What's new

James Rowson to be named bench coach and offensive coordinator

Michael

Marlin
VIP
Reaction score
Offensive coordinator? So is he going to call an audible when Brinson is at bat and tell him to try something else?

Jokersgoon

LumberKing
Reaction score
Pretty big get. Can’t say I’ve ever heard offensive coordinator as a title in baseball before.

CYmarlins

The Andy Man Can
Reaction score
I feel like Rowson wanted more so to be the bench coach but the Marlins wanted him to have a bigger input on hitting and they just found a middle ground. This is a good pickup regardless. Twins were incredible.

SilverBullet

Marlin
Reaction score
So they hired a guy to coordinate all the racist, sexist, and other offensive remarks made by people throughout the organization?

Very weird thing for the Marlins to be focused on but if they think it will help then I'm all for it.

Last edited:

SilverBullet

Marlin
Reaction score
Very interesting move, I love that they're revamping the entire organizational hitting philosophy instead of the usual move of just hiring a new hitting coach and hoping it works. This seems like a bold step forward.

With that said, why wasn't he hired as the hitting coach? I get that bench coach is considered a higher position but if he's in charge of hitting he's pretty much the hitting coach and whoever is titled hitting coach will basically be undermined and almost useless. "Why should I listen to you Mr Hitting Coach when the Bench Coach is the real Hitting Coach?"

Lastly, the Marlins had to have done some serious work to convince this guy to do this or they straight up overpaid for him because he was still the Twins coach so he really had no reason to leave there especially to come here. I mean who decides to leave a home run record holding offense on a playoff team for the chance to try and fix Lewis Brinson???

Michael

Marlin
VIP
Reaction score
Very interesting move, I love that they're revamping the entire organizational hitting philosophy instead of the usual move of just hiring a new hitting coach and hoping it works. This seems like a bold step forward.

With that said, why wasn't he hired as the hitting coach? I get that bench coach is considered a higher position but if he's in charge of hitting he's pretty much the hitting coach and whoever is titled hitting coach will basically be undermined and almost useless. "Why should I listen to you Mr Hitting Coach when the Bench Coach is the real Hitting Coach?"

Lastly, the Marlins had to have done some serious work to convince this guy to do this or they straight up overpaid for him because he was still the Twins coach so he really had no reason to leave there especially to come here. I mean who decides to leave a home run record holding offense on a playoff team for the chance to try and fix Lewis Brinson???
I guess being the coordinator, he'll work with the entire organization rather than just the MLB club.

SilverBullet

Marlin
Reaction score
I guess being the coordinator, he'll work with the entire organization rather than just the MLB club.
Right but then it still negates the MLB hitting coach/coaches. I would have thought he was named "hitting coach and offensive coordinator." That would seem to make more sense.

Michael

Marlin
VIP
Reaction score
Right but then it still negates the MLB hitting coach/coaches. I would have thought he was named "hitting coach and offensive coordinator." That would seem to make more sense.
I suppose it could also work out in a way where certain philosophies work with certain hitters. Rowson might not be the guy for everyone on the team while Pagliacci (is he still here?) has an approach that DOES work for some. Then you have Mattingly as well who may have his own ideas that work for other players, too. Lots of different ideas to float around here.

If, somehow, our pitching stays strong as it was this season and our hitting drastically improves, could take the league by storm in 2020.

Or because Marlins, it'll be very much like 2017. :(

CYmarlins

The Andy Man Can
Reaction score
I just think it brings conflict of positions in the end. He is the bench coach so his primary focus will be on that, but his opinion on hitting will trump that of whoever is named the hitting coach/coaches. But it seems Livesley and Duncan will be retained but their job titles will change.

SilverBullet

Marlin
Reaction score
I just think it brings conflict of positions in the end. He is the bench coach so his primary focus will be on that, but his opinion on hitting will trump that of whoever is named the hitting coach/coaches. But it seems Livesley and Duncan will be retained but their job titles will change.
Yea this.

FishFan95

Marlin
Reaction score
Maybe someone will be hired to be the hitting coach and bench coordinator.

FishFan95

Marlin
Reaction score
If, somehow, our pitching stays strong as it was this season and our hitting drastically improves, could take the league by storm in 2020.
Said by 20 of the 30 teams in baseball.

Latest posts

Top Bottom