What's new

Hermida- Will be our starting RF.

Hollyberry

Muckdog
Reaction score
MIAMI -- Marlins manager Fredi Gonzalez declared on Thursday that Jeremy Hermida, rehabbing with the Class A Jupiter Hammerheads, will be his regular right fielder when he is able to rejoin the Marlins.

When Hermida will be recalled remains unknown, according to Gonzalez. But it's obvious that the Marlins are starting to get excited about having him again. In his debut for Jupiter on Wednesday, Hermida hit solo home runs in his first two at-bats, and later had a bases-loaded triple.

The triple was perhaps the most hopeful sign that he's close to a return, because of his ability to speed around the bases. He's been out since March 17, when he fouled a ball off his right kneecap. He seemed unable to run for the longest time, and the Marlins took a low-key approach, waiting for him to get completely healthy.

That time appears close, though Gonzalez declined to identify a timetable.

"We've got to wait on our people there to tell us when he's ready," Gonzalez said. "That could be any day, or it could be awhile. There's really no timetable. But when he comes up, whenever that may be, he's our right fielder. Hopefully you can pencil him in the lineup every day."

Still, Gonzalez seemed adamant in insisting that the Marlins have lost no games this season because of the 23-year-old's absence. The manager praised Cody Ross and Joe Borchard for filling in with some distinction.

Ross, however, is now on the disabled list, and Borchard is struggling with a .209 average.

Baker being promoted? With regular catcher Miguel Olivo dealing with a variety of nagging injuries and backup Matt Treanor hitting .118, don't be surprised to see hot-hitting John Baker join the Marlins soon.

Baker's name was removed from the Triple-A Albuquerque roster on Thursday, hinting at an imminent promotion.

A 26-year-old who hits left-handed, Baker is batting .352 with two home runs and 11 RBIs for Albuquerque. He also has a stolen base.

Olivo has sustained a number of finger injuries, largely from foul tips and hard-thrown pitches, but he has said it is part of the job and that he will persevere.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20...sp&c_id=mlb

LordMagnus

Muckdog
Reaction score
Kind of a no brainer. Putting a random fan from the stands in right field is an improvement over Borchard, let alone Hermida who is like 2000x the player Joe will ever be.

Bret Hart

No.1 Korean Fish Fan
Reaction score
I just want Hermida's Back.

JoBo = Crap

Out of the Past

Muckdog
Reaction score
So is Treanor getting cut or Olivo going to the DL? I hope it's Treanor. I don't like him at all. He had a good year for a backup C last year but has done nothing this year.

Bret Hart

No.1 Korean Fish Fan
Reaction score
Look at JoBo's K list

April : 23 games, 82 AB, 25K -> almost 1K per 1 game
May : 9 games, 36 AB, 17K -> almost 2K per 1 game & 1K per 2AB

JoBo is "Total K-machine"

Out of the Past

Muckdog
Reaction score
This is my Friday lineup:

Hermida
Hanley
Miguel
Hammer
Jacobs (Boone if Jacobs is a no go)
Uggla
Olivo
Fredo
Olsen

MarlinsLou

Hammerhead
Reaction score
Matt Treanor can't get off the roster fast enough. He's absolutely worthless.

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
well Baker was sent to Jamestown on the 5th....

more info on Baker...

Hoover's injury had the Isotopes down to one available catcher - Chris Ashby - because John Baker was fighting an infection in his lungs. Reliever Kenny Baugh was brought up from extended spring training, while Baker was optioned to rookie league Jamestown, N.Y., in a move to create space and to give him time to recuperate. Baker will stay in Albuquerque.
http://www.santafenewmexican.com/news/61496.html

Trey05Marlins

Muckdog
Reaction score
Great news on Hermida, he adds so much to our lineup. I'm not sure he should hit 1st or 2nd from the get-go however. For now, I would slot him at 6th when Jacobs is hitting 4th. If Boone is playing then Jeremy can hit 5th behind Hammer.

MrAndMrsFish

Mr. Minor League
Reaction score

Hermida
Hanley
Miguel
Hammer
Uggla
Olivo
Fredo
Olsen

First off there is no way Jeremy will be called up by Friday (tommorrow)....jeremy will get a few more games at A ball before moving to either carolina or albuquerque according to Fredi (who was on the radio this morning with Joe Rose)

Hammerhead

Muckdog
Reaction score
Interesting on John Baker...
But not a bad idea. I wouldn't be opposed to a call up to give Olivo some much deserved rest and to not risk further injury. Olivo's a tough guy but he's taken a beating and we're not even 40 games into the year. Baker's AAA numbers are solid and he's a pretty versatile catcher.

Give him a shot. He can't be any worse than Treanor at the dish.

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
Baker has a lung infection, the dude isn't being called up

nice detective work Frisaro.... go watch your Mets

Fiasco518

Muckdog
Reaction score
I seriously cant wait till Hermida gets up here... Is Baker the kid they got for Stokes?

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
I seriously cant wait till Hermida gets up here... Is Baker the kid they got for Stokes?
yes

Hammerhead

Muckdog
Reaction score

Yet another opinion attacked by Mr. Baseball. I should start keeping track.

Mauer7

Muckdog
Reaction score

Hermida
Hanley
Miguel
Hammer
Uggla
Olivo
Fredo
Olsen
no way is hermida hitting leadoff

bobbob1313

Muckdog
Reaction score

Yet another opinion attacked by Mr. Baseball.

Calm down.

Top Bottom