What's new

I say "NO" on Willis call-up

Teal Shadow

Muckdog
Reaction score
I posted this on another post but I thought I'd make a new post:

Guys guys who is going to trade a starter right now this early in the season? NOBODY unless you want to get raped. The bottomline is we have to make due with what we have, I don't agree with Dontrelle Willis being call-up by the way. I know I said the Marlins should being in him up but I've had second thoughts. He's your future, I understand we need a starter badly but I don't want to destroy this kid confidence. The guy I would being up is............ RHP Doug Bochtler he's pitched in the majors and won't be a deer in the headlights if called up ala Justin Wayne. Bochtler has been the Isotopes best pitcher so far this season 2-0 (in 11 games) 23 Innings 26 H , 11 R, 21 K's 4.30 ERA. The numbers are OK but he's a vet. Why throw another rookie out there? If the Marlins want Willis up he first should pitch one or two games in Triple A at least.

another move please bring up Chad Allen already and release Gerald Williams. If not bring up another pitcher to add to that bullpen.

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
disagree....

Marlins need a spark and maybe this kid's entusiasm is the lightning in a bottle this team is looking for....

Das Texan

Loria can kiss my ass
VIP
Dasshole
Reaction score
you need a starter.....

bochtler is not that.

i would bring up judd...but he is hurt.

so damn.

MarlinsFans46

Muckdog
Reaction score
I still say Nate Bump should get an opportunity to impress before Willis does. If Kevin Olsen were pitching, I would have called him up, but unfortunately he is on the DL.

Das Texan

Loria can kiss my ass
VIP
Dasshole
Reaction score
see willis will get called up.

why?

for the same reasons wayne got called up last year.

only difference in willis' case...you could actually justify bringing him up based on his numbers in the minors.

i still promote him to triple A first and let him get a few starts there before even considering bringing up Willis.

Bringing up Willis now will be akin to hitting the panic button.

Jack1

Bochtler may not have been a starter but Albuquerque has been forced to use him as a starter.
I still say bring up Bump. I had to laugh about George & Barbara Bush being behind the plate last night in Houston. That would be something that Bump and others who have played a couple of years at Portland would be used to!!
AND that was a much much smaller stadium!

Malman

Muckdog
Reaction score
Disagree.

DW is a special talent. His time is now.

The great one's often jump directly from AA to the majors...ala Josh.

Bochtler is a journeyman.

Bump is a mid-level prospect.

Dontrelle will also add excitement. If his stuff is together...he is a joy to watch. Kind of like a Carmelo Anthony on the mound...big smile, full of energy. He is the type of pitcher you would make a special trip to the stadium to watch pitch.

:arms

DurableTear

Muckdog
Reaction score
he's a kid who can give a spark to this club :mischief

CyggyMarlin

Here For The Plan
Reaction score
I'd give DW a chance but if he struggles, I'd send him to AAA and not AA to say "Look we still believe in you, dont be discouraged.."

Also, Abe Nunez is in Jupiter on rehab - will Nunez replace Williams?

AJBurnett34

Muckdog
Reaction score
DW will get the call-up garanteed. He is ready for the Big Leagues even though he is 21. He showed us in ST what he can do and right now he is having a tremendous year at AA. He is dominating the Minors why not Bring him up to the Majors. He has very good movement on all his pitches and can be the starter or bullpen guy we need. We need to give him an opportunity.

Hotcorner

Muckdog
Reaction score
I hesitate to do it, but it sure is tempting. The kid has looked dynamite in the minors and also pitched admirably in spring training against some major league batters as well...

I would consider putting him in the rotation until Redman gets healthy. If he's struggling or just pitching so-so, send him to AAA and leave Tejera as the 5th starter. If he pitches well, they can keep him in the rotation & move Tejera back to the pen when Big Red returns.

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
from sunsentinel.com
The drumbeat is building in the Marlins clubhouse, its message growing stronger with each frustrating loss: Bring up the kid.

Double-A left-hander Dontrelle Willis could make his major league debut Friday against Colorado, and after scanning his 1.49 ERA and 4-0 record, the Marlins players aren't about to argue.

"You don't want to see a kid rushed, but he has the stuff to compete up here and he's a fighter," first baseman Derrek Lee said. "I wouldn't disagree with that call. He brings a lot of energy and enthusiasm to the game."

Like Lee, closer Braden Looper was impressed with Willis in spring, when he posted a 3.27 ERA in five outings.

"There's been a lot of talk in here, `Does he have enough innings?'" Looper said. "All I know is he's pitched well when he's pitched. He's dealing. I hope he deals here the way he is in Double-A."

At least as important as Willis' repertoire is his personality.

"You have to like a kid like that," Looper said. "Great attitude, light-hearted guy, easy to get along with. He'd be a welcome addition. He's got a smile on his face all the time. He's fun to be around."

Looper, however, cautioned against expecting too much too soon from a 21-year-old with six pro outings above Class A.

"You can't ask the kid to be Randy Johnson," Looper said. "If he does get called up, it sounds like he deserves it and he would be a good addition. If he can just give us five or six strong innings, that's what you want.

"You don't want to go too deep with him and have his confidence go the other way. But if you can get five or six strong innings, the next time maybe he can go seven. Get his confidence going."

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
even the players are becoming a little more upbeat.....

we really have no choice but to bring him up

minus

Muckdog
Reaction score
BRING HIM UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Exactly!!!! :hat

MarlinsFan

Muckdog
Reaction score
I saw Willis throw this spring and he is very good. i like him, the marlins need to make him a part of the marlins as soon as possible.

he coudl be better than anyone on the staff if they let him throw.

well except maybe beckett. i wish i could throw that fast. it must be kewl to throw fast like that.

Top Bottom