What's new

Hermida is close

Marlins97+03WC

Muckdog
Reaction score
Jeremy Hermida, finally making real progress in his return from a knee injury, will take part in extended spring training games Friday and Saturday.

If all goes well, he'll begin a rehab assignment on Monday. His stay in the minors could last a week or two, depending on how he performs. If he swings well, he'll soon be back to act as the Marlins' primary right fielder.
Source: Marlins.mlb.com

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
lol "close"

and that's a whole lot of "ifs"

TSwift25

Muckdog
Reaction score
Hermida eager to rejoin Marlins
Injured outfielder to see game action this weekend
By Joe Frisaro / MLB.com

JUPITER, Fla. -- An encouraging first step to returning came about 10 days ago for Jeremy Hermida.

Out of action with a deep bone bruise to his right kneecap, Hermida opened the season on the disabled list. He hasn't seen game action since taking a fluke foul ball of his knee in a Grapefruit League game against the Dodgers on March 17.

About a week-and-a-half ago, his leg started to respond favorably. Now, the Marlins' 23-year-old right fielder is ready to resume playing.

Still working himself back into game shape, Hermida will take part in extended Spring Training games Friday and Saturday at the Roger Dean Stadium complex. In each game, he will get about five at-bats. On Monday, he is scheduled to play in a rehab assignment for the Class A Jupiter Hammerheads.

Hermida is wearing a protective padding on the knee, and he is getting into game condition. There still isn't a definitive timetable for Hermida's return, but he is getting closer each day.

"It feels real good," the Marietta, Ga., native said. "A week-and-a-half ago, I turned the corner. I'm getting myself ready to play."

Thursday was another day of progress.

In the morning, he hit in the batting cages, and then went on the field and was tracking live pitching. For now, he is getting his eye and timing down with the pitchers.

On Thursday, Hermida was part of a hitting group that included Alejandro De Aza, the Marlins' rookie center fielder who is on the disabled list with a right ankle sprain.

De Aza also is making progress for his return.

After getting done hitting on the field, Hermida and Minor League hitting coordinator John Mallee worked together in the batting cage.

Hermida ran the bases on Wednesday, and in a few days, he is hopeful to begin playing in the outfield.

"As soon as I was able to run and do everything, I've been doing as much as I can," Hermida said. "I'm swinging as much as I can, getting back into shape. I ran the bases [Wednesday]. I was feeling pretty close to full speed."

Staying healthy has been a concern for Hermida dating back to his 2006 rookie season. A hip flexor problem and a stress fracture to his right ankle caused him to miss substantial time. In all, the left-handed-hitting outfielder, who was the Marlins' first-round pick in 2002, played 99 games a year ago.

"It's definitely tough not being down there with the guys," Hermida said. "They're like a second family. It's definitely tough not being with them every day. You miss them. Just watching them on TV, you get to see how much fun everybody is having, you miss being out there. It's even more of a reminder to work as hard as I can here to get back out there."

When he is ready to return, Hermida plans on being able to contribute.

"You don't want to be part of the team and not be able to contribute," Hermida said. "My job is to get back there and help that team win. That's all I'm trying to do."

Joe Borchard has been getting a majority of the work in right field, and Cody Ross is seeing time at center field and right field.

Along with Hermida and De Aza, pitcher Josh Johnson is in Jupiter recovering from a biceps nerve problem. Johnson is scheduled to throw 20 pitches off the mound in a bullpen session on Tuesday.

From there, he will likely build it up to 30 pitches in a second bullpen stint on May 4. For now, he is only throwing fastballs.

Joe Frisaro is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

OldSand

Muckdog
Reaction score
This team is holding up well considering all the injuries.

Eddie Altamonte

Muckdog
Reaction score
We need a healthy Hermida back. He is still the stud prospect that we were waiting for, he will show his wares soon

Das Texan

Loria can kiss my ass
VIP
Reaction score
glad to hear his vagina is healing.

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
JUPITER ? A couple of inches either way, and Jeremy Hermida would have missed a few days, max.

That's the crazy thing about this latest injury, the one that has kept him from playing in a single Marlins game so far.

Not only has that freak mishap of March 17 created an opening for Joe Borchard to prove his merits as a potential replacement, it has added to Hermida's wholly unwanted reputation as a fragile athlete still offering more promise than production.

Hermida being Hermida, he hit that foul ball straight down into the top of his right kneecap. The impact was so severe, his kneecap jammed back into his femur and left both bones badly bruised.

It was the sort of thing you see in car accidents, not batter's boxes.

"I'm lucky I didn't crack my kneecap," Hermida says late Wednesday morning, taking a break from his lengthy rehabilitation. "What I did to it, you almost have to treat it like a break. It's the same symptoms."

OK, you can stop rubbing your knee now.

This was supposed to be Hermida's catch-up year.

This was going to be the season that he reminded everyone why he earned so much hype in the minor leagues.

He was going to be another Paul O'Neill. He was going to be better than Jeff Francoeur, his friend and rival from back home in Atlanta.

Hasn't happened ... yet.

This was going to be the summer that he stormed back from an injury-plagued 2006 and put himself back on the same plateau as Dan Uggla and Hanley Ramirez.

Maybe he couldn't make the All-Star team as a rookie or win Rookie of the Year -- that window has closed -- but certainly Hermida wanted to show his bosses they could trust him to stay healthy, to produce, to be a vital part of this impressive young core.

Hasn't happened ... yet.

"It's definitely motivation, but you can't look at what somebody else does and try to go out there and do the same thing," Hermida says. "Hanley's Hanley and Uggla's Uggla, and those guys went out and did what they did. I've got to play my game."

Little by little, he's getting closer to doing just that.

On this morning, Hermida runs the bases for the first time since banging his kneecap.

Alone on a back field, he stands in the batter's box and mimes a swing. Then he races toward first, straining through the bag to beat out an imaginary grounder.

He does this a few times. Then he rounds first a few more times on imaginary singles. Finally, he goes first to third a couple of times, each time cutting the bag hard with his right foot and bracing for a shard of pain that never comes.

He smiles and tells a trainer he's ready to play in some games. His first test, against extended spring camp competition, could come as soon as today.

It could still be a couple of weeks before he's ready to face major league arms. That means more nights spent in front of his TV watching his teammates battle through the early schedule without him.

Sometimes he gets together with Marlins pitchers Josh Johnson and Logan Kensing, also rehabbing injuries at the same complex. But most nights Hermida watches alone and tries to pretend he's in the dugout.

"It's a tough thing to do, sit back and watch the games," he says. "If we have a good game, you want to be there and high five the guys. If we have a rough game, you want to be there and just be a part of it. I wish I was out there playing."

He tries to make the best of the situation, so he pays extra close attention to the opposing pitchers, trying to pick up something new from the center-field camera shot. He's noticing patterns, angles and tics.

Mornings he works with roving hitting instructor John Mallee, who knows his swing better than anyone in the organization. Hermida has even reviewed video from his 2005 season at Double-A Carolina, when he was locked in and healthy, tweaking his swing after a 2-for-35 (.057) spring.

Most of all, he is desperate for another chance to start fresh and silence his doubters.

"This is definitely not how I would have planned for it to go," he says of his injury-marred career. "It's something that happened. Can't really dwell on it. Just have to put it behind you, learn from it and use it when you come back and play."

Whenever that may be.

sunsentinel.com

Eddie Altamonte

Muckdog
Reaction score
Great article! I know he will make a difference this year he is just too talented. as fans we need to get off his back and let him settle back in slowly. If he doesn't get 50 homeruns and hit .375 it's ok. We have been too hard on this kid way too hard!

Das Texan

Loria can kiss my ass
VIP
Reaction score
Great article! I know he will make a difference this year he is just too talented. as fans we need to get off his back and let him settle back in slowly. If he doesn't get 50 homeruns and hit .375 it's ok. We have been too hard on this kid way too hard!

he sucked last year also cause he had a hurt vagina as well, though at least that one was probably more legit than this.

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score

he sucked last year also cause he had a hurt vagina as well, though at least that one was probably more legit than this.
because it's so simple to hit a baseball when you have a hurt hip and can't turn/rotate properly

but go ahead, pile on to our best prospect just because it's the "cool" thing to do

Das Texan

Loria can kiss my ass
VIP
Reaction score

because it's so simple to hit a baseball when you have a hurt hip and can't turn/rotate properly

but go ahead, pile on to our best prospect just because it's the "cool" thing to do

then he should have been disabled.

so then he is playing hurt when he should be disabled.

and disabled when he should be playing hurt.

awesome.

and besides.

when did he hurt his hip? wasnt it in the middle of the summer? that must be why he sucked last april and may also.

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
yes, let's throw one of the best prospects in baseball under the boss for a few bad months when he was healthy, and a few terrible months while he was playing hurt

hell, why don't we just cut him

Lurker344

Muckdog
Reaction score
I hope he comes back and puts together a great season, but I keep having this terrible feeling that his going to
be a bust. Hell, I have more confidense in DeAza than Hermida.

Top Bottom