What's new

In the "you can never have too much pitching" Dept...

Marlins2003

Muckdog
Reaction score
Serrano inks deal with Marlins

By ALLEN GEMAEHLICH The Daily Sentinel
Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Jimmy Serrano is back.

The 1994 Central High School graduate, who played last season in the Korean Professional Baseball League, signed a contract with the Florida Marlins last week and is invited to spring training next month, according to the Marlins Web site.

The Marlins are Serrano?s sixth Major League Baseball franchise in 10 years.

Serrano, 30, was unavailable for comment.

The 5-foot-10 right-handed pitcher was drafted by the Montreal Expos in 1998. He remained in the Expos? farm system until 2003, when he was traded to the Kansas City Royals.

Serrano, who didn?t pitch until college, made his Major League debut with the Kansas City Royals on Aug. 7, 2004. He gave up four earned runs on seven hits with three walks and three strikeouts in the start against the Anaheim Angels in Kansas City.

By the end of the season, he moved to the bullpen and picked up his only big league victory ? Sept. 7 at Detroit ? with three innings of relief.

Serrano finished his 2004 big-league stint 1-2 with a 4.68 ERA. He had 12 walks and 25 strikeouts in 322/3 innings of work.

He signed with the Oakland Athletics next season, but began it with their Class AAA affiliate, the Sacramento River Cats. There, he posted strong numbers, 8-3, 3.91 ERA in 16 appearances ? all starts.

By midseason, he hadn?t been called up, so as agreed upon in his contract, he requested a trade and was sent to the Cincinnati Reds.

The Reds never called him up either, despite going 4-4 with a 3.75 ERA in 12 appearances ? all starts for the Class AAA Louisville Bats.

After the 2005 season, he became a free agent and drew interest from several teams, including the Colorado Rockies, but Serrano decided to sign with the Red Sox.

He was 4-5 with a 2.50 ERA for Boston?s Class AAA affiliate in Pawtucket. He started 11 of the 13 games he pitched, allowing 20 earned runs on 72 hits, 26 walks with 61 strikeouts in 72 innings of work.

Serrano was born and raised in Grand Junction. He played in the Grand Mesa Little League and was a third baseman for Central High School.

http://www.gjsentinel.com/sports/content/s...errano_WWW.html

I don't think this was already posted. If I have a chance I'll see what's out there on the guy.

Marlins2003

Muckdog
Reaction score
A few things I've picked up - I'll add to this post as I find stuff, but...

* At one point Serrano lost four starts in a row to shut-outs.

*from the PawSox game summary June 13th : "...In other PawSox moves, the club released 3B Rodney Nye (.237 in 43 games) after last night?s game. The Red Sox also granted RHP Jimmy Serrano his release so he could sign with a professional team in Korea. Serrano had been brilliant for the PawSox of late (1 ER in his last 39.2 IP) and was 4-5 with a 2.50 ERA in 13 games (11 starts) on the year (the 6th best ERA in the league)."

Lane1974

Muckdog
Reaction score
my first thought on seeing the subtitle

"Hats for bats...keep bats warm"

yandro

Muckdog
Reaction score

Heck yea!!! JOBU!!! That's what the Fish need :cool

Fishfan79

Muckdog
Reaction score

" You have no, Marbles!"

JonDigital

Muckdog
Reaction score

Same. I was considering getting some KFC. :notworthy

Wild Card

Muckdog
Reaction score
Is very bad to take JoBu's rum.

Very bad.

"f*** JoBu..."

*Takes Shot*

*Walks to field*

Other players: "WATCH OUT!"

"Huh?"

*Bat smacks head"

Hahahahaha. Favorite movie of All-Time.

But seriously, Serrano seems like one of those players that always performed well, but some how slipped through the cracks. I actually have a really good feeling about this signing, and I bet he spends at least three months with the Marlins this season.

FishFan24

Muckdog
Reaction score
"Bats, they are sick. I cannot hit curveball. Straightball I hit it very much. Curveball, bats are afraid. I ask Jobu to come, take fear from bats. I offer him cigar, rum. He will come."

:cool

The_Punisher

Muckdog
Reaction score
Apparently it has become easier for this team to fix this bullpen, and I am all for it. As for a centerfielder, we'll get one during the season, you'll see!

Top Bottom