What's new

Great article on the Fish

The_Godfather

Muckdog
Reaction score
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/si_blogs/...-surprises.html

Talks about how it probably is not a fluke that we are hitting the ball so well right now. My favorite part:

The 2007 Marlins are essentially the same cast that ranked eighth in runs scored in the NL last season, but the way they are being used is quite different. First-year manager Fredi Gonzalez isn't nearly as devoted to smallball as his predecessor, Joe Girardi. Gonzalez has toned down a running game that resulted in 58 caught stealings last season, the second-highest total in the league, compared to 110 successful attempts. This year the Fish have only been caught four times (out of 16 attempts). How damaging are caught stealings? They are near-disastrous. A successful stolen base adds .24 runs; a caught stealing costs .68 runs. All that running they did last year actually cost the team about 13 runs. This year they are breaking even.

Also, Gonzalez doesn't kill promising rallies by having his key hitters to sacrifice bunt the way Girardi often did.

Good stuff.

TSwift25

Muckdog
Reaction score
I think the stolen base cut-back is overstated. It's not like Miggy or Jacobs were running last year.

Hanley's just gotten better at picking his spots (and his hammy I'm sure has made him think about taking it easier), Uggla's cut back on it, and we did addition by subtraction with not allowing Abercrombie and his .500 stealing percentage on the basepaths.

Out of the Past

Muckdog
Reaction score
The answer as to why we're first in runs scored is a simple one... we're first in runs scored because we're first in OPS.

In '06 we were 8th in runs scored and we were 8th in OPS.

In '05 we were 8th in runs scored and we were 8th in OPS.

In '04 we were 11th in runs scored and we were 11 th in OPS.

The correlation between OPS and runs scored is extremely high and a national writer should know that.

The article is more of a hit piece on Girardi (and off-base at that) than anything else.

flasportsfan88

Muckdog
Reaction score
Ya, any team who scored alot of runs gets on base, and knocks in alot of runs, OPS will always be hand in hand with offensive performance. If you dont get on base and knock in runs, obviously your going to be last in the league in runs scored. Every player in the league with good Slugging PCT has alot of RBIS, if your team is getting on as well, and slugging, you'll always be the top in the league, that why OPS is the best indicater of performance. But we all know this.

prinmemito

Muckdog
Reaction score
The author is right that we don't play a lot of small ball this year compared to last year.

Out of the Past

Muckdog
Reaction score
The author is right that we don't play a lot of small ball this year compared to last year.
Stoles bases (and attempts are down), bunts are about the same (on pace for 72 compared to '78 in '06) and early inning bunts (innings 1 - 6) are up (on pace for 60 compared to 44 in '06). I hate small ball but the reason we're first in runs score is not because Fredi has reduced the use of small ball as the writer alleges. The writer is full of crap.

Beastie

Muckdog
Reaction score
Uggla doesnt bunt in the first inning anymore. :lol

prinmemito

Muckdog
Reaction score
Stoles bases (and attempts are down), bunts are about the same (on pace for 72 compared to '78 in '06) and early inning bunts (innings 1 - 6) are up (on pace for 60 compared to 44 in '06). I hate small ball but the reason we're first in runs score is not because Fredi has reduced the use of small ball as the writer alleges. The writer is full of crap.

That's not a very good analysis. You have to ask yourself who's doing the bunting. Maybe more of our guys are getting on base for the pitcher to bunt them over. When you have that information come back to us. :

Out of the Past

Muckdog
Reaction score
Prinmemito.. I could care less if you want fool yourself by believing the fantasy put forth by that writer and believe that we're scoring a lot of runs because of a reduction in small ball tactics.

prinmemito

Muckdog
Reaction score
Prinmemito.. I could care less if you want fool yourself by believing the fantasy put forth by that writer and believe that we're scoring a lot of runs because of a reduction in small ball tactics.

I am sure you could care less. :D

What I am saying is that your stats don't refute his argument because you didn't distinguish who the bunts were coming from. Not saying you're wrong, but that piece of evidence alone doesn't help your position.

bobbob1313

Muckdog
Reaction score

Nothing more to add? This seems incomplete.

MarlinsFan7

Muckdog
Reaction score
Polo...get a life man. This writer is correct, and you're probably right as well, but to put him down so you can sound like a baseball genius is pathetic. Go tell your mom to give you a hug or something.

Beinfest4Prez

Muckdog
Reaction score
Polo...get a life man. This writer is correct, and you're probably right as well, but to put him down so you can sound like a baseball genius is pathetic. Go tell your mom to give you a hug or something.
Hey, there is no need for that. :thumbdown

On my own personal observations, there have been a huge deal of sacrifice bunting from people like Fredo and the pitchers. I think Trelle alone has something near 7 or 8 sac bunts on his own this year so far.

Top Bottom