What's new

Good Herald Article on Canes's OC situation

Fishfan79

Muckdog
Reaction score
Shannon focuses on Bond as coordinator
BY SUSAN MILLER DEGNAN
sdegnan@MiamiHerald.com

After four candidates for the University of Miami offensive coordinator's job rejected offers or pulled themselves out of contention, Northern Illinois offensive coordinator John Bond has been in discussions with UM coach Randy Shannon, according to an official close to the situation.

''I politely, very politely would rather not comment,'' Bond said by phone Tuesday when asked about his status. ``You need to ask Coach Shannon. I'd like to defer all those questions to Coach Shannon.''

Shannon will not comment on the coaching search.

Memphis running backs coach Tommie Robinson, as first reported by CaneSport.com, is expected to join the UM staff as its new running backs coach.

Bond just completed his third season with the Huskies, whose tailback, Garrett Wolfe, led the nation with 148.3 yards a game. Bond was outgoing UM quarterbacks coach Todd Berry's offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach at Army and Illinois State. He coached ISU receiver Marquis Mosely -- now the UM receivers coach -- and worked with Mosely at Army and NIU.

The Huskies were 43rd in total offense and 50th in scoring offense (25.4 points a game) this past season.

Former Arizona State head coach Dirk Koetter turned down UM to take the offensive coordinator's position with the NFL's Jacksonville Jaguars. Then, Kevin Rogers took a salary increase to remain the quarterbacks coach with the Minnesota Vikings. Next were Oklahoma co-offensive coordinator Kevin Sumlin and Rutgers assistant offensive coordinator John McNulty. Both chose to stay at their schools.

''I don't know if he got offered the job and turned it down or pulled his name out of contention,'' Oklahoma athletic director Joe Castiglione said of Sumlin. ``But I heard he is going to stay. He really does have a very good job here, and has done a very good job, too.''

As for McNulty, he told The Newark (N.J.) Star-Ledger he was offered the UM job and turned it down. ''It wasn't an easy decision at all,'' McNulty told the Star-Ledger. ``This would have been three times in five years doing the move thing. . . . I think we're close to getting done what we want to get done [at Rutgers] and I want to be here for it.''

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sport...mi/16476229.htm

To sum it up. WTF is going on here!!!

This teams needs an OC, we are starting to lose recruits over this issue including our top QB recruit which is a big time need.

Junior

Muckdog
Reaction score
It's going to be Bond. It will be public in a day or two.

Fishfan79

Muckdog
Reaction score
Where do you see anything about losing recruits?
one of our WR and our QB recruits both have verbal agreements but are not getting interviews and visits elsewhere.

Our QB has scheduled one to Alabama for instance.

scouts has alot of info on it all.

Top Bottom