What's new

Jason Stokes traded

butchy

Muckdog
Reaction score
to the Oakland A's for a AAA catcher ( I think his name was Baker) - I havent seen it in print yet but I did hear it from a reliable source while at Roger Dean today.

Shamrock

Muckdog
Reaction score
25yr old catcher. Has played in AAA the past two seasons with his best line coming last year at 273/361/386 = 747OPS
is said to be sound offensively.

Why did we do this? Did he request a trade?

farmer_fran

Muckdog
Reaction score
I've always thought Stokes wouldn't make it, but don't really see the point of giving up on him now. Stokes doesn't seem like a Billy Beane type guy either.

farmer_fran

Muckdog
Reaction score
we claimed baker last offseason and he went back to the A's.
I thought his name sounded familiar.

yandro

Muckdog
Reaction score
This might be a reason why...

OAKLAND, Calif. -- Oakland Athletics first baseman Dan Johnson will begin the season on the disabled list after being diagnosed with torn cartilage in his left hip, manager Bob Geren said Thursday.

Johnson was injured Monday in a collision at first with Colorado's Yorvit Torrealba. He was originally diagnosed with a strained hip flexor and listed as day-to-day, but additional tests revealed the tear.

The A's gave no indication how long Johnson would be out, but the 27-year-old Johnson could be sidelined up to three months.

"It depends on the treatment and what they plan to do," Geren said. "He's being evaluated further. We'll have a timetable after he's evaluated."

Johnson was batting .294 with two home runs and six RBIs this spring. He had been expected to open the regular season at first base after injuries to Mark Kotsay and Bobby Kielty forced the A's to use Nick Swisher in the outfield. Swisher started a team-leading 80 games at first base for Oakland in 2006.

Johnson's injury increases the likelihood the A's will keep veteran first baseman Erubiel Durazo on their roster. Durazo spent three seasons with the A's from 2003-05, but came to spring training this year as a non-roster invitee. The 32-year-old is batting .283 with two home runs and 14 RBIs this spring.

"I don't like to see anybody get hurt," Geren said. "But the team will have to go on, and Dan, when he's healthy, will go right back."

The A's placed Kotsay on the disabled list Wednesday. He underwent back surgery on March 8 and could be out until mid-June.
If nothing else, insurance I guess....

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
absolutely terrible trade for Florida

at best, Baker becomes a backup catcher... what is the point of giving up on Jason Stokes for this non prospect?

boggles the mind sometimes

butchy

Muckdog
Reaction score
Jason Stokes-1B-Athletics Mar. 30 - 6:47 pm et

Athletics acquired first baseman Jason Stokes from the Marlins for catcher John Baker.

An exchange of former prospects no longer on 40-man rosters. Stokes, 25, was once one of the top power prospects in baseball, but he's battled wrist problems and other injuries the last few years. The power may still be there now, but since he's always had trouble with breaking balls, all of the lost time is likely to cost him his chance of a career. That said, he does have more upside than Baker. He'll probably DH at Triple-A Sacramento.

John Baker-C-Marlins Mar. 30 - 6:44 pm et

Marlins acquired catcher John Baker from the Athletics for first baseman Jason Stokes.

Baker was Marlins property for a few weeks in Dec. 2005, getting claimed off waivers from the A's. However, the A's got him back when the Marlins tried to get him through waivers and he hit .273/.361/.386 for Triple-A Sacramento last season. The 26-year-old is strictly insurance for Florida

Reaction score
I like the deal. Trust me when I say this- Baker is a solid former prospect and Treanor's job is NOT secure anymore.

Baker even has the chance to be a future starter and should have a good offensive year in AAA.

Every Marlin fan on this board happens to hate every trade.....I just laugh. Owens and Lindstrom for Bostick and Vargas.....people said horrible trade! Beckett and Lowell for Hanley, Anibal, Jesus Delgado, and Harvey Garcia.....horrible trade! Who is Dontrelle Willis??!? Need I say more? Let Julio and Baker do their things and quit acting like some of you guys are GMs.....

and most people know that Jason Stokes will never live up to his potential. He would K 50% of his MLB ABs and his wrist will never be the same again!

Ramp

Muckdog
Reaction score
I like the deal. Trust me when I say this- Baker is a solid former prospect and Treanor's job is NOT secure anymore.

Baker even has the chance to be a future starter and should have a good offensive year in AAA.

Every Marlin fan on this board happens to hate every trade.....I just laugh. Owens and Lindstrom for Bostick and Vargas.....people said horrible trade! Beckett and Lowell for Hanley, Anibal, Jesus Delgado, and Harvey Garcia.....horrible trade! Who is Dontrelle Willis??!? Need I say more? Let Julio and Baker do their things and quit acting like some of you guys are GMs.....

and most people know that Jason Stokes will never live up to his potential. He would K 50% of his MLB ABs and his wrist will never be the same again!
:lol

ok, I trust you.

Eddie Altamonte

Muckdog
Reaction score

I don't know how much of a prospect Baker was before or really is at this point, but Beinfest really likes him without a doubt. It will be something more to keep an eye on this summer. I am sure Beinfest wants to keep this guy a phone call away. Stokes best chance would be as a DH at this point, talk about a career completely decimated and gone off-track. He was the best hitter within our organization for so long. Gotta wish him the best

FlummoxedLummox

Somewhere in the back of my head, there was a fantasy that Stokes would actually be healthy this year and play to his potential. Maybe even to the point where he'd warrant a call-up to platoon against lefties. That certainly won't be happening now. Can't say that I like this trade. (Not that Stokes was all that valuable, but at least he was OUR worthless piece of crap. Now we have an even more worthless piece of crap, who I couldn't care less about)

Eddie Altamonte

Muckdog
Reaction score
Somewhere in the back of my head, there was a fantasy that Stokes would actually be healthy this year and play to his potential. Maybe even to the point where he'd warrant a call-up to platoon against lefties. That certainly won't be happening now. Can't say that I like this trade. (Not that Stokes was all that valuable, but at least he was OUR worthless piece of crap. Now we have an even more worthless piece of crap, who I couldn't care less about)
Well the trade does give the organization a bit more catching depth which was desperately needed, I feel the same as you, it really puts a lump in my throat to know Stokes no longer is part of the Marlins' family

Top Bottom