What's new

Is it me or is De Aza....

Hollyberry

Muckdog
Reaction score
Luis Castillo's clone (I am not talking about De Aza's potential)?

I swear, when I watched De Aza bat I felt like I was watching Luis Castillo bat. They both have the same batting stance, they both are slap hitters - Everything about him was Castillo like. Anyone notice?

MarlinFan10

Muckdog
Reaction score
I would certainly hope so, but Castillo was a perennial all-star when he was with the Marlins and I doubt we see another Castillo anytime soon.

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
nope, not really

and I'm sure his eye is nowhere near what Louie's was

CYmarlins

The Andy Man Can
Reaction score
kinda has a little bit of his style, but louie is louie.

PBCMarlinsFan

Muckdog
Reaction score

I swear, when I watched De Aza bat I felt like I was watching Luis Castillo bat. They both have the same batting stance, they both are slap hitters - Everything about him was Castillo like. Anyone notice?

Are we talking early years Luis or later? Really, it is way too early to compare de Aza to Luis. As far as at the plate, the obvious difference is the lack of switch hitting ability. Plus lets not forget that bit of power Luis had from the right side of the plate. I do like the approach de Aza is taking to his at bats early on and he looks smooth fielding balls in center.

Hollyberry

Muckdog
Reaction score

Are we talking early years Luis or later? Really, it is way too early to compare de Aza to Luis. As far as at the plate, the obvious difference is the lack of switch hitting ability. Plus lets not forget that bit of power Luis had from the right side of the plate. I do like the approach de Aza is taking to his at bats early on and he looks smooth fielding balls in center.
Well, I am mostly talking about looks wise (batting stance, slap hitter). I was not getting into production yet ;) .

Lane1974

Muckdog
Reaction score
is it me, or are threads that have suspenseful titles with elipses and disappointing punchlines really annoying?

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
is it just me or does ramp not really like de aza?
I like him alot

PBCMarlinsFan

Muckdog
Reaction score

Well, I am mostly talking about looks wise (batting stance, slap hitter). I was not getting into production yet ;) .

His stance is somewhat similar to Luis when he was hitting as a lefty. Luis' stance like you know was alot different batting righty. Alejandro's at bat against the King was encouraging tonight. If he has more solid at bats like that against lefties, the whole CF platoon idea may be scrapped which may not be a bad thing.

Marlins2003

Muckdog
Reaction score
It's late and I'm not going to go do a web search to confirm but it seems to me when Castillo came up he was nowhere near the hitter he blossomed into years later. In fact, if I remember correctly he was sent down not once BUT TWICE after hitting in the mid-200s.

Someone wanna check, but I think I'm pretty close.

That said I am NOT making any comparison, in fact I don't see much if any physical similarities between the two in their approaches to hitting. But who knows what could happen. I think we need to see him in 25-30 games minimum to have any idea how he's going to do.

Hollyberry

Muckdog
Reaction score
Yeah...sorry but this is a dumb thread. Not even close.
I don't know but my mom and dad guessed it on the first try. I asked "Who does De Aza look like?" (Batting) and they both replied "Luis". It's because you guys havent "watched" him yet.

Mephisto

Muckdog
Reaction score

yea i posted this same thing in the other De Aza thread. Just the way he stands at the plate and steps out after every pitch to take the sign. Kinda cool, and from what I've heard he's a guy that will steal bases but is not the fastest guy, but gets great jumps kind of like Luis.

Hollyberry

Muckdog
Reaction score

yea i posted this same thing in the other De Aza thread. Just the way he stands at the plate and steps out after every pitch to take the sign. Kinda cool.
Finally, I am not the only one ;) .

pierremvp1

Muckdog
Reaction score
There is some similarity. You can mix in a little Juan Pierre as well. But you're not imagining anything. It's a good observation.

TSwift25

Muckdog
Reaction score
Isn't it a little early for the comparisons, to anything, for De Aza?

I hope he succeeds, I really do, but I think it'll be incredible if he can manage to hit above .260 this year...so let's calm down with all the rookie of the year thoughts and the comparisons to some of our franchise's all-timers.

Mephisto

Muckdog
Reaction score
Isn't it a little early for the comparisons, to anything, for De Aza?

I hope he succeeds, I really do, but I think it'll be incredible if he can manage to hit above .260 this year...so let's calm down with all the rookie of the year thoughts and the comparisons to some of our franchise's all-timers.
we just talking about his approach/style at the plate which is very similar to that of Castillo's.

Top Bottom