What's new

"Homer" rebuilding delayed, Marlins fines might be waived

SilverBullet

Marlin
Reaction score

Per the Herald, the rebuilding of Homer has not been completed even though it is now past it's original deadline of January 1st. From the original agreement to move the sculpture the Marlins are supposed to pay the county $2,000 for each day past the deadline until it's finished but one of the county deputies says he's trying to get those fines waived because the Marlins aren't at fault for the delays which came from "unexpected difficulties" converting it to outdoor use and getting it to meet certain code.

rmc523

Hammerhead
Reaction score
It's funny that they are trying to pretend it will be an "instagrammable" thing and show the picture of it close up. When in reality, they put it behind a massive 8-10 foot tall locked fence so you can't get anywhere near it or have a good view of it in pictures with a fence in front of it.

Sorry about the horrid picture, as I've been too lazy to hop out the last couple times I've driven by, but this gives you an idea of the setup:

SilverBullet

Marlin
Reaction score
I don't care for Homer now that it's out of the ballpark but rmc is so right.

SilverBullet

Marlin
Reaction score
Those fines are likely keeping cheap Jeter up at night
I know this means I'm sucking Jeter's teets but $2,000 PER DAY for construction delays that did not come out of procrastination does seem crazy.

What would those fines be for anyways? I think it was put in place to make sure Jeter didn't go back on his word to rebuild the thing and that sure isn't the case.

SonOfJack

Belligerent Homer
Reaction score
I'm confused why it needs weather proofing. Wasn't it susceptible to the elements if the roof was open? It had to have been done that way just in case the rain started out of nowhere or the roof malfunctioned.

SilverBullet

Marlin
Reaction score
I'm confused why it needs weather proofing. Wasn't it susceptible to the elements if the roof was open? It had to have been done that way just in case the rain started out of nowhere or the roof malfunctioned.
It said something about getting it up to code so maybe there's different code since outdoors it could be drenched by hours of rain as opposed to indoors when it wouldn't likely experience more than a few minutes of rain?

rmc523

Hammerhead
Reaction score
I don't care for Homer now that it's out of the ballpark but rmc is so right.
Also, I guess to be fair, when they originally planned to put it out there, there was no fence there. They installed that late last offseason. Maybe because of me! :p

Before, you were able to get right up next to the building, and would have been able to walk by this area, but as currently constructed, you won't unless they leave the gate open around 3:05 every day.

It said something about getting it up to code so maybe there's different code since outdoors it could be drenched by hours of rain as opposed to indoors when it wouldn't likely experience more than a few minutes of rain?
I was thinking the same thing as Jack, but my guess is it may have more to do with meeting hurricane/wind codes than the components themselves being weatherproof (I'm sure they already were). Perhaps it needed additional internal support structures for that, which it wouldn't have needed when it was enclosed in the park.

Das Texan

Loria can kiss my ass
VIP
Reaction score
Too bad an ‘act of God’ hasn’t taken this thing out yet.

Latest posts

Top Bottom