What's new

I think I miss Preston!

Fish Fillet

Muckdog
Reaction score
P. Dub went 2 for 3 tonite with another dinger. Even though I couldn't stand him when he had gills, I think I miss him now.

Yeah, he strikes out more than a fat kid looking for a date, but his stats (.295, 13HR, 50RBI) are damn impressive.

And no, it's not the whole Coors altitude thing. His prodution is just about equal when you look at his road splits in major offensive categories. Is it possible that with all of his personal problems past him he's good to go now? :mischief2

Maybe his strikeouts wouldn't of got as much attention if they were embedded in this year's lineup? :mischief2

Dunno, maybe someone slipped me some crack tonite and I'll come back to my senses tomorrow. :blink:

Jrod1

Muckdog
Reaction score
P. Dub went 2 for 3 tonite with another dinger. Even though I couldn't stand him when he had gills, I think I miss him now.

Yeah, he strikes out more than a fat kid looking for a date, but his stats (.295, 13HR, 50RBI) are damn impressive.

And no, it's not the whole Coors altitude thing. His prodution is just about equal when you look at his road splits in major offensive categories. Is it possible that with all of his personal problems past him he's good to go now? :mischief2

Maybe his strikeouts wouldn't of got as much attention if they were embedded in this year's lineup? :mischief2

Dunno, maybe someone slipped me some crack tonite and I'll come back to my senses tomorrow. :blink:
i dont miss him. we now have pierre who might not have the power, but the double lead off hitters has worked out very much so far.

preston strikes out 180 times a year
pierre no more than 60 a year

and the times that pierre doesnt get a hit he will put the ball in play which moves runners over, bings runners in, or alot of times groundballs to the left side of the diamond are infield hits. and a those times when we would need tohse scenarios to happen preston would just simply strike out. pierre has for more productive outs than preston (excluding sac flys) nand pierre is a great bunter

the only thing i miss from preston is defense.

and not to take anything away from pierre he plays above average defense.

its just that preston plays gold-glove defense

but pierre gets helped out by todd and encar, with balls that are hit in the gap. todd and encar both play great defense.

the only thing that i miss from preston is the balls he could get near the bermuda triangle by the 434 sign) and his arm

other than those two reasons that i just gave you, i am extremely happy with what pierre has done.

and preston was going to make a lot of money these next couple of years. in wilson's last year in his current contract he will get paid 12 million dollars.

by signing him to a long deal like that, it is obvious that the marlins had plans of moving him.

AJBurnett34

Muckdog
Reaction score
I miss him to but i rather have Pierre on my team. Preston wasnt too comftable here and in Coors he is. We have enough power hitters (Encarnacion, Lowell, Lee). We dont need more. Preston is having a tremendous year but we dont need him at this point we got enough production with Pierre/Lowell

Fish Fillet

Muckdog
Reaction score
Yeah, we have some power still in the lineup, but Pierre better than Wilson??

Wilson will have 70 more RBI and 35-45 more HR. Somehow the ability to bunt just doesn't compare.

AJBurnett34

Muckdog
Reaction score
Yeah, we have some power still in the lineup, but Pierre better than Wilson??

Wilson will have 70 more RBI and 35-45 more HR. Somehow the ability to bunt just doesn't compare.
We need Pierre more than wilson. We needed speed at the top if the lineup. Preston is doing good but i will garantee you by the end of the season he will be batting .260 will 100+ K's...

Das Texan

Loria can kiss my ass
VIP
Reaction score
i dont miss preston.

Wild Card

Muckdog
Reaction score
We have enough power hitters (Encarnacion, Lowell, Lee).
Where's my Nomar inpersonator!? :eek: :p

Hotcorner

Muckdog
Reaction score
AJ don't be ridiculous. No one needs speed more than what Preston Wilson is doing right now.

Maybe Preston felt like he had to be "The Man" here and in Colorado he can just sit back with all those other power hitters and not feel any pressure. I wish I knew. It also doesn't hurt when you've got Todd Helton and Admin Walker hitting around you.

Preston will make over 27 million during the next 3 years. When he put up these stats in 2000 that seemed like a decent investment.

.264 with 31 homers, 121 RBI and 36 stolen bases

Unfortunately CJ was also due to make 25 million over those same next 3 years, and it took Preston to seal the deal. Plus since Wilson hadn't reached those numbers since, it made it a little easier.

Wild Card

Muckdog
Reaction score
Or, in Colorado:

38 homers, 137 RBI and 31 stolen bases

AJBurnett34

Muckdog
Reaction score
He put up those numbers only one season. Anyways what kind of AVG. Is .264! Thats like D.Lee's Avg.

I like Preston but he has a very low Batting average every year!

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
oh and Preston doesnt play GG defense

he makes the wrong jumps at the ball constantly.... because of his speed, he can make up for the miscues, but i dont think he is that wonderful on D

Wild Card

Muckdog
Reaction score
He put up those numbers only one season.
I give props to anyone who can ever put up those numbers, none the less for a guy on a losing team that plays in the most spacious stadium in baseball, and is expected to be their offensive savior for years to come.

In Colorado, he is on an above average team, in the best hitters park in baseball, and is the third best hitter there. Can you say less pressure!?

Marlins Bandit

Muckdog
Reaction score
oh and Preston doesnt play GG defense

he makes the wrong jumps at the ball constantly.... because of his speed, he can make up for the miscues, but i dont think he is that wonderful on D
In all fairness, Juan Pierre does not play GG defense either. Actually no CF does in the NL since Adruw is a lock to win it ever year. :rolleyes:

But really, he is no worse than Pierre, in my opion, defensively. What he lacks in ball judgement he makes up in arm strength. I am not saying he has a cannon, but compared to Pierre's bebe gun out there in CF, Preston has a rocket.

Wild Card

Muckdog
Reaction score
Actually no CF does in the NL since Adruw is a lock to win it ever year. :rolleyes:
Although you may be right, Edmunds won it last year...

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
and i agree Bandit, Pierre and Wilson are very similar defensively except for the arm.... I think Pierre takes better routs to the ball, imo

Fish Fillet

Muckdog
Reaction score
Does anyone know offhand what P. Dub's contract situation looked like when we sent him to CO? Was it a factor? I can't remember.

In retrospect this is looking more and more like its going to turn into a "whoopsie" trade on the Marlins end.

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
Does anyone know offhand what P. Dub's contract situation looked like when we sent him to CO? Was it a factor? I can't remember.

In retrospect this is looking more and more like its going to turn into a "whoopsie" trade on the Marlins end.
Preston Wilson OF COL Signed Mar 2001 - 5 years/$32M
2001: $1.0M
2002: $3.5M
2003: $6.5M
2004: $9.0M
2005: $12.0M
Charles Johnson C COL Signed Dec 2000 - 5 years/$35M
2001: $5.0M
2002: $5.0M
2003: $7.0M
2004: $9.0M
2005: $9.0M
-Includes complete no-trade clause between 2001 and 2004
-If traded 2005 salary rises to $10.0M

Marlins Bandit

Muckdog
Reaction score
Actually no CF does in the NL since Adruw is a lock to win it ever year. :rolleyes:
Although you may be right, Edmunds won it last year... Edmonds only won it because they switched the format from a LF, CF and RF to just 3 OFers. Jones won a GG too last year and will every year he is healthy basically.

Top Bottom