What's new

Hey MB.com

Accord

Muckdog
Reaction score
Hey MB.com, i'm going into my 4th week here at the School Of Infantry in Camp Geiger, North Carolina. My MOS is 0351 Assaultman/Demolition, basically i'll be carrying a rocket launcher and a ton of C4 explosives when I go to Iraq, oorah. The training here at SOI is top notch, every instructor is a decorated combat veteran, 90% of my instructors have at least a purple heart. Next week i'll be in the field building plywood houses and then blowing them up with C4 all week long, rock on. I graduate SOI on June 8th and will most likely be stationed at Camp Lejeune and get deployed to Iraq from there. After my first deployment to Iraq I plan to go on Marine Embassy duty.

SOI is extremely physical and my body is breaking down, but i'm getting through it. Going on 20 mile hikes with 125 pound MOLLE packs, a SMAW rocket launcher with 2 extra rockets, an M16A4 with ACOG optics, 4 canteens filled with water, ammo, MRE's, and an assload of other stuff is NOT fun. Powerbars are my saving grace.

I'll talk to you guys soon.

Semper Fi and GO MARLINS.

FishFanInPA

Good luck out there man.....carry the flag for us with pride.

juanpierre

Muckdog
Reaction score
Now the Marines, those are the guys you really want to f***.

Keep living your dream

Jiggy

Muckdog
Reaction score
Hearing about my pastor's experiences in training, it can be just as harsh or harsher mentally as it is physically.

Just hang in there man

Mabdul Doobakus

Muckdog
Reaction score
I'd like to skip all the training and go straight to blowing stuff up. Put in a good word for me. And be careful with all those explosives.

FishFan24

Muckdog
Reaction score
Good luck, stay safe and blow some sh*t up for us.

I'm serious, stay safe :usaflag

Dodge

Muckdog
Reaction score
Keep up the good work. You probably hear this enough but you are one of America's finest. We are thinking about you - take care of yourself.

MarlinFan10

Muckdog
Reaction score
Wow, Good luck. What you're doing sounds very badass and I have to say I am quite impressed.

yenta

Muckdog
Reaction score
Stay safe and don't worry about being a hero- you already are one!

Accord

Muckdog
Reaction score
This past week has been crazy. On Monday we had our phase 3 exam and then a practical applications exam on taking down and searching enemy POW's, then we went to the ISMT (indoor simulation marksmanship trainer) which is basically a million dollar video game where they put you in scenarios in places like Iraq, well we were doing shoot/don't shoot drills where basically there was a huge crowd of protesters and there would be a random gunshot in the background then the protesters would charge at us and they looked very aggressive, looked like they had weapons and were about to attack us, and then at the last second you saw that they were actually unarmed and they ran PAST you screaming scared as hell, so and we just did a lot of scenarios like that where you had to make split second decisions on what to do, it was pretty fun. This one Marine f***ed up and shot this unarmed woman and the our instructor chewed his ass out and all I remember from the ass chewing was him yelling "try explaining that one to CNN" hahaha. We've had so many classes on ethics, the law of war, etc. etc.

Then that night we hiked 15 miles with heavy ass MOLLE packs weighing in excess of 120 pounds on top of a full flak jacket, sappi plates, helmets, deuce gear, M16A4's, and since my MOS specialty is 0351 Assaultman/Demolitions I also had to carry the SMAW rocket launcher as well as 20 pounds of mock C4. Humps/hikes in the Marine Corps will break you down, and test you physically and mentally, when you go 15 miles with more than 150 pounds of weight on your body at a 4mph pace it turns into a mind f***. You will literally cry you'll be in so much pain, your cammies will be soaking wet as if you just got out of a swimming pool, but when you finish the hump it's an awesome feeling. We slept overnight in the field and then for the rest of the week we had classes for 18 hours a day on nothing but the SMAW (should fired multipurpose assault weapon) rocket launcher which fires 83mm high explosive dual purpose rockets. On Friday we had an exam on nomenclature, characteristics, ballistics on the various types of rockets we use, and all sorts of things. We've got liberty today and tomorrow and then on Monday we're going out to the K-305 range and we're going to get to shoot 5 live fire HEDP rockets out of the SMAW, one rocket costs the U.S. government $7,000 and I get to shoot 5 of them... OOOORAH. We're going to be doing day and night firing, we'll fire 3 during the day and 2 at night, it's going to be awesome. I cannot even explain how large the explosion is on these rockets, it is spectacular.

On Tuesday we begin demolitions, i've been looking over the material and a lot of the math is the same crap I learned in AP calc and AP chemistry, but to the extreme. We're going to be playing around with some awesome stuff such as C4, det cord, military grade TNT, etc. but we don't actually get to touch the stuff for 2 weeks, we have to spend 18 hours a day in a classroom first so we know what we're doing, learn all the fundamentals and all that good stuff so by the time we graduate we'll be experts in the field. We're going to make shape charges, our instructors said you're only limited by your imagination on what you can do with these explosives. There is demolitions week, breaching week, improvised explosives week where they teach us how to make powerful improvised explosives out of common things like a Folgers coffee can and make it more destructive than an M67 fragmentation grenade, then there is MOUT week where we spend a week in this mock MOUT town blowing open doors, blowing up buildings, blowing entry points in buildings like huge holes in walls, etc. You could lay det cord from the east coast to the west coast and it would split the country in half in just 13 minutes, we get to play with some insane stuff.

The U.S. government is actually PAYING ME to go to a shooting range and shooting a rocket launcher all day and blow up sh*t with C4, and I get to live my dream of being a U.S. Marine all at the same time. Life is good, haha.

For any of you guys contemplating the military regardless of the branch, I have one piece of advice: DO IT. It will be the best thing you've ever done, you'll get to do some amazing stuff, you'll make life long friends, you'll get to play with some extremely cool big boy toys, you'll serve your country and be doing something that is bigger than yourself and whether you serve 2 years under the national call to service program or retire after 30 years, you'll always be able to look back on what you did with pride and you'll carry it for the rest of your life.

I've got liberty tomorrow as well so hopefully i'll be able to get on a computer and check any responses tomorrow.

MarlinFan10

Muckdog
Reaction score
Wow, Accord, you make all of our live's seem lame. Seriously, I was only reading your post and I felt a certain level of excitement, some of the stuff you're doing sounds pretty frickin' sweet.

Continue staying safe and have fun!

Top Bottom