What's new

How did it ever happen...

Eddie Altamonte

Muckdog
Reaction score
How did the Marlins farm system become so lacking in significant outfield prospects? Hermida was the only significant outfielder in our farm system when we went through our "market correction". That is kind of mind boggling

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
because we only draft and trade for pitchers?

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
Pitchers>outfielders
fine, but it would be nice to take one OFer every now and the

Eddie Altamonte

Muckdog
Reaction score
The lack of position players plagues the whole farm system

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/base...on/marlins.html

For all the pride the Marlins take in their stockpile of pitching prospects, their lack of position prospects has become notable. That led to a .467 combined winning percentage for their six minor league affiliates last year. Only their Gulf Coast League entry managed a winning record, and even that was fairly modest (29-24).

TSwift25

Muckdog
Reaction score
Pitchers>outfielders

Winning 8-6 > Losing 1-0.

rferry

Muckdog
Reaction score
While I'd like to suggest trading Smith, Gonzalez and Choi to support the 2003-5 teams had an impact, it's really been the draft. The outfielders we've picked up are Eric Reed and Reggie Abercrombie clones. Highly specialized or highly talented, but lacking fundamental skills.

Junior

Muckdog
Reaction score
Pitchers>outfielders

Trufth, however

Winning 1-0>losing 14-12

Sirspud

Muckdog
Reaction score
While I'd like to suggest trading Smith, Gonzalez and Choi to support the 2003-5 teams had an impact, it's really been the draft. The outfielders we've picked up are Eric Reed and Reggie Abercrombie clones. Highly specialized or highly talented, but lacking fundamental skills.

We traded a few players several years ago...their loss should be affecting our farm system very little by now. I really have a hard time understanding why this FO can't hit on a position prospect every once in a while in the draft.

DelGOT2Rings

Muckdog
Reaction score
I think are main problem is that we are unwilling to part with any of our "talented" pitching prospects to bring any balance to our farm system. For example, look at how we acquired Mike Lowell from the Yanks. Lowell was being blocked by a reigning World Series MVP, and the Marlins had several prospects (most notably Ed Yarnell) that were being blocked by higher ceiling pitchers. Sure, Yarnell was one of our better pitching prospects, but we had nobody at 3rd base. At the time, it seemed like a trade that benefited everyone. Although we acquired Lowell to at least compete for the starting 3B opening, nothing was guaranteed at the time. L

Marlins Phenom

Muckdog
Reaction score
Pitchers>outfielders

Trufth, however

Winning 1-0>losing 14-12
Either,
Winning>Losing

Sirspud

Muckdog
Reaction score
I think are main problem is that we are unwilling to part with any of our "talented" pitching prospects to bring any balance to our farm system. For example, look at how we acquired Mike Lowell from the Yanks. Lowell was being blocked by a reigning World Series MVP, and the Marlins had several prospects (most notably Ed Yarnell) that were being blocked by higher ceiling pitchers. Sure, Yarnell was one of our better pitching prospects, but we had nobody at 3rd base. At the time, it seemed like a trade that benefited everyone. Although we acquired Lowell to at least compete for the starting 3B opening, nothing was guaranteed at the time. L

I would love to see our FO do those kinds of trades, because we know full well we don't have the position players to be a legitimate contender. I think the problem is that most teams know we are thick in pitching and are trying to rip us off because of it (see, Devil Rays). Once teams realize that Beinfest is sticking to what he has perhaps teams will be able to make more even trades with us, like the Vargas deal with the Mets which made sense for both parties involved.

MarlinsLou

Hammerhead
Reaction score
We traded a few players several years ago...their loss should be affecting our farm system very little by now. I really have a hard time understanding why this FO can't hit on a position prospect every once in a while in the draft.
I'm not arguing the FO isn't pitching crazy in the draft, but they did develop Hermida and Willingham.

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
but Josh was a 17th round pick...

It would be nice to use a 1st round pick on someone.... like Ellsbury :(

Eddie Altamonte

Muckdog
Reaction score
I'm not arguing the FO isn't pitching crazy in the draft, but they did develop Hermida and Willingham.
Josh wasn't an outfielder

Top Bottom