What's new

It's Official...

AJBurnett34

Muckdog
Reaction score
Penny is suspended 5 games for sure. It is official! Well, now Its up to Beckett to open up the year and try and get a win...

Source:Link

It's official: Penny out for 5 games
Baseball upholds pitcher's suspension
BY CLARK SPENCER
cspencer@herald.com

[OUT: Marlins pitcher Brad Penny's appeal of his five-game suspension has been denied.]OUT: Marlins pitcher Brad Penny's appeal of his five-game suspension has been denied.

JUPITER - Upon learning Vladimir Guerrero's suspension had been reduced from three games to two, Marlins pitcher Brad Penny was hoping for similar treatment.

It didn't happen.

After hearing Penny's appeal Tuesday, Major League Baseball upheld his five-game suspension stemming from a March 10 spring-training brawl that erupted after Penny struck Guerrero with a pitch.

''They said I incited a bench-clearing brawl,'' Penny said after the hearing but before learning his fate. ``It isn't true. He [Guerrero] started it.''

The panel, which included baseball discipline czar Bob Watson and league president Bob DuPuy, heard Penny's case in Jupiter before deciding the original five-game suspension would stand. Now, Penny, who was penciled in as the Marlins' No. 2 starter, won't be allowed to play until April 6.

''I thought Penny's actions warranted the penalty that was imposed after the hearing was concluded,'' said DuPuy in an e-mail.

After drawing a menacing stare from Guerrero when he pitched inside to the Expos star, Penny's next pitch grazed the front of Guerrero's jersey. Guerrero, with his bat raised, charged after Penny, who came off the mound to confront the hitter. Guerrero swung at Penny and missed. Penny then swung at Guerrero and missed as well.

''If he had walked to first, nothing would have happened,'' Penny said.

Guerrero dropped his appeal in return for a one-game reduction in his suspension. That deal, agreed upon by the league and the Major League Players Association, was announced Tuesday morning -- before Penny's case was heard.

''Certainly it seems fair that if one gets reduced, the other should, too,'' Marlins manager Jeff Torborg said. A reduction in Penny's suspension would have helped the Marlins, who already are planning to start the season without No. 1 starter A.J. Burnett. Burnett is expected to start the year on the disabled list with an elbow problem and won't be able to start until April 5 -- the fifth game of the season -- at the earliest.

With Penny and Burnett out of the rotation, the Marlins moved Michael Tejera from the bullpen to make a fill-in start. Had Penny's suspension been reduced, the Marlins might have been able to keep Tejera in the bullpen and avoid additional disruption to the rotation. That won't happen now.

DuPuy didn't provide an explanation for why Guerrero's suspension was reduced, saying only that ''it was a negotiated settlement.'' Torborg said he didn't think there was much chance Penny's suspension also would be reduced because doing so would have enabled the pitcher to make a start within the first five games of the season.

''It was almost inevitable that his was not going to be changed,'' Torborg said.

``Otherwise, there would be no teeth in what they [the league] are trying to do. I saw it coming. Otherwise, it was a slap on the hand if they did nothing.''

Yet Torborg was surprised Guerrero's suspension was reduced.

''I didn't think they'd reduce anybody's day,'' Torborg said.

G

What a load of crap. Vlad and Mota got their suspensions lowered yesterday. Piazza probably will too yet Penny doesn't.

MLB hates the Marlins.

Marlins4lyf

Muckdog
Reaction score
What a load of crap. Vlad and Mota got their suspensions lowered yesterday. Piazza probably will too yet Penny doesn't.

MLB hates the Marlins.
not that they hate the Marlins... But i think that Vlad should gottan more and Penny less cuz Penny didnt do anything i dont think he would want to his Vlad (future teamate) on purpose.

Hotcorner

Muckdog
Reaction score
It's flat-out wrong. Guerrero had already stared down Penny for pitching inside, which already shows he was being a hothead. Then he gets grazed and walks toward the mound yelling with a bat in his hand yet somehow it's Penny who "incited a bench-clearing brawl"? Ridiculous.

AJBurnett34

Muckdog
Reaction score
Its Vlad's fault! If he hyadnt rushed to the mound there wouldnt be no suspensions. Penny threw punches at him to defend himself...Vlad should of gotten like 2 or 3 games more than penny!

RossInfoMan

Muckdog
Reaction score
Vlads suspension is still longer than Penny's. A 5-game suspension for a starting pitcher only means they miss 1 start. If they had reduced Penny's suspension, there would be no punishment.

G

Yeah, but they lowered Mota's to 4 games and his was obviously deliberate.

Das Texan

Loria can kiss my ass
VIP
Reaction score
isnt Mota a reliever?

Rune

Muckdog
Reaction score
Regardless, I stand by my disgruntled groan.
Would you rather it be 3 games so he still misses his start but it is not 5 games? That's silly.

It's either this or no suspension at all and I'm sorry but Penny can't go free.

G

Actually, Adam was right. I forgot Mota was a reliever. I was just covering up for my prior ignorance.

Das Texan

Loria can kiss my ass
VIP
Reaction score
ps...

Mota is a chicken s*** piece of trash....

AJBurnett34

Muckdog
Reaction score
ps...

Mota is a chicken s*** piece of trash....
Yep he should of standed up to Piazza...he wasnt gonna get hit anyways the catchers and umpires are blocking the way...one example that he isnt scared of no one is Julian Tavarez... :eek:

Das Texan

Loria can kiss my ass
VIP
Reaction score
i still love what nolan did to robin ventura.

classic.

dawg31

Muckdog
Reaction score
I would rather see Penny suspended than running like a girl, Mota was ridiculous. How embarrassing!!!!!

Latest posts

Top Bottom