What's new

How will Aaron Boone do as Jacobs platoon partner?

Backin2008

Muckdog
Reaction score
He did hit .280 with 3 HRs and 13 RBIs against lefties last year. I don't think he'll give the Marlins the same kind of power that Helms did, but I think he'll definately be an improvement on defense over Helms.

Marlins2003

Muckdog
Reaction score
Hopefully we'll see more of, and from Jacobs, and consequently less from Boone than we did from Helms.

Backin2008

Muckdog
Reaction score
That won't happen unless Jacobs proves he can hit a lefty. He was a very, very weak .182 against them last season.

Iowa

Muckdog
Reaction score
That won't happen unless Jacobs proves he can hit a lefty. He was a very, very weak .182 against them last season.
I hope he starts every game. Only way he can get better is if he sees more.. especially when he saw all of 88 ABs vs. them last year. Aaron Boone is no Wes Helms.. its not like we have to find ABs for Boone like we did for Helms. He's just not the hitter Wes is. Get Jacobs his work now that hes healthy.

.148 BA, 1 HR, 6 RBI, 26 K/2 BB in 66 ABs

Reaction score
I'm with 2003. Hire a lefty to throw BP and let's see if Jacobs can put up better numbers against LHP this time.

Lurker344

Muckdog
Reaction score
I have a good feeling about Boone, I think he'll do alright.

MarlinsLou

Hammerhead
Reaction score
The Marlins are going to be carrying 2 utility infielders next year, which can only be a good thing.

Fallen Apple

Muckdog
Reaction score
"Iowa said:
"Backin2008 said:
I hope he starts every game. Only way he can get better is if he sees more.. especially when he saw all of 88 ABs vs. them last year. Aaron Boone is no Wes Helms.. its not like we have to find ABs for Boone like we did for Helms. He's just not the hitter Wes is. Get Jacobs his work now that hes healthy.

.148 BA, 1 HR, 6 RBI, 26 K/2 BB in 66 ABs

Hotcorner

Muckdog
Reaction score
The Marlins are going to be carrying 2 utility infielders next year, which can only be a good thing.
unless one of them is stuck in center field, that is...

Big_Rob

Muckdog
Reaction score
unless one of them is stuck in center field, that is...
True, and it just might happen.

Mauer7

Muckdog
Reaction score
I'm with 2003. Hire a lefty to throw BP and let's see if Jacobs can put up better numbers against LHP this time.
I'm a left-handed pitcher.. :whistle

BroncoBob27

Muckdog
Reaction score

One thing I like is that Jake has bbeen in Jupiter since early January working. He knows where his weaknesses are and apparently (from small quotes I have read) he is working on them. Off season conditioning and working on your faults is a big plus. It can only help Jake.
My bigger concern is with Jeremy. He needs to step it up big time. First bt being able to stay healthy for more than a couple weeks at a time. That is a small exaggeration but the guy hasn't been able to stay healthy at all. '06 was just a season long replay of '05.

bobbob1313

Muckdog
Reaction score
Aaron Boone Career OPS: .754
Wes Helms Career OPS: .778

Stop acting like Wes Helms had huge expectations for this year. He had a monster year that he will likely never even come close to again in his career. We honestly didn't lose that much in Wes Helms. Sure he was GREAT for us last year, but this year he'll most likely regress to his career norms, and we'll be glad we have Boone putting up almost the same numbers for 1/6th of the price.

marlinsfan75

Muckdog
Reaction score
Everyone says this but I remember Jake getting many clutch hits off of lefties. If you can't practice against them and you don't play against them enough how do you get better?

Reaction score

Stop acting like Wes Helms had huge expectations for this year. He had a monster year that he will likely never even come close to again in his career. We honestly didn't lose that much in Wes Helms. Sure he was GREAT for us last year, but this year he'll most likely regress to his career norms, and we'll be glad we have Boone putting up almost the same numbers for 1/6th of the price.

Well, it's what the Marlins always do- get big years from guys like Pudge, Benitez, Helms, Borowski, Todd Jones, etc. and let them sign for big money somewhere else. It is very smart of Beinfest. I expect Aaron Boone to hit .270, 8 HR, 46 RBI

PBCMarlinsFan

Muckdog
Reaction score

Count me in for those who are not looking forward to seeing Boone in a Marlins uniform in 2007 ? even if he is used as a platoon partner with Jacobs at 1B, which I'm not convinced the Marlins will do. The indications are the Marlins intend on using Jacobs vs LHP much more in 2007. Boone doesn't come anywhere close to equalling Helms. While Helms has been improving as his career has progressed (minus 2004), Boone has been steadily declining. You can chalk some of that up to not being overexposed and Helms will definitely regress starting regularly in 2007 (and give Phillies fans many headaches watching him botch plays at third), but I am expecting him to top his 2003 season.

Eddie Altamonte

Muckdog
Reaction score

One thing I like is that Jake has bbeen in Jupiter since early January working. He knows where his weaknesses are and apparently (from small quotes I have read) he is working on them. Off season conditioning and working on your faults is a big plus. It can only help Jake.
My bigger concern is with Jeremy. He needs to step it up big time. First bt being able to stay healthy for more than a couple weeks at a time. That is a small exaggeration but the guy hasn't been able to stay healthy at all. '06 was just a season long replay of '05.
Jake is gonna show Beinfest proud...he is seriously dedicated as much crap as he went through last seasom we never heard a peep out of him. he tried to come in everyday and give his best without excuses. it's time we get off his tail guys

Top Bottom