Muckdog
Reaction score
http://www.palmbeachpost.com/marlins/conte...otes_04081.html

Hermida won't be back before May
Click-2-Listen
By Joe Capozzi

Palm Beach Post Staff Writer

Sunday, April 08, 2007

MIAMI GARDENS ? Right fielder Jeremy Hermida (sore right knee) was eligible to come off the disabled list Saturday, but he's not expected to return to the Marlins until May at the earliest.

Hermida hasn't played since he fouled a ball off his right kneecap in his last at-bat on March 17 during a spring-training game.

Manager Fredi Gonzalez, who read the team's latest medical report on Hermida on Saturday, said the right fielder has been hitting off of a tee in Jupiter and getting closer to being ready to appear in minor-league rehab games.

Gonzalez wouldn't put a timetable on when Hermida would be ready to start his season with the Marlins, but he agreed it could be a few more weeks.

"He hasn't seen live pitching. He hasn't seen live batting practice,'' Gonzalez said. "He's got to prove he is healthy and prove that he is swinging the bat.''

Hermida was hitting .057 (2-for-35) with a double, seven walks and 11 strikeouts in spring before the injury. He had been looking forward to a productive season after a disappointing rookie year in 2006.

In Hermida's absence, Joe Borchard and Cody Ross are platooning in right field. They are hitting a combined 2-for-18 (.111) through five games after Borchard went 0-for-2 Saturday.

Olivo better: When the Marlins' clubhouse opened before Saturday's game, catcher Miguel Olivo was sitting in chair with his right thumb sunk in a cup of ice.

The swelling had gone down since he left Friday's game after the sixth inning, so he took batting practice Saturday. He was available to hit in Saturday's game and he hoped to start today's game.

Olivo said he jammed the thumb - the part above the first knuckle - on Phillies catcher Carlos Ruiz's cleat as he slid home in an unsuccessful attempt at an inside-the-park home run in the second inning Friday. An X-ray revealed Olivo didn't break any bones in his hand.

"It's a good thing it's not broke,'' he said. "I'm lucky I didn't hurt my whole shoulder, my whole arm.''

Matt Treanor, Florida's back-up catcher, started Saturday, Florida's fifth game of the season. Before Olivo got hurt, Gonzalez said he'd planned to start Treanor on Sunday to give Olivo a break.

"When he slid, I saw he wasn't feeling too good, so I kind of got myself ready mentally to play,'' Treanor said. "For me, going out there and being ready to play at any time is part of my job.''

Return to rotation: Right-hander Ricky Nolasco will make his first start of the season Tuesday against the Milwaukee Brewers.

Nolasco opened the season in the bullpen. He made his first appearance Friday, allowing three runs in 11/3 innings.

Double sevens: Rookie relief pitcher Henry Owens is proud that he wears number 77, the highest uniform number on the Marlins' roster.

"It's like an offensive lineman's number, huh?'' he said. "I like 7 (De Aza's number) but are there any pitchers wearing single digit numbers? It's one of those unwritten things you don't do so I just doubled it up.''

In the clubhouse Tuesday Owens watched the Giants-Padres game on TV and realized he is in good company: Giants pitcher Barry Zito wears 75.

Noteworthy: The Marlins on Friday launched Marlinsbeisbol.com, a Spanish-language Web site covering the team. Ten other teams have Spanish-language sites. ... Saturday's game was followed with a concert by American Idol favorites Nadia Turner, Mandisa, Ace Yount, Anthony Federov and Jessica Sierra.

CYmarlins

The Andy Man Can
Reaction score
thats true what Owens said, cant remember the last time i saw a pitcher with a single digit uniform number.

Top Bottom