didn't specify he has to get him out there in save situations, hopefully that means he won't put Julio on the mound in a save situation.

Marlins2003

Muckdog
Reaction score
I'm absolutely amazed people here find it hard to believe Gonzalez would say that. What would you expect a professional sports manager or head coach would say?

It's the right thing to say, EVEN IF it's not the right thing to do in the eyes of the fans. And that has nothing to do with Admin Beinfest. Whether it was Joe Torre or Lou Pinella or Tony LaRussa, if any of them were managng the Fish and were faced with the same situation this early in the season, they would all say and do the same thing.

Reaction score
This is just the politically correct thing to do or say.

We have to get him to build his confidence and if this team wants to make the playoffs, then we could certainly use his arm!

I bet TSwift and LIFETIME BAN that his ERA will be under 3.5 the rest of the way.

VNYB

Muckdog
Reaction score
Do you think a manager is going to say anyting negative about his players in the press? You guys seem so suprised. He is trying to boost his confidence. You never rip a player in the press period. There not going to give up on someone in a week no mater how bad they do.

Flamarlins3

Muckdog
Reaction score
He isn't going to come out and say "he sucks." Of course he'd say something like that. Although I'd prefer him to say that he will be moving from the closer position. It seems like half the battle with Julio is mental and by completely trashing him to the media would probably be counter-productive. Not that he should have to baby a grown man, but sometimes it's necessary.

Now if he continues to come into the game in close situations. Then I'll have a problem with it

Fishfan79

Muckdog
Reaction score
Exactly he isnt going to rip into the guy, that just tosses oil to the flame. He will try to protect "his player" from harm and deflect it to himself. All coaches do, if you read between the lines of coach speak it sounds like he will be "tossed out there" in places that wont matter to get his confidence back.

BobbyBowden

Muckdog
Reaction score
Uhhh Admin, time to step in and make sure Freddie knows who is in charge.

djm305

Muckdog
Reaction score
Well I have no problem with Freddi's comments. However, I do have a problem if Freddi continues to run this guy out there in close games to "build his confidence".

Hollyberry

Muckdog
Reaction score
Hopefully Julio trips on a banana peel before the game and then we don't have to go through this anymore.

Well I have no problem with Freddi's comments. However, I do have a problem if Freddi continues to run this guy out there in close games to "build his confidence".
If they want to build his confidence they should send him to Jupiter and work out of this madness. Why do it here where it really counts.

djfunz

Muckdog
Reaction score
i sure wish there was something we could do as fans to stop this disaster in the making. to keep putting this fruitcake out on the mound is suicide! freddie is just being the puppet that loria wants! if they pull julio now it would prove that management has made one of the bigger mistakes in recent memory. they paid this trash 3.5 million (third higest on the team) to blow saves? why do you think this is his 4th team? :banghead

XxFactorxX

Muckdog
Reaction score
i sure wish there was something we could do as fans to stop this disaster in the making. to keep putting this fruitcake out on the mound is suicide! freddie is just being the puppet that loria wants! if they pull julio now it would prove that management has made one of the bigger mistakes in recent memory. they paid this trash 3.5 million (third higest on the team) to blow saves? why do you think this is his 4th team? :banghead

3.6 million to be exact... thats about 3.59999 million more than this guy deserves the way he is pitching right now. I saw his pitches and his fastball has no movement when thrown for a strike, and all his pitches look flat. To top it off with his control problems, he is a headache right now but hopefully for all of us he will pull it together and atleast be a decent setup man.... still wont justify the money we dished out for him though.

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
Yea, absolutely nothing wrong with what Fredi said about Julio. Can't throw the guy under the bus as badly as you want to.

BeefWillingham

Muckdog
Reaction score
Uhhh Admin, time to step in and make sure Freddie knows who is in charge.

The problem in this case is that Fredi does know who is in charge and that is Beinfest in this situation. Beinfest went out and got the guy and the Marlins are paying him a nice chunk of change so Admin won't be quick to just admit Julio sucks and the move wasn't ever needed.

GoGators

Muckdog
Reaction score
i agree with fredi. julio has to get out there and pitch. however, it should NOT be in critical situations such as saves. he should come in only during blow outs or middle relief when the bottom of the order is up. and he needs to be on a short leash if he starts getting walk happy. hopefully he can be a contributing part of our bullpen at somepoint this season.

Hotcorner

Muckdog
Reaction score
''We've got to keep running him out there,''
we do? why?

"He's got to pitch. We need him to get over this hurdle.
why do we need him? we can't succeed without him?

"We have to keep running him out there and get his confidence up.''
how many games shall we put up for grabs while he works on his confidence?

Top Bottom