What's new

How tacky!

marlins4eva

Muckdog
Reaction score
I have no idea if this has been discussed before, but I want to put my 2 cents in on the topic. First of all, didn't we fire Billy the Marlin? So we get rid of the mascot because we don't want to pay him, and hire a bunch of cheerleaders to come to the games. Who has ever heard of cheerleaders at a baseball game? Loria and Samson, notice no other MLB teams have them, they have mascots like you are supposed to. When I attended that game, I and the people sitting next to me were in shock and embarassment that the Marlins management would do something so tacky! There are no cheerleaders in baseball! Get rid of the Mermaids and bring Billy back. Cheerleaders do not fit a baseball atmosphere. Does anyone else agree or think that this is tacky?

PS Sorry if this has been discussed; I have been away for a while.

AJBurnett34

Muckdog
Reaction score
First of all, didn't we fire Billy the Marlin?
Nope we didnt. We fired the person in the costum but we got another BIlly the Marlins that is cheaper.

I know i got your point why did we hire those cheerleaders, we could of kept the Old John Ruth (Billy thr Marlins)

1truefan

Muckdog
Reaction score
I've had this discussion before and quite frankly...I don't like them. lol Trust me, I'm so not an insecure person either as I read on another board that a man and his wife went to a game and the wife didn't like it so they called her insecure. Whatever....that's not me who they are talking about but I see where the argument is coming from.

I think it's pointless. What do they do?! Go on Billy's Boat and wave?! What the hell?! Takes away from the fun of seeing Billy get splashed by the visiting team. Oh and then in the seventh inning stretch, they just sway side-to-side trying to lead the crowd in Take Me Out to the Ballgame. Maybe if they did a dance routine or something like that then I'd be more open. Needless to say, your chances of getting a shirt, you know those which they attempt to throw into the stands, is quite small. Most shirts just land in the 1st row of the 100 level, so it you are seated in Row 7 and up, in the 200 and 400 levels, forget about getting a shirt that they throw. Now if Billy comes with his air gun, then that's a different story. Train these girls, as they are making the "you throw like a girl" theory to correct. Girls do have arms, not all, but some do...sadly these don't...all they have is silicon implants or as some MEN have told me "they are too fake, they look like Barbie dolls, too fake." Yes! That actually came from a MAN....and if you are going to ask me how many games did I go to during their debut last homestand, I went to 3...and saw the same thing all 3 days...YAWN. I actually know the guy who chose the mermaids.

As for Billy, the guy in there is an old sales guy, John DiCicco. He's doing a pretty good job. I'd say pay Bill Sr. and Betty than those mermaids...they actually do a dance routine! WOW, what a concept!

DurableTear

Muckdog
Reaction score
Marlins must be leaning more towards sex appeal than hiring an acutual manager..

Das Texan

Loria can kiss my ass
VIP
Reaction score
any pictures of these marlins mermaids....

wtf is this all about?

any pictures of these marlins mermaids....
I was actually about to ask the same thing.

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
from what I have read on another board :eek: ... most people like them and have no problem with them....

i dont really think its a big deal either way

from what I have read on another board :eek:
There are other boards? :p

Das Texan

Loria can kiss my ass
VIP
Reaction score
are the other boards chauvinistic(sp)

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
are the other boards chauvinistic(sp)
i dont think so...

there was even a girl who liked them

Das Texan

Loria can kiss my ass
VIP
Reaction score
cheerleaders do not belong in a ball yard.

period.

Hotcorner

Muckdog
Reaction score
i didn't really think much of it either way at the games. they're barely noticeable. they run around in the stands a little bit with Billy the Marlin, & they pose for some pictures. at no time have i seen them doing cheers or anything like that. i don't think they're meant to be cheerleaders, more for community relations and appearances, that kind of thing. sort of pointless, but whatever...

they probably work cheap.

1truefan

Muckdog
Reaction score
from what I have read on another board :eek: ... most people like them and have no problem with them....

i dont really think its a big deal either way
I've gotten the opposite vibe about these girls. For an organization that had to let go the other Billy and that has been threatening to cut their sales staff, it makes no sense.

Yeah Marlinsgrl in the flamarlins board. I know her. Jonnylons would be surprised. :confused .

As for a picture, I'll get one at the next game I go to. Fun Fact: One of them is related to ex-Marlin Alex Arias...

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
Frankly speaking, I think they are hot.
good to know

:)

marlins4eva

Muckdog
Reaction score
First of all, didn't we fire Billy the Marlin?
Nope we didnt. We fired the person in the costum but we got another BIlly the Marlins that is cheaper.

I know i got your point why did we hire those cheerleaders, we could of kept the Old John Ruth (Billy thr Marlins) Yeah, that's what I meant; I just realized I didn't state it right. I like the old Billy better.

I don't have a problem with cheerleaders in general, but they don't belong at baseball games. They look out of place. I realize that they are not a focal point, but for a team that cries poverty, it is funny that they would hire cheerleaders who don't do much.

Send the Mermaids to the Dolphins games. I have never heard of cheerleaders at baseball games. Marlins management needs to come up with better ways to lure people to the park.

Das Texan

Loria can kiss my ass
VIP
Reaction score
maybe they could piss off a few more future hall of famers...

Malman

Muckdog
Reaction score
Frankly speaking, I think they are hot.
...and the majority of them have very large breasts.

:w00t

Top Bottom