What's new

Hanley Ramirez #3 most underrated player

sgleason02

Muckdog
Reaction score
Stumbled across this article from about a week ago. Shines a bit more light on the Ramirez/Reyes comparison. Apologies if this had been posted.

No. 3 -- Hanley Ramirez
We liked playing that Player A versus Player B game so much, let's try it again.

Player A is a National League shortstop. He is averaging a .303 batting average, 129 runs scored, 76 extra-base hits and 52 stolen bases per 162 games in his career.

Player B is also an NL shortstop. He's averaging .288, 114 runs, 60 extra-base hits and 61 steals per 162 games.

Player A is 23. So is Player B. So which one would you start your team with?

If I didn't tell you the names, I'm betting you'd take Player A, right? But now let's reverse that. Let's say I had never shown you those numbers. And then I asked if you'd rather have Ramirez (aka Player A) or Jose Reyes (Player B). Then what? Admit it. You'd take Reyes. Heck, to be honest, I'd probably take Reyes myself. But does anybody who doesn't own a teal cap know Ramirez's numbers are actually better? Dubious. Which sums up his underratedness just about perfectly.

Here's the link to the full article: http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/stor...&id=2882388

Jonny Ramos

Muckdog
Reaction score
uuuhhh.... well... he was 3 for 5 yesterday with a homer :mischief2

and his avg. a week ago was wayyyy above .303

TSwift25

Muckdog
Reaction score
uuuhhh.... well... he was 3 for 5 yesterday with a homer :mischief2

and his avg. a week ago was wayyyy above .303

It's career, not season.

Passion

Muckdog
Reaction score
I think that list would be better titled, "Top 10 Most Underrated Players For Those Who Don't Know Many Players"

Hanley and Youkilis are the only ones on there that should have been.

Mauer7

Muckdog
Reaction score
Until I finished reading I thought Reyes was player A.

ShaqandWade323

I think a lot of people have known Youk since Moneyball and he's gotten a lot of coverage since he's been with the Sox.

FreshFish

Muckdog
Reaction score
Reyes is a much better defensive SS than Ramirez is.

he is better because Hanley is mediocre or better because Reyes is a good/great defender?

GoMarlins2435

Muckdog
Reaction score
Until I finished reading I thought Reyes was player A.

Me too, I thought they were just going to show how close off Hanley was to him, not show his projected statline is better.

Pretty interesting. :mischief2

Top Bottom