What's new

Hunter to be suspended from baseball for 3+ years?

Shamrock

Muckdog
Reaction score
Torii Hunter faces mandatory 3+ year suspension from baseball
Hunter?s gift of four bottles of Dom Perignon, which he had delivered to the Royals clubhouse this past weekend, was meant as a reward for the Royals sweeping the Detroit Tigers last September, allowing the Twins to come from behind to win the American League Central. The gift fulfilled a promise Hunter made last fall.

MLB?s rules are very strict and explicit (21-B):

(b) GIFT FOR DEFEATING COMPETING CLUB. Any player or person connected with a club who shall offer or give any gift or reward to a player or person connected with another club for services rendered or supposed to be or to have been rendered in defeating or attempting to defeat a competing club? shall be declared ineligible for not less than three (3) years.

espn.com

wow...talk about lame. it would be outrageous if this rule is upheld.

FreshFish

Muckdog
Reaction score
Torii Hunter faces mandatory 3+ year suspension from baseball
Hunter's gift of four bottles of Dom Perignon, which he had delivered to the Royals clubhouse this past weekend, was meant as a reward for the Royals sweeping the Detroit Tigers last September, allowing the Twins to come from behind to win the American League Central. The gift fulfilled a promise Hunter made last fall.

MLB's rules are very strict and explicit (21-B):

(b) GIFT FOR DEFEATING COMPETING CLUB. Any player or person connected with a club who shall offer or give any gift or reward to a player or person connected with another club for services rendered or supposed to be or to have been rendered in defeating or attempting to defeat a competing club? shall be declared ineligible for not less than three (3) years.

espn.com

wow...talk about lame. it would be outrageous if this rule is upheld.

it won't happend.

I read the "services rendered" clause as something out of the ordinary. The Royals just did their job (playing baseball)

I don't think Selig want Jessie Jackson and Sharpton involved in baseball either

Shamrock

Muckdog
Reaction score
Yeah, I dont think they can do this. Take an All-Star player of the field for 3+ years for a technicality? I think the Royals returned the gifts as wellto help his case.

OldSand

Muckdog
Reaction score
Well, it was unethical of him to give those gifts though.

Mauer7

Muckdog
Reaction score
not a big deal (what hunter did). MLB needs to stop making such stupid rules, just for the sake of doing so.

OldSand

Muckdog
Reaction score
How is it a stupid rule? I can agree that 3 years is much, but the rule in itself is not stupid.

markotsay7

not a big deal (what hunter did). MLB needs to stop making such stupid rules, just for the sake of doing so.
It's not like they just invented the rule. They're just enforcing it.

Iowa

Muckdog
Reaction score
The Royals actually did something good.. let them enjoy their champagne.

MarlinFan10

Muckdog
Reaction score
I'm sure he didn't know the rules. Destroying his career because of this would be blasphemy and madness. I'm sure the Twins and their fans won't allow this happen.

EndLine

Muckdog
Reaction score
3+ years? That's insane. This rule must have been implemented 80+ years ago. I would love to find out how many times this rule has been enforced.

Passion

Muckdog
Reaction score
I wonder what Pete Rose will say and/or think if Hunter gets off.
I bet on baseball?

CYmarlins

The Andy Man Can
Reaction score
i agree 3 yrs is too much but i also gotta go with Sandro on why he gave the gift anyway. i just dont see this holding up and if it does it will be greatly reduced.

MarlinFan10

Muckdog
Reaction score
Apparently the Royals didn't appreciate the gift very much if they felt they had to hit Hunter in the face with a pitch.

FutureGM

Muckdog
Reaction score
Hunter had to take the gift back, but there is no punishment expected from MLB.

PhxPhin

Muckdog
Reaction score
yeah - anyone think the royals were extra motivated or somehow influenced by 4 bottles of champagne to split over an entire clubhouse?!?!

plus they gave it back

if he gave it to the organization he may be able to skate as well as it wasn't a gift to a player

he wasn't buying wins

MVPosey

Muckdog
Reaction score
In an ironic twist, Torii Hunter was hit in the face by a pitch today against the Royals...they're probably paying him back for taking the champagne back

Top Bottom