What's new

Inside Dish: Ken Rosenthal

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
c/o thesportingnews.com
The Padres, continuing to reassess their 2004 priorities, plan to pursue a second baseman with speed, a move that would give them the option of making Ramon Vazquez a super-utilityman when Class AAA shortstop Khalil Greene is ready for the majors. Marlins second baseman Luis Castillo, a free agent after this season, fits the Padres' profile; the team could trade for him and then attempt to sign him long-term, collecting draft picks if he departs. Greene recently jumped from Class AA to AAA, and his impressive play has convinced the club to abandon its plans to add a high-profile shortstop.

The Marlins eventually figure to trade Castillo, Mike Lowell and others, but they've contacted at least one club in search of veteran outfield help, indicating that they have yet to concede. As usual, the Fish are taking a curious approach; they've won five of their past seven series, but they entered Tuesday night's play at 34-38, 8 1/2 games back in the wild-card race. ...

CapeFish

Muckdog
Reaction score
Interesting. I would like to know their health records and histories.

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
you know what?

why not just go after Klesko for LF instead of Rondell White?

Ryan Klesko 1B/OF SDG Signed May 2000 - 3 years/$18.75M
2002: $6.0M
2003: $6.25M
2004: $6.5M
2005-6: Two-year extension for around $16.5M signed May 2002

Rondell White OF SDG Signed Dec 2001 - 2 years/$10M
2002: $4.0M (+$1.0M signing bonus paid in 2004)
2003: $5.0M
2004: Free Agent

how about a Ramon Vazquez(making $350,000) and Klesko for Todd Hollandsworth, Ramon Castro, Luis Castillo, and Abe Nunez?

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
who are you talking about?

CapeFish

Muckdog
Reaction score
That sounds doable. Admin could pull it of. The only issue I see is that the Pads have used Klesko as their franchise player, would thye trade him? I heard the Yankees were interested in him but couldn;t offer the talent to get him.

JMLinkinPark

Muckdog
Reaction score
Klesko Also Knows 1b so if we ever sit D. Lee. Banks or Klesko can Play there or in LF.

CapeFish

Muckdog
Reaction score
Klesko is a very versatile player. Can play OF and 1B and hit anywhere in the lineup you need him to.

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
That sounds doable. Admin could pull it of. The only issue I see is that the Pads have used Klesko as their franchise player, would thye trade him? I heard the Yankees were interested in him but couldn;t offer the talent to get him.
Yanks dont have the talent we do....

if the Pads really want Castillo, we should do it....

CapeFish

Muckdog
Reaction score
who are you talking about? I would like to know the medical history of all the players involved in a possible deal.

I know Klesko just came back from injury not long ago

SportsCenter

Muckdog
Reaction score
Trade

Marlins get : Klesko & White

Padres get : Castillo , Worthless , Nunez , Castro , & Player to be name later

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
we dont need both White and Klesko.... too much money and makes no sense...

Castillo, TH, Nunez, Castro for Klesko and Vazquez may be do-able

CapeFish

Muckdog
Reaction score
Ramp, simply Yes i want their X-Rays and other records. It is vital we know everything, the Pads have too many injuries, I don't trust thier health practices.

SportsCenter

Muckdog
Reaction score
we dont need both White and Klesko.... too much money and makes no sense...

Castillo, TH, Nunez, Castro for Klesko and Vazquez may be do-able
y not then we trade White for someone else

CapeFish

Muckdog
Reaction score
White is not as good as a fit as Klesko. Klesko has pop and can play OF and 1B. He also is healthy most of the time.

dak11

Muckdog
Reaction score
Klesko's also quoted as saying he'll rescind his no trade clause if the Padres try to move him off of 1B - so I doubt he'll be willing to go somewhere else and play LF.

He also has a no trade clause so he can decide which teams he'll go to. Doubtful that a veteran like Klesko would go to a team who are constantly trading off good players because of salary budgets.

CapeFish

Muckdog
Reaction score
Forget it, he will not leave San diego if he has a no trade clause. The Padres are a secure franchise- new ballpark, good tv money, willing to spend money on players, rebuilding for future, good city to play in. He will stay where he is most likely.

Hotcorner

Muckdog
Reaction score
Anyhow to answer your question, Klesko has not missed any significant playing time during the past 3 seasons. Games played: 145, 146, 146.

CapeFish

Muckdog
Reaction score
That's good, if he would come over we are waiting for him with a welcome wagon! LOL :D

Top Bottom