What's new

Is this a possible stadium senario...

Stevefish85

Muckdog
Reaction score
Could they do this? Say if by Jan. no deal I personally believe MLB loves the South Fl. market but knows it needs time to grow (after 2 firesales). Any chance they force a sale to an owner with deep pockets?

The_Godfather

Muckdog
Reaction score
Would be a dream come true. No more Samson and Loria? That would be so awesome.

Wild Card

Muckdog
Reaction score
I have no problem with Loria, he genuinely loves the game. BUT, he doesn't have the money to run a professional franchise, period.

Real_Teal

Muckdog
Reaction score
Loria ran the Expos into the ground. As a result, MLB had to take them over and relocate them. Then they turn around and give him a second chance to possibly ruin another franchise.

Eddie Altamonte

Muckdog
Reaction score
Could they do this? Say if by Jan. no deal I personally believe MLB loves the South Fl. market but knows it needs time to grow (after 2 firesales). Any chance they force a sale to an owner with deep pockets?
That would be my wildest dream. You think the Arison family might be interested in another sports franchise?

Marlins2003

Muckdog
Reaction score
Loria ran the Expos into the ground. As a result, MLB had to take them over and relocate them. Then they turn around and give him a second chance to possibly ruin another franchise.

Factually, you couldn't be more wrong. Both arbitration panels and the courts found for Loria and against the previous ownership group in Montreal who were the real culprits in the demise of the Expos. When their plan to bring Loria in as a fallguy blew up in their collective faces and they lost control, their actions a domino effectthat led to the saleof the franchise.

And on the field he didn'truin the franchise either. If you were to actually go and look at the number of players lost to free agency, or significant players who were traded, the numbers are exceeding low. It's wasn't that Minaya was was installed to run baseball operations that all the players left. It's a fantasy that it happened under Loria's watch.

You can dislike the guy just because you do, that's fair game, you're entitled. But the die was setlong before he got there and the facts prove that out.

Fishfan79

Muckdog
Reaction score
Micky Arison "Miami Heat and Florida Marlins ownership"

Sounds good to me, build right next to the American Airlines Arena on the bay there.

"Stay White Miami"

anotherrealfan

Muckdog
Reaction score

And on the field he didn'truin the franchise either. If you were to actually go and look at the number of players lost to free agency, or significant players who were traded, the numbers are exceeding low. It's wasn't that Minaya was was installed to run baseball operations that all the players left. It's a fantasy that it happened under Loria's watch.

Maybe it is all not Loria's fault, but he is certainly not an innocent fall guy either. This is not a reply to argue the merit or ability of Loria to own a team but the last fire sale here was not because of Omar Minaya. I do not misunderstand-I know the Minaya reference is for Montreal. So whether it had to be done in the manner it was done or not, the Marlins fire sale was under his watch.

marlin2266

Muckdog
Reaction score
For anybody who has access, yesterday the WSJ ran an article about one of the most hated owners in sports - Bill Wirtz of the Chicago BlackHawks. He is mega-rich and still pinches pennies with the BHawks.

As an aside, in the article it mentions that only one owner ranks below Wirtz - our own Jeffrey Loria.

Not that I agree - just sayin'...........

Marlins2003

Muckdog
Reaction score
So whether it had to be done in the manner it was done or not, the Marlins fire sale was under his watch.

Oh, yeah, I agree, 2005-2006 was on Loria's watch.

And btw, my apologies for the sloppy writing in my previous post. I have to stop trying to do three things at once. :banghead

Eddie Altamonte

Muckdog
Reaction score
Anyone know Loria's networth.. Micky Arison and family is estimated in 3.5 billion. I know Loria can't match that in any remote way

Top Bottom