What's new

Its going to be interesting to see how this team handles...

Iowa

Muckdog
Reaction score
...the early season obstacles being thrown at them, with Hermida, JJ, Tank and Nolasco out... Willy and Hanley aching... and of course, dealing with Julio as the closer (how long can we realistically think that experiment can last?)

Anyway, we get through these first two months with our head above water, we're going to be looking good. Will really show what these guys are made of... and so far, they're responding as if its not a problem. Gotta love these kids.

And we're off to a great start.. considering we've already matched our win total from the first month of last year.

fanofthefish

Marlins Historian
Reaction score
If they can get through the first few months with just these injuries and continue to stay healthy as they get back bodies they should be in great shape, especially as this gives players more rest. The main thing is the rest of the team needs to stay healthy.

Reaction score
I have a feeling tonight won't be pleasant (and I'm not being a downer).
It will be a tougher game than it should beI wouldn't be so worried about our streak vs the Brewers ending.

I expect VandenHurk to be bombed on, no doubt. Buuutt, they aren't exactly trotting out an ace on the other side either. Assuming Vargas doesn't come out and pitch the game of his life (a la Heilman in 05 when he pitched a CG SO on us), we shouldn't be that hard pressed to score runs. And worst comes to worse, you have Gardner clean the bases for VandenHurk and then give Gregg a couple of innings.

catchoftheday

Muckdog
Reaction score
Watch Vandenhurk pitch our first complete game shutout of the season.

atta boy, thats the spirit

:thumbup

Floridalion

Muckdog
Reaction score

That would be awesome!!!!!

prinmemito

Muckdog
Reaction score

yes you are

DelGOT2Rings

Muckdog
Reaction score

That would be awesome!!!!!
Could you imagine if Vandenhurk dazzles? This is what I loved about last year...the possibilities. This year everyone is expecting greatness.

Reaction score
I'd be ecstatic if he matched Anibal's debut w/ 6 SO innings. I can't imagine him not having a pitch limit that would prohibit him from pitching a full 9.

Hammerhead

Muckdog
Reaction score

yes you are
Don't turn into someone else (I won't mention the name).

You can't blame him for thinking that. I was at the ST game he pitched. He has decent velocity but he was virtually all over the place. He allowed three runs in four innings. This is a very hard spot to get your first start in, especially against a good lineup like this one.

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score

yes you are

You can't blame him for thinking that. I was at the ST game he pitched. He has decent velocity but he was virtually all over the place. He allowed three runs in four innings. This is a very hard spot to get your first start in, especially against a good lineup like this one.
He has awesome velocity. Mid 90s stuff, occasionally hitting 97-98.

This is the perfect lineup for him to face, for they swing and miss an awful lot

Jimmy42Jack0

Muckdog
Reaction score

yes you are

its spring training for a reason...as long as he can keep the walks down...he should be fine

Hammerhead

Muckdog
Reaction score

yes you are

This is the perfect lineup for him to face, for they swing and miss an awful lot
Granted that they K a lot, this lineup has arguably the most muscle in the NL. Its definitely a tough lineup to get your first start against.

yes you are

its spring training for a reason...as long as he can keep the walks down...he should be fine
So a pitcher that virtually had no chance of making the bullpen only because he didn't get a lot of shots and his only shot came very late in the spring means that he wasn't going out there with everything he had trying to make an impression? In his mind, it wasn't ST.

Jimmy42Jack0

Muckdog
Reaction score

yes you are

Granted that they K a lot, this lineup has arguably the most muscle in the NL. Its definitely a tough lineup to get your first start against.

yes you are

So a pitcher that virtually had no chance of making the bullpen only because he didn't get a lot of shots and his only shot came very late in the spring means that he wasn't going out there with everything he had trying to make an impression? In his mind, it wasn't ST.
from having a long talk with my cousin about player placement, i can safely assume that most guys have a pretty good idea of where they will be placed within the organization...spring training was not a try out for the marlins for vanden hurk...it was an oppurtunity for gonzalez, kranitz and etc. to see what he had...he obviously impressed them enough with his pure stuff to get a chance at the show...so with all that said...with it being early in the year(and pitching is generally in front of hitting) and the fact that the brewers probably have a very slim scouting report on him...if he can throw strikes tonight, then he will be fine

Top Bottom