What's new

Good article on last night's game

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
c/o Boston Herald
It was a night for awe and for prayer, for frustration and for anger. And it was, somewhat sadly, also a night for shame.

The Red Sox defeated the Florida Marlins by a 25-8 score in the thick and heavy air last night, and rarely has there been a more complex convergence of events in the 91-year history of fabled Fenway Park. The Sox scored an astonishing 14 runs in the first inning. Opposing reliever Kevin Olsen was struck on the back of the head by a wicked line drive. And a night filled with Florida frustration culminated in a volley of brushback pitches triggered by Red Sox ruthlessness on the basepaths.

There was no compassion in this game.

No mercy.

``I didn't realize the pitching was that bad here in Boston that you had to tag up on short flies in the seventh inning with a 16-run lead,'' said annoyed Florida manager Jack McKeon, who obviously has not seen the Boston bullpen pitch this year.

``A 16-run lead? Is your pitching that bad? But I know Grady (Little, the Red Sox manager) and I know that's not his style. . . . We were sleeping out there. To get ahead 16 runs, 18 runs, let us sleep. If they want to wake us up, fine.''

Added a sarcastic McKeon: ``When it got to a 20-run lead, we had to worry whether (the Red Sox) were going to squeeze or not.''

Said Florida starter and former Sox prospect Carl Pavano, who allowed six straight hits to the Sox to start the game: ``They must not be too confident in their pitching to run their guys around (on the bases) like that. I guess they needed the runs. That's clear. From what I've been taught, that's bad baseball. I'm sure they know that as well.''

Oh, it was fun for a while, the Red Sox beginning the night with a virtual baseball avalanche. The Red Sox sent 19 men to the plate in the historic first inning, amassing 14 runs and 13 hits. Where molecular physics had Enrico Fermi and the chain reaction, the Red Sox had Johnny Damon (3-for-3 in the first inning) and the smoking bats.

The score was 20-5 at the start of the seventh. Walker whistled a liner that struck Olsen in the back of head, evoking memories of Tony Conigliaro, Dick Pole and Bryce Florie in the blink of an eye. Fenway went silent as Olsen crumpled to the ground, then cheered politely as the 26-year-old was carted off the field.

At the worst of times, Fenway fans were on their best behavior. Later, preliminary reports from Beth Israel Hospital indicated Olsen was being held overnight for observation, but also that he was in ``good'' condition and that he appeared to suffer only ``minor'' injuries.

``It was scary,'' said McKeon, 72 and a baseball lifer.

Almost immediately, the game deteriorated. Following Olsen's injury - and with the Sox now ahead 21-5 - Walker tried to score on Doug Mirabelli's short fly to center with two outs. Marlins center fielder Juan Pierre threw out Walker at the plate, but the mere attempt to score reflected poorly on the Sox and suggested to the Marlins in McKeon's words, that the Sox were trying to ``rub it in.''

While Cubbage expressed some remorse, Walker defended his play.

In retrospect, the Sox looked tactless.

``I lose respect for his guys if they're upset that we're tagging on fly balls,'' was Walker's contention.

Said Cubbage: ``I can see why they would (be upset). Our hitters have to finish the game. If I don't send the guy, (Red Sox hitters) are not going to be happy. It's a fine line. It wasn't an easy game for me. I think you keep playing the game. If I have one regret, it's probably sending Walker on the ball Mirabelli hit.''

Naturally, the Marlins retaliated, punishing the Red Sox for running ruthlessly by hitting David Ortiz with a pitch on the right kneecap. In baseball, after all, that is what Hammurabi's Code calls for when a team is running up the score.

Unable (or unwilling?) to take their medicine, the Sox shamed themselves further when Hector Almonte threw a pitch behind Andy Fox in the next half-inning. The benches emptied but order was restored, at least as much as possible on a night when anarchy reigned.

``I've seen a lot of guys get hurt because of that stuff,'' said McKeon. ``It's kind of an unwritten rule (that) you don't rub it in because somebody will rub it into them before it's all over.

``I don't think we'll forget,'' McKeon added. ``I just hope we can do something about it.'

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
Jack and Pavano seem to be pretty pissed

CapeFish

Muckdog
Reaction score
The red Sox showed no class. They showed no compassion, it was very selfish. If the Marlins had done it like what they did I would have sworn off being a fan of the team.

CapeFish

Muckdog
Reaction score
Ramp, you don't believe me? I would have the Orioles or Braves dialed right in, believe me. Now if the Fish do what the Sox did to them last night, tonight I will understand it to be retaliation and forgive it. But I doubt the fish will be as classless as the Sox.

The Marlin Man

Muckdog
Reaction score
i dont think the marlins would be that classless either, but i do know that the fish would love to beat boston big today, it would be a huge, HUGE boost for this team to take the last two games, but if we dont, we are still okay...i just hope we show strength and recover, because our season winds down to, in my opinion, the end of this series and our next to series, agains the braves and cubs i believe??....yesterday needs to be forgotten

odom006

Muckdog
Reaction score
i want revnge god damn it!!!!!!!!!

im glad i went to the movies,........ i dunno how you gues watched last nights "Tragedy in Fenway".....

why was Pavz Mad? i pick him as my Dead FISH of the week allready

CapeFish

Muckdog
Reaction score
did anyone notice that nomar only went 1 for 4? strange. i mean everyone else was killing the ball, but their hottest hitter only got one hit?

CapeFish

Muckdog
Reaction score
was reading some bosox forums and they are scared the marlins are going to retaliate BIG time! They fear a beanball game and fights that put them out of commision. They fear Phelps is going to shut down the boSox offense like it had an on and off switch!

odom006

Muckdog
Reaction score
was reading some bosox forums and they are scared the marlins are going to retaliate BIG time! They fear a beanball game and fights that put them out of commision. They fear Phelps is going to shut down the boSox offense like it had an on and off switch!
serious?????? give me a link dawg..... i wanna read what teh Clam Chower fans are talking bout?????

im readdy to Beam NOMAHHHHHHHH and end his 03 season!!!!!

odom

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
the red sox stuff i have read, are the total opposite of we think(and it should be)

McKeon is a baby, Neal hit him on purpose, their gonna light us up tonight and so on

CapeFish

Muckdog
Reaction score
i read one thread on Redsox MLB forum that was an arguement between a worried fan who looked at what one marlins forum said and the people ramp is talking about.

Hanleylicious

Muckdog
Reaction score
``I don't think we'll forget,'' McKeon added. ``I just hope we can do something about it.'
[/quote]
oh.yeaaaa.....we will do somethin' bout that Jack....yes we WILL... :mischief

Top Bottom