What's new

Hermida thrown out at 3B

marlin2266

Muckdog
Reaction score
Was it a bad play?

Pro - Yes. It was a rally-killer. Should have stayed at 2B and extended the inning.

Con - No. He drew the throw to allow the run to score. He sacrificed himself for the run.

Pro - But he was almost tagged out before the run scored. Bad baserunning.

Con - He also distracted Harris, who is an inexperienced LF.

Pro - He was a dead duck at 3B. No way he makes it on a hard hit ball to LF.

Discuss.........

Madman81

Muckdog
Reaction score
Was it a bad play?

Con - No. He drew the throw to allow the run to score. He sacrificed himself for the run.

Con - He also distracted Harris, who is an inexperienced LF.

Discuss.........
No. Run was easily scoring anyways, without a throw.

No. Harris did not need to be distracted.

There is no reason to risk trying to get to third there with two outs.

TSwift25

Muckdog
Reaction score
Yes it was a rally killer BUT the thing to remember is, the left-fielder bobbled the ball. The bobble meant he had no play on Hanley at the plate and so he threw to the bag rather than the cutoff man for the plate.

Honestly, the onus is more on Porter for not telling Hermida to get down because a throw was coming that was rather unorthodox for that kind of play, I know that making a 3rd out at 3rd base is a cardinal sin, but so is not advancing to a reachable base on a throw. If he slid, he's probably safe, and for the life of me, I can't see why Porter wasn't directing him to get down...it's not as if the baserunner watches the fielders, he's just running for the base.

Mauer7

Muckdog
Reaction score
it's a cardinal sin to be thrown out at third base with two outs.

Alex22

Muckdog
Reaction score
Porter has to tell him to slide/come hard. Jeremy can't help that much, because I think if he slides he is safe.

chickenman04

Muckdog
Reaction score
It didn't really bother me, but then again we had just taken a 3 run lead. If we were down 3 runs instead, I would have been pissed.

Reaction score
bo porter sucksss.... its as if when he needs to send the runner he puts the stop sign... and when he needs to put the stop sign he sends them... he seems inexperienced or something or he has to be better at knowing the throwing arm of the fielder with the ball and the speed of the runner... but they need to do something... and a bit off topic.... but i blame the marlins bad defense as of late on the fact perry hill is gone... just a random thought.

Top Bottom