What's new

Gregg providing his leadership to the bullpen

Eddie Altamonte

Muckdog
Reaction score
http://florida.marlins.mlb.com/news/articl...amp;conteNotes: Gregg's experience an asset
04/15/2007 2:25 PM ET
By Joe Frisaro / MLB.com

ATLANTA -- With just over three years of Major League service time under his belt, Kevin Gregg is one of the few veterans in the young Marlins bullpen.
The 28-year-old right-hander, obtained from the Angels last November, is a versatile reliever who can adjust to multiple roles. He can work late in games, and he may end up getting chances to close. Another value he gives is he can pitch multiple innings and throw on successive days.

Gregg points out that experienced relievers have gone through their share of growing pains, and struggles, and they understand how to bounce back.

In a bullpen with so many young arms, Gregg's track record is a plus.

"The question [with young relievers] is, how are you going to handle the adversity?" Gregg said. "There are going to be times when the bullpen struggles. How are you going to handle the sky highs and low lows? Are you going to keep a straight line all the way through the season? That's one thing these [young] guys are going to learn through the year."

Gregg and Jorge Julio have the must experience in the Florida bullpen. The 28-year-old Julio is going through a rough time, and for now, he has been moved out of the closer spot. Gregg, Henry Owens and Taylor Tankersley are prime candidates to close, although Tankersley is being groomed more slowly since he was activated off the disabled list Friday.

"We support Julio," Gregg said. "We need him to turn things around, and get on the right path and be the pitcher he has been. He's been up and down for the last few years. He's had some really high highs and some really low lows, and he has come through it fine, I think. It's part of the learning curve for the bullpen. The bullpen is such a hard spot to try to figure stuff out, because the bullpen is about the here and now."

Shortly after he was obtained by the Marlins, Gregg had a number of conversations with the front office, manager Fredi Gonzalez and pitching coach Rick Kranitz about his role.

"I said, 'What did you bring me over here for? Am I going to be a long guy? Am I going to be a starter? Am I going to be a bullpen guy? If I'm going to be a long guy, I want to compete for a rotation spot if there are openings,'" Gregg said he asked back then. "They said, 'That's not on our radar for you. We're not going to put you in that [starting] situation. We want you to be in the back of the bullpen, seventh, eighth or ninth.' They said, 'Right now, we do not have a closer, and you could very well be the closer if you go out and throw the ball well.' "

Generally speaking, Gregg does not favor a "closer by committee."

"Closer by committee, I'm not a big fan of. I never have been," Gregg said. "It's hard to have success with it. And it's been proven by the teams that have done it. Boston tried it a couple of years ago, and that failed miserably."

Because of Julio's rough start, the Marlins essentially are using a "committee" format as Gonzalez sorts out roles. So far, the formula is working, although the team ultimately wants to settle on roles.

Fish bites: Ricky Nolasco threw off the mound on Sunday for the first time since going on the disabled list, April 7, with a sore elbow. Nolasco has thrown 1 1/3 innings this season, and he is still at least two weeks away from being activated. ... In honor of Jackie Robinson Day, Dontrelle Willis wore No. 42 on Sunday, and the D-Train was chosen to go to home plate to exchange lineup cards prior to the game. ... The league hasn't set a definitive day to make up Saturday night's rainout. They are considering playing a doubleheader when the Marlins return to Atlanta, June 4-6.

Up next: The Marlins open a two-game series at Houston on Monday night with Anibal Sanchez getting the nod. The Astros are going with left-hander Wandy Rodriguez in the 8:05 p.m. ET start.

nt_id=1900304&vkey=news_fla&fext=.jsp&c_id=fla

Iowa

Muckdog
Reaction score
Gregg looks like a wonderful addition to our pen. Its nice to have a guy who can fill a lot of roles if needed, plus provide leadership to boot.

Shamrock

Muckdog
Reaction score
Gregg has been excellent in his time so far in more ways than straight performance...looks like another good pickup from Beinfest initially.

bobbob1313

Muckdog
Reaction score
EHHH TO ALL THOSE THAT BASHED ME FOR PRAISING THIS PICKUP!!

HAHAHAHAH

Awesome.

TSwift25

Muckdog
Reaction score

:|

Hammerhead

Muckdog
Reaction score
Thanks.

EricWiener

Muckdog
Reaction score

Well timed asshat.

DcFishFan

Muckdog
Reaction score
Beware we are coming for the thrown

and will you PLEASE change your sig -- it's throne, not "thrown"

Top Bottom