What's new

I would hate to be the doctor who had to this guy the bad news

Bradcore

Captain Awesome
Reaction score
California man sues veterans' hospital for removing wrong testicle
Thu Apr 5, 12:07 AM

LOS ANGELES (AP) - A U.S. air force veteran has filed a federal claim after an operation at a Veterans Administration hospital in which a healthy testicle was removed instead of a potentially cancerous one.

Benjamin Houghton, 47, was to have had his left testicle removed June 14 at the West Los Angeles VA Medical Center because there was a chance it could harbour cancer cells. It also was atrophied and painful.

But doctors mistakenly removed the right testicle, medical records and the claim, which seeks US$200,000 for future care and unspecified damages, show. He still hasn't had the other testicle removed.

"At first I thought it was a joke," Houghton told the Los Angeles Times newspaper.

"Then I was shocked. I told themL 'What do I do now?"'

Houghton, his wife, Monica, and their lawyer, Dr. Susan Friery, said they hoped to get the VA's attention by going public with the situation.

Dr. Dean Norman, chief of staff for the Greater Los Angeles VA system, has formally apologized to Houghton and his wife.

"We are making every attempt that we can to care for Mr. Houghton but it's in litigation and that's all we can tell you," he said.

The hospital changed practices as a result of the case, he added.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/070405/...botched_surgery

FlummoxedLummox

That is such a tremendous f***up, I don't know what to say. He should receive whatever he asks for in damages.

FishFanInPA

What if the cancer spreads because of all this time their wasting trying to get rid of it?

Fallen Apple

Muckdog
Reaction score
Is it me or did anyone else felt a little pain when they read "removing wrong testicle"

Bradcore

Captain Awesome
Reaction score
Is it me or did anyone else felt a little pain when they read "removing wrong testicle"

No man. I think we all felt it.

Accord

Muckdog
Reaction score
See, we may get free medical in the military, but like all things in life, you get what you pay for. I plan on getting LASIK eye surgery sometime in the next year or so and you can be guaranteed that i'm going to go to a top notch civilian doctor and pay out of my own pocket for it, no way i'm letting a military doc near my eyes with a friggen laser.

JJ24

Muckdog
Reaction score
Good choice Accord after You wouldnt want the doctor to mix up laser eye surgery with Laser eye shooter. civilian is probally the way to go

CapeFish

Muckdog
Reaction score
I hope he and his wife had their kids already. That sucks.

Top Bottom